Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 5,000 Mile Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 12.03.53.png
Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 12.36.44.png
Looking in my Loot Box I have just under 5,000 miles of free SuC miles left, to be used up by 14 December.

At the same time I am dying for a road trip, but the scope for long-haul European travel is uncertain.

Also my last contract ended 28 Feb but I also have a meagre pension so I have plenty of time while money is tight but not zero.

Putting those things together I am having thought about how to constructively combine these constraints to form some kind of project.

It struck me that driving around the perimeter of Great Britain might approximate to 5,000 miles, so I have been plotting a plausible route at ABetterRoutePlanner.com to see how feasible it is and how long it might take.

It is clear that it is stretching ABRP -- and the SuC network -- to their limits. Several times the site failed to return anything, and a couple of times it came back by saying it could not generate a route, but here was the nearest it could manage.

I'm still working on this, but the route it did suggest was 8000 miles long and would take 40 hours driving - say a month and a half allowing 200 miles a day.

This is a lot of driving under grey British skies to use up SuC miles -- also my wife is not happy about the idea..!

Alternatively (that is, if we had free movement and the British were not seen as a pariah nation, hostile to foreigners and riddled with Covid), we could just drive 4250 miles to Athens and back..:rolleyes:

Screenshot 2020-07-16 at 12.03.53.png

We're going to Venice is September, i don't foresee any issues. Go to Athens, they'll be grateful for your tourist dosh

Be aware though that Austria currently has a requirement for a negative covid test dated within 4 days of entry - this is not required if you're just passing through and not spending the night - everywhere else is open.

• Informative
Reactions: Cogarch
I know the point is to use your SC miles, but using a few charge place Scotland points up north might reduce the time spent going to/from and charging at avimore? Lots of options up round the north.

Avimore is -nice-, but it's not that nice.
Yes I was going to do a variant not restricted to Superchargers but ABRP was just too exhausted to process any amends to the model..!

• Funny
Reactions: Avendit
So I have now managed to persuade the long-suffering ABRP to let me use non-Tesla chargers, and am beginning to come up with a viable route. Accommodation or finding places to park up and sleep in the car would be the biggest issue I think..

It would take just under 128 hours, with 109 driving hours (i.e. a reasonable average of 38 mph, given the likely size of the windy roads involved - one downer would be the likely almost complete absence of Autopilot availability). Probably about a 3 week trip at 6 hours per day.

On reflection I might specify a requirement to only use non-Tesla chargers enough to get me to the next SuC -- otherwise I'll never burn my 5,000 miles.. Aviemore seems to be being completely ignored..

It's also (only) 4150 miles. Maybe if I throw in a few laps of the Isle of Wight...?

Screenshot 2020-07-20 at 23.12.35.png

So I have now managed to persuade the long-suffering ABRP to let me use non-Tesla chargers, and am beginning to come up with a viable route. Accommodation or finding places to park up and sleep in the car would be the biggest issue I think..

It would take just under 128 hours, with 109 driving hours (i.e. a reasonable average of 38 mph, given the likely size of the windy roads involved - one downer would be the likely almost complete absence of Autopilot availability). Probably about a 3 week trip at 6 hours per day.

On reflection I might specify a requirement to only use non-Tesla chargers enough to get me to the next SuC -- otherwise I'll never burn my 5,000 miles.. Aviemore seems to be being completely ignored..

It's also (only) 4150 miles. Maybe if I throw in a few laps of the Isle of Wight...?

Ironically I'm planning a similar route to you around Skye and the NC500 for end of August! One thing to be aware of though is that ABRP has you taking the Mallaig Ferry, I checked that last week and found their last sailing for the day was at 2pm... they're on a limited timetable due to Covid. In our case we're still having to drive up and around as there's no way to do that from Glasgow without skipping most of our enroute stops.

• Informative
I'm doing a similar version of

Ironically I'm planning a similar route to you around Skye and the NC500 for end of August! One thing to be aware of though is that ABRP has you taking the Mallaig Ferry, I checked that last week and found their last sailing for the day was at 2pm... they're on a limited timetable due to Covid. In our case we're still having to drive up and around as there's no way to do that from Glasgow without skipping most of our enroute stops.
Thank you -- haven't got into that level of detail yet but very good advice. My route assumes that I shall be travelling anti-clockwise.

This is a lot of driving under grey British skies to use up SuC miles -- also my wife is not happy about the idea..!

I think your wife isn't wrong!!

If you have never been I would suggest you plan a trip to take in the Alps of South France, Switzerland and Italy, than dash through Germany (via the 'ring) and head to the Arctic pole via the Atlantic highway.

Am not sure what the millage count will be but I can promise you the trip will be one you remeber forever and in a good way :).

COVID or not, give me the chance to forget about been a parent/work, I will be on crossing the channel aiming for the Alps by lunchtime today if I could!! Simply the best roads and scenery I've ever seen or had the pleasure to drive on!

49850654931_1688351911_c_d.jpg

14859778648_f69dfdd90d_b_d.jpg

15043301621_fcc503e410_o_d.jpg

Last edited:
Wonderful idea and spectacular shots @gangzoom ... I can assure you if we could afford a proper holiday this year this is is one option I would seriously consider! Basically if I had the choice I would probably just be touring all the time for most of my retirement...

Awkward detail: my wife finds the Model 3 passenger seat incredibly uncomfortable..:(

Reactions: gangzoom
Wonderful idea and spectacular shots @gangzoom ... I can assure you if we could afford a proper holiday this year this is is one option I would seriously consider!

Just had a look there are rooms in Interlaken in August for around £75/night. Last time I check a Travel lodge around Manchester was over £100/night!! Get some cheap food from the local Aldi, and I doubt it'll be much more expensive than staying in Cornwall or similar in the UK.

Plus convincing your wife to spend 10-20 days driving around the mountains of Europe am sure would help with getting the go ahead versus a slugging it on UK A roads :).

• Helpful
I think your wife isn't wrong!!

If you have never been I would suggest you plan a trip to take in the Alps of South France, Switzerland and Italy, than dash through Germany (via the 'ring) and head to the Arctic pole via the Atlantic highway.

Am not sure what the millage count will be but I can promise you the trip will be one you remeber forever and in a good way :).

COVID or not, give me the chance to forget about been a parent/work, I will be on crossing the channel aiming for the Alps by lunchtime today if I could!! Simply the best roads and scenery I've ever seen or had the pleasure to drive on!

49850654931_1688351911_c_d.jpg

14859778648_f69dfdd90d_b_d.jpg

15043301621_fcc503e410_o_d.jpg
Simply stunning !!