Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The perfect Model 3 emergency jack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning, @mswlogo - Before I or others locate a OEM Porsche jack, can you confirm for all of us the following, from actual experience. Pictures would be helpful also.

1. The jack has the range to lift (from the jack point and not the control arm) from a flat tire low height to an inflated tire off the ground height (without having to drive up on boards first, etc.) I didn’t think the jack you propose had the range. IIRC, the max height was less than 11”

2. The jack, with a ratchet can actually lift a corner of the M3, weight wise, from the jack point.

Thank you.

@mswlogo - Okay, I bit the bullet and bought a Porsche kit on eBay....

Reactions: mswlogo
Good morning, @mswlogo - Before I or others locate a OEM Porsche jack, can you confirm for all of us the following, from actual experience. Pictures would be helpful also.

1. The jack has the range to lift (from the jack point and not the control arm) from a flat tire low height to an inflated tire off the ground height (without having to drive up on boards first, etc.) I didn’t think the jack you propose had the range. IIRC, the max height was less than 11”

2. The jack, with a ratchet can actually lift a corner of the M3, weight wise, from the jack point.

Thank you.

looks like @KenC answered your question.

The ratchet actually has more leverage than the OEM crank he used. The Crank is probably only a 4-6” lever.

I personally don’t like jacking cars from the body. Especially the model 3. Unibody cars do flex. With all the glass roof issues I don’t like putting the body under that twisting stress. The body lift points are ideally designed for a 4 point car lift. I would not even let my inspection guy jack up a corner of the body. I may be overly cautious. I always have jacked up my cars with lower control arm.

BTW I tested my Porsche jack on my Jeep Summit first and its 5000 lbs.

I did give the heights of the jack collapsed and extended height. I was actually surprised by @KenC by how high he did get the Model 3 (on grass) with the Porsche jack.

I keep meaning to add a hunk of PVC board to my emergency kit in case I’m on soft ground.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
After I jacked up the rear wheel, I decided to put a ⅝" piece of Ipe under the jack to prevent sinking, before I jacked it up all the way.
IMG_3182.jpg

@mswlogo - My $125 Porsche jack kit arrived today and the first order of business was cleaning and re-greasing (it was nice and new looking, but still) - that's after I filed the knob down to it into the M3 jack plug hole. I used another jack plugs large rubber washer for the top pad of the Porsche jack. I was quite surprised how light the whole kit is. So, I decided to just throw it into the truck's truck now rather than my original plan - which was to pack all of that tire repair stuff only when going on a long road trip. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: KenC
My $125 Porsche jack kit arrived today and the first order of business was cleaning and re-greasing (it was nice and new looking, but still) - that's after I filed the knob down to it into the M3 jack plug hole. I used another jack plugs large rubber washer for the top pad of the Porsche jack. I was quite surprised how light the whole kit is. So, I decided to just throw it into the truck's truck now rather than my original plan - which was to pack all of that tire repair stuff only when going on a long road trip. Thanks for the tip!

Pics of the finished product after filing down the knob ? How long did it take to file ?

Thanks !! Did you get one of the sets with the foam holder ? There is an ebay seller about 15 miles from me in Rancho Cordova, CA that has about 6 sets for sale. Trying to decide if I need the foam holder or not...

Yes, I got the foam, the crank and jack for $125. The seller was in Rancho Cordova, California, so the same person. Ebay screen name is "specializedgerman". I purchased this one...

1999-2004 Porsche 911 996 Boxster 986 Spare Tire Emergency Tool Kit Foam 9967221 | eBay

Been busy on my latest Echo Auto mod. Details here...
Echo Auto In Model 3

@mswlogo - My $125 Porsche jack kit arrived today and the first order of business was cleaning and re-greasing (it was nice and new looking, but still) - that's after I filed the knob down to it into the M3 jack plug hole. I used another jack plugs large rubber washer for the top pad of the Porsche jack. I was quite surprised how light the whole kit is. So, I decided to just throw it into the truck's truck now rather than my original plan - which was to pack all of that tire repair stuff only when going on a long road trip. Thanks for the tip!

Truck's truck? Not keeping it for Model 3 in it's Trunk?

I re-greased mine too.

I hope it can lift a Model X ;)

So, is the below link correct one?

1999-2004 Porsche 911 996 Boxster 986 Spare Tire Emergency Tool Kit Foam 9967221 | eBay

What else would I need with it? I'm thinking of below ones mswlogo referenced?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1JNZP0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3P56LYOG94570&psc=1 (This is to take the wheels off?)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GYR28VM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3HFUC27WX97EL&psc=1 (Not sure what this for but do I need this?)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CCGNDN8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1S731XAYKTTWV&psc=1 (and what is this used for? If this is to take the wheels off, shouldn't the first one be enough?)

Lastly, what is this grinding and re-greasing you're speaking of? Can you advise what to grind and re-grease, and possibly post links to a grinder and re-greaser?

After reading the entire thread, I am pretty much set on buying the Porsche jack. However, I just want to be sure I buy all things necessary in order to make it work. Thanks!