Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The "Bug"...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some IT work for a client in USA many years ago. We needed to take 4 or 5 PCs offsite for something that I now forget and we put them all on the back seat, in plain sight, 'coz they wouldn't fit in the trunk ... leaving late at night we were stopped by security at the gate, "Pop the trunk please", he checked it with a torch and waved us on with a have-a-nice-evening ... :cool:

Let me start off saying, I am a car guy and I am a noob to this forum (second post). I do this all the time, I find something to obsess over, rather it be a BMW 535i, a Nissan Maxima, or my current....A Cadillac CTS-V. I gotta have it, the car...something comes over me and I'm like, I want to buy it now!!! With the V, I love (loved) her. Power, elegance, and beauty. But she is a bit thirsty. I feel like that Volkswagen commercial that everyone knows your name at the gas station because you go there so often. Plus, it is not that roomy, I like to be able to stretch out a bit with my passengers. Now that I have a daughter, I definitely need more room. I have been looking for a replacement for her for some time now. Been looking at Audi S7, Porsche Panamera Turbo, and was considering a BMW 550i. Now enter the Tesla. My wife and I test drove one and I was blown away...and that was from the earlier one. I could have all the power and tons of space with no gas station stops (well, maybe for gum at least) in one. So here comes life...I had to retire from the military, mainly because of sequestration. Oh well, I see another deployment (been on 7 already, I'm tired, someone else go!) to fight ISIS on the horizon anyway so I'll take my merger little retirement check (one that I have to fight for) and leave. Now, I have an "ok" job. It pays the bills just not enough for a big P85D, or a brand new 90D the way I want it for that matter. So I may have to settle for a little older one to satisfy this "bug". My only draw back about the Tesla is that there is no exhaust noise. I can be one of those guys that you hear driving from three blocks away, but that gets old. Getting up for the gym in the morning waking up the whole house is not cool anymore (maybe with the wife, looking so peaceful sleeping while I have to go lift heavy amount of things until I ache...maybe I'll kick the bed on the way out (heh, heh!). I love the fact that more things are coming out to allow you to personalize your car more. How do some of you gear heads get over not being able to show off your motors and tell tales of how you ported the heads personally? Thanks for reading my story!
thanks for your service to the country!

I am a nerd and never liked the stupid noise of an ICE, even when I was a teen. I thought it sounded like a dumb idea to have thousands of tiny explosions, each with so little time that they made lots of nasty poisons. It just sounded really crude.

So, people that stay in love with that sound will be considered on par with people that love the sound of an old steam train, etc. i..e. geezer alert! ;)

I hear you, in that you fear you are losing something. Fear not! You gain so much more. The technology, the approval of complete strangers, the money not spent on fuel, etc. How about one thing you seem to enjoy: the speed and power.
Now, you may not be able to afford a brand new P90D. Not many are. So, let's go with a comparison of what might be:
  1. You are in your CTS-V, and you nail the go-pedal: You know what that will happen, and then it's happening and you've got that grin, and your passengers are all wide-eyed.
  2. You are in your S 90D, and you nail the go-pedal: You kn... whoa! What just happened? You've got that grin, and everyone in the car is wide-eyed and silent for a few seconds while they come to grips with the acceleration.
Don't get too hung up on the numbers. My lowly S70 RWD stops conversations in their tracks. I would not call it slow at all. It has similar 0-60 numbers as my WRX's of the past, but delivers them very differently. It is much more of a relentless irresistible force, whereas the Subies were frenetic and manual and a bit of a roller-coaster. The thrust from a standstill is unmatched and can be enjoyed at legal speeds, which is kind of neat!
So, a 90D that cuts a second off the 0-60 time that I have must be quite the ride.

My suggestion is go for a used 85D if you want to save money and need the car now. Also, the new 60 kwh Model S isn't bad at all, it has a 75 kwh battery that is software-limited to 60 kwh.

If you can wait a bit longer, Model 3 is much cheaper.

My only draw back about the Tesla is that there is no exhaust noise....How do some of you gear heads get over not being able to show off your motors and tell tales of how you ported the heads personally?

Thanks for your service. Let 'em kill each other over there and bring our boys home - that's my opinion. But I'm off topic...

I don't miss the noise myself - thought I would. Long history of being into sports cars all my life - Integra GSR first car, several E36 BMW M3's, twin turbo Toyota Supra 6-speed with no cats, twin turbo 300ZX also with straight pipes. Lots of track days, driving schools, cars and coffee, president of a sports car club, etc.

Finally moved on to the Italians as I got older and career moved forward.

So - I tell you this - I don't miss a darn one of 'em. There is only one engine note I still crave - and that's the sound of a Ferrari F355 V8 wound up above 5000 rpm. That is God's own engine and it will never get old. :)

I also miss the world's most perfect chassis and handling - the 1995 E36 BMW M3 - a total pleasure to steer with your foot when on the edge of its grip.

But aside from that - once you go Tesla it's hard to go back.

I do hear that your Caddy has a very well balanced chassis and is a blast on the track!

Thanks for your service. Let 'em kill each other over there and bring our boys home - that's my opinion. But I'm off topic...

I don't miss the noise myself - thought I would. Long history of being into sports cars all my life - Integra GSR first car, several E36 BMW M3's, twin turbo Toyota Supra 6-speed with no cats, twin turbo 300ZX also with straight pipes. Lots of track days, driving schools, cars and coffee, president of a sports car club, etc.

Finally moved on to the Italians as I got older and career moved forward.

So - I tell you this - I don't miss a darn one of 'em. There is only one engine note I still crave - and that's the sound of a Ferrari F355 V8 wound up above 5000 rpm. That is God's own engine and it will never get old. :)

I also miss the world's most perfect chassis and handling - the 1995 E36 BMW M3 - a total pleasure to steer with your foot when on the edge of its grip.

But aside from that - once you go Tesla it's hard to go back.

I do hear that your Caddy has a very well balanced chassis and is a blast on the track!

Thank you, although I have never tracked my caddy (that's sad, I know...) I was driving it the other day to get my haircut and the exhaust was annoying, but fun to play with otherwise! I did do the drive 3 laps in an exotic car, it was a Ferrari, very fun but I couldn't imagine going long distance with it, my ears would be toast! I was driving and seen a beautiful white refreshed MS and almost ran into the median! Then I was getting my car washed and a silver MS with 21" Grey turbines rolled down the road with red calipers and I almost to pick my car! (These are signs I say!)

Reactions: callmesam and e-FTW
Thank you, although I have never tracked my caddy (that's sad, I know...) I was driving it the other day to get my haircut and the exhaust was annoying, but fun to play with otherwise! I did do the drive 3 laps in an exotic car, it was a Ferrari, very fun but I couldn't imagine going long distance with it, my ears would be toast! I was driving and seen a beautiful white refreshed MS and almost ran into the median! Then I was getting my car washed and a silver MS with 21" Grey turbines rolled down the road with red calipers and I almost to pick my car! (These are signs I say!)
Your reaction is the ultimate sign... :)
And you can paint your calipers yourself if you want to, many folks have. Add one of those third-party wings, tint, awesome wheels, etc.

My suggestion is go for a used 85D if you want to save money and need the car now. Also, the new 60 kwh Model S isn't bad at all, it has a 75 kwh battery that is software-limited to 60 kwh.

If you can wait a bit longer, Model 3 is much cheaper.

I think that's what I'm leaning towards, is a 85D. Ultimately, if I could find a P85 with auto pilot that would be great for me. I have realize that driving a 565 hp car, there really is no going back! The 85D and P85 have that feel for me, it's looking more towards December though, it's going to be a great Christmas!

Reactions: e-FTW
Former Corvette owner here who was in the market and ready to pull the trigger on a new Z06--I casually walked into the Tesla store in the mall just to fart around and later got lured into a test drive. The wind up? My Tesla's being delivered in a few weeks.

I see I'm not the only one! I think if I did an overnight test drive....I would never give the car back!

Reactions: e-FTW and Mickie
I am a nerd and never liked the stupid noise of an ICE, even when I was a teen. I thought it sounded like a dumb idea to have thousands of tiny explosions, each with so little time that they made lots of nasty poisons. It just sounded really crude.

So, people that stay in love with that sound will be considered on par with people that love the sound of an old steam train, etc. i..e. geezer alert! ;)

Hey, no school like the ol school!

Would you consider it a sports car?
I'd call it a luxury sports sedan that trounces the likes of dedicated, impractical sports cars across the board. For perspective, dragtimes.com did a performance test on the older RWD 60 (max 60 output) using a vbox. The car rushed to 60 in 5.1 seconds (Tesla advertised it as 5.9 0-60) and breezed the quarter in 13.7 Tesla Model S 60 kWh vs Tesla Model S 85 kWh Performance. A whole .8 of a second faster than advertised puts no doubt in my mind the new 60D that actually carries the performance of a 75 battery which Tesla advertises as 5.2 0-60, will do the dash to 60mph in the mid to upper 4s and the quarter in the low 13s. Add to this the unique way the car utilizes torque and the complete elimination of having to "dump" gears as with a traditional gearbox, and well.. you got yourself a machine, man :cool:

I'd call it a luxury sports sedan that trounces the likes of dedicated, impractical sports cars across the board. For perspective, dragtimes.com did a performance test on the older RWD 60 (max 60 output) using a vbox. The car rushed to 60 in 5.1 seconds (Tesla advertised it as 5.9 0-60) and breezed the quarter in 13.7 Tesla Model S 60 kWh vs Tesla Model S 85 kWh Performance. A whole .8 of a second faster than advertised puts no doubt in my mind the new 60D that actually carries the performance of a 75 battery which Tesla advertises as 5.2 0-60, will do the dash to 60mph in the mid to upper 4s and the quarter in the low 13s. Add to this the unique way the car utilizes torque and the complete elimination of having to "dump" gears as with a traditional gearbox, and well.. you got yourself a machine, man :cool:

I really got to do some more homework on the 60 then!

Also, on what you can do to make your car yours: Pictures of my bad ass black Tesla model S!

E-FTW, are you a Tesla sales rep!? Lol, no really, I just want to get the buyers remorse and be like ", man, I should have went for more power!" The range is really not the issue, just the get and go and by no means I am calling your car slow....hell, I'm here asking you guys for advice!

BTW...that video...O.M.G., sexy!!! If I do get a CPO, I would do the aftermarket front bumper.