Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The AP Lane Keeping Bias to the Right is Not Safe, please fix this Elon!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To close the loop on this thread, one of the recent minor 7.1 updates seems to have made this vastly better. I no longer feel like I'm going to ram cars in the lane next to me, and I notice that the bias away from curbs and barriers is much more gentle and measured.

Significantly better. Thanks, Tesla!

To close the loop on this thread, one of the recent minor 7.1 updates seems to have made this vastly better. I no longer feel like I'm going to ram cars in the lane next to me, and I notice that the bias away from curbs and barriers is much more gentle and measured.

Significantly better. Thanks, Tesla!

Really? I was just getting ready to write an email to Tesla. There have been several times where I took control back, I have a feeling a collision may have been imminent. The car still seems to completley ignore cars in the lane to the right, and leaves a huge gap to the yellow lan marker to the left, even thought there 20+ feet of grass on the other side of it. Actually, the front ultrasonics don't even seem to go off for cars, only curbs.

Really? I was just getting ready to write an email to Tesla. There have been several times where I took control back, I have a feeling a collision may have been imminent. The car still seems to completley ignore cars in the lane to the right, and leaves a huge gap to the yellow lan marker to the left, even thought there 20+ feet of grass on the other side of it. Actually, the front ultrasonics don't even seem to go off for cars, only curbs.

Yes, really. I drive the exact same route every day, at the same time. It's without a doubt better. Not quite perfect, but getting close. I have 2.13.120. What version do you have?

Yes, really. I drive the exact same route every day, at the same time. It's without a doubt better. Not quite perfect, but getting close. I have 2.13.120. What version do you have?

I also forgot to mention, that the car almost seems to dive for the car in the right lane just as your front bumper is near their rear bumper. You can feel a little blip in the steering wheel. I was thinking to myself "maybe my ultrasonics are wired backwards" but they seem to be correct when parking.

I also forgot to mention, that the car almost seems to dive for the car in the right lane just as your front bumper is near their rear bumper. You can feel a little blip in the steering wheel. I was thinking to myself "maybe my ultrasonics are wired backwards" but they seem to be correct when parking.

I don't see this at all with the latest build. Dramatically better than the initial 7.1 rollout IMHO.

I don't see any bias at all. Perfectly centered all the time.

What I noticed was when there is a truck to my right (or left) my preference usually is to move away and hug the line to the left (or right) so as to leave a much larger gap between me and the truck. But AP sticks to the center religiously, which is fine by me, except it is different from natural behavior.

Initially I thought why is my car so close to the truck, but then realized it is not. Just an apparent illusion next to a monster vehicle.

Google car does truck lane bias right.
Watched a presentation at SXSW by the Google Car people and one of the things mentioned was that when alongside a truck/18 wheeler they bias the car toward the left and away from the truck. Seems like the smart thing to do. Almost seems like Tesla bias is toward the truck. Comment about passing trucks at 12 min 10 sec into talk.

Watched a presentation at SXSW by the Google Car people and one of the things mentioned was that when alongside a truck/18 wheeler they bias the car toward the left and away from the truck. Seems like the smart thing to do. Almost seems like Tesla bias is toward the truck. Comment about passing trucks at 12 min 10 sec into talk.

I only watched a little bit beyond the bit about shifting away from the truck, but braking just to get out of another driver's blind spot? Wouldn't just easing up a hair on the accelerator work almost as well, and be a heck of a lot more efficient?

I wonder if "braking" with the brake lights being shown in the video and everything, was really just an exaggeration for demonstration purposes, and in reality the cars just eased off the gas a bit.

Last edited:
I only watched a little bit beyond the bit about shifting away from the truck, but braking just to get out of another driver's blind spot? Wouldn't just easing up a hair on the accelerator work almost as well, and be a heck of a lot more efficient?

I wonder if "braking" with the brake lights being showin in the video and everything, was really just an exaggeration for demonstration purposes, and in reality the cars just eased off the gas a bit.
Maybe they meant regen. ;)

Yep, this was fixed sometime in the last few weeks.
No, it has not been fixed with the latest update. I have the latest update, 2.14.66, and the car still has a tendency in the car pool lane to shift closer to vehicles in the lane to the right of me. It tends to happen on curves and it is happening on the 405 FWY in Tesla's back yard. I have had to take control several times in the last week because of this. I think it was better a couple of updates ago.

No, it has not been fixed with the latest update. I have the latest update, 2.14.66, and the car still has a tendency in the car pool lane to shift closer to vehicles in the lane to the right of me. It tends to happen on curves and it is happening on the 405 FWY in Tesla's back yard. I have had to take control several times in the last week because of this. I think it was better a couple of updates ago.

Would you be up for going out driving together and filming each other's Teslas? Mine is a 2016 70D also on the latest update. I'm very curious to see if different cars actually behave differently or if these reported anomalies are a difference in how different owners perceive the cars' behavior.

We could pick a stretch of freeway and set up a couple of dash cams - do some repeated runs. Would be quite interesting for the community.

Tesla is on record stating that the Model S does exactly that as well, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any truth at all to their claim...

What I have observed is, when I am passing a big truck, my 'S' is just centered as usual. That is - it behaves as if the truck does not exist and does not nudge even an inch towards the other lane. This is contrary to human behavior where we instinctively move away from the truck and give a larger space between the two vehicles. So it did make me nervous initially, although not any more knowing being centered is just as good.

I am guessing some of us may feel a right bias perhaps because we prefer a bit more space when a truck is there next to us, than say a small car.