Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The FitcamX dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVer Hopeful

Jul 7, 2021
Texas
I just installed a FitcamX dashcam in the Y. I've had Viofo cameras in my vehicles for a while now, but the FitcamX has two major benefits
  1. It records in 4k
  2. It's made to look like a factory installation, rather than an after market addon
The only downsides I see are that unlike a Viofo, it doesn't have a screen, so you can't be certain that it's recording. There are three lights that you can check, but as they point to the side you'll have to crane your neck a little to verify they're illuminated

Also you have to run the cable through the headliner and down the B pillar, so it's a little work to install it and more than a little scary pulling off all that trim (especially if your car is new!) but it hides all the wiring (which is another plus really). It gets power from the CAN bus behind the centre console, so I'm not sure how that works if you're already tapping into that

It has wireless connectivity so you can see the videos (or watch them in real time) on your phone, but I switched that off as it appeared to interfere with the way I listen to Audio books through the phone. I still have to research that. It records to a micro SD card and comes with a USB reader for the card

It's a little pricey at over $200 (there are coupons available for 5, maybe 10% off if you search), but that's cheap if you get involved in an accident and it helps your case

Here's a pic of the camera from their website, I'll take some from my installation later. You can see how it's built into the mirror assembly and looks like a factory installation

1699538152030.png

Here's a video of how to remove the headliner (though you don't neead to remove it completely, just lower it on the front and on one side). The lower part of the B pillar has one bolt that'll need removing

This one will help you get into the mirror housing. Be careful to not break the windshield!