Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The ski round-trip problem in the Northeast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instead of making two stops, drive 65 mph both ways instead of 77mph and you'll save time overall (adds only 10 minutes each way and avoids a lengthy Level 2 charging stop) and improve your Wh/mi. While cold temps reduce range because you have the heater running, speed above 65mph has an impact as well.

Might as well make it 55 mph right? Not a good way to impress the ski buddies, or other traffic on that highway. Besides, Loon is closest and least desirable. Bretton Woods is the real goal, and it doesn't matter how slow you go, just won't make it.

Why Bretton Woods? Seems smaller and less challenging than Loon.

Loon is a zoo anytime I've gone. I've literally waiting 40 minutes in like for the gondolla, but really long waits for any lift. Without pulling up the resort stats, Bretton Wood feels a lot bigger, you spend very little time on lifts and in lines. It's also fun. No mountain on the east coast is really "challenging" anyway. Not like Snowbird, etc.

Also knowing this about Loon, and that you get redirected to the overflow lot anyway, makes me think there's like a 1% chance of anyone landing a destination charger there. So awesome if you get it, but don't count on it.

I've owned my Model S for 2 years now (approaching 60k miles) and travel to VT each weekend for skiing. I've been doing this before there was a Supercharger in West Hartford, West Springfield or Brattleboro. Let's not forget, we are still early adopters which means there may be minor inconveniences to allow for a new approach. There weren't gas stations everywhere when the 1st cars were built. The infrastructure takes time to build out and Tesla has done an extraordinary job making long distance travel a reality. I don't worry about speed or temp anymore as I head up North. I've also done a road trip to FL and back with two teenagers. It's was surprisingly enjoyable to all. They knew where we were stopping and researched what was there before we arrived. Be Patient.

Loon is a zoo anytime I've gone. I've literally waiting 40 minutes in like for the gondolla, but really long waits for any lift. Without pulling up the resort stats, Bretton Wood feels a lot bigger, you spend very little time on lifts and in lines. It's also fun. No mountain on the east coast is really "challenging" anyway. Not like Snowbird, etc.

Also knowing this about Loon, and that you get redirected to the overflow lot anyway, makes me think there's like a 1% chance of anyone landing a destination charger there. So awesome if you get it, but don't count on it.

Bretton Woods is bigger, but perhaps not quite as challenging - definitely not as challenging as Cannon, I haven't been to Loon in a long time. A few of us are still pushing BW to get destination chargers at the ski base, but in the meantime there are two 240v NEMA 14-50s by the Omni Mt. Washington hotel that I've used a number of times, reliably getting 25+ MPH, and I've never seen two cars at once. A bit more of a hassle as you need to take the free shuttle bus back to the base, but comes in handy.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP