Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like that I left the nub and just rounded it off this way there is no way it can slip, there is no need to cover with plastic or nylon as the pad is very small and only makes contact with the jack points
There is a need, I believe. All metal jack pads have a non-metal gasket of sorts. Hockey puck or composite non-metal pads don’t need a gasket as those materials are softer and easier on the paint surrounding the jack point hole.

Not sure what mswlogo answer you are referring to, but if you round the nub on your Porsche jack, it'll only fit in the jack pad holes. That's kinda the point.

As I noted on the opening post, I don't like jacking up ANY car from the body. It twists the body and you have to jack it up a lot higher. If you don't know how, don't do it. If you want to jack up from the body either file the nub on the Jack or take it off completely and use a standard Model 3 lifting puck. You should practice jacking up the car and not wait until your possible first emergency.

I need to test the Jack on my Model X now.

Hmmm, I guess more votes for rounding the nub? and if it does indeed only take 10 minutes, I should just try rounding first, then see where it leads me to. And yes, I do intend to give practice before using it in actual emergency situation. Thank you everyone!

Edit: I guess for rounding the nub, I can just use the manual metal file that I posted earlier correct?

Hmmm, I guess more votes for rounding the nub? and if it does indeed only take 10 minutes, I should just try rounding first, then see where it leads me to. And yes, I do intend to give practice before using it in actual emergency situation. Thank you everyone!

Edit: I guess for rounding the nub, I can just use the manual metal file that I posted earlier correct?
I used a fiber disc on a 4 1/2" angle grinder and it took less than 1 min.
others have used a file and said something like 10 min.
the 60 grit stone you linked would be less than 5 min is my guess

if you want precision and are looking for the best finished look go for the file, I gouged mine a little with the grinding disc but looks were not important, it still works just fine and again pictures of what i did to mine are on post #15 of this thread

I used a fiber disc on a 4 1/2" angle grinder and it took less than 1 min.
others have used a file and said something like 10 min.
the 60 grit stone you linked would be less than 5 min is my guess

if you want precision and are looking for the best finished look go for the file, I gouged mine a little with the grinding disc but looks were not important, it still works just fine and again pictures of what i did to mine are on post #15 of this thread

I don't mind the look so as long as it's functional, so I think I'll most likely go with the grit stone. Going back to your post #15 after actually receiving and seeing the jack, I now understand what you did. Thanks again!

Reactions: gilscales
I'm sure they will eventually rust, this one jack point here scrapped on a large speed bump or something I guess?
I'm not really concerned about this area having rust so bad it will compromise the strength of the steel, my best guess is here in CA it might take 10 to 15 years to do that much damage, I could be wrong though?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_18ac.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_18ac.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 254
Just picked up the Porshe OEM aluminum spare jack from partssociety.com for $65. Came with foam insert too.

I wonder if it would looks like the following: Cayenne AWD Porsche 955 Jack Lift ?

12_44b96123-129f-4cbd-bbfb-b5a8a69ad867.jpg

- I have a similar one made of aluminium from an Audi.

This is not really strong enough to raise the full car. I use it at the front and use a scissor on at the rear.

I would also recomment to get a square pice od 10"x10" pice of wood in case you will have to raise the car above mud.

And also to design a Hockey Puck to help center the jack just under the lifting area hole.

s-l640.jpg