Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 1st 8 Cameras Dash Cam (DVR) installed on a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a test drive last Saturday and suggested to the PS that Tesla should include at least a front and back dash cam as an option. Of course, the option can include more cameras and features subject to the individual need of the owners.

My model S is arriving late December/Early January an I was thinking of installing a Blackvue DR650GW - 2CH until I saw this system. Unfortunately I'm in the UK and its a bit of a trek to get my car to your garage, being cheeky can I ask what are the specs and model numbers of the cameras and DVR that you are using in this install so I can purchase it myself or is it possible to supply me with the equipment so I can install it myself?

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

done correctly this install requires various panels removed to access existing cable channels and holes are drilled into the wing mirror mounts to house 4 front /rear side cams. Cam kit comes from Taiwan with installation instructions in Chinese. I'm reliably informed operation is fairly intuitive following basic instruction.

can include a dashboard cam and apparently is widely used by the Police here with that setup?

May need to find a local solution if you can't get your car over to Jerry's for a quick install (apparently only 1 biz day needed).

Ian,

Contact Jerry at the number above. Country code for HK is +852. One of the HK Tesla owners who has this system also installed four of these units on his own in the US. If you are comfortable removing panels on your car and basic car wiring it isn't that difficult but is time consuming. As Editot indicates, the hardest part mentally is drilling holes in the mirror housing.

There might be a UK distributor and dealers for this product. If you contact Jerry he can find out for you if there is a UK distributor.

Thanks all! Lots of great info in this thread.
This looks like a very extensive setup. I'm only looking to install 1 dash cam on my model S.

Tesla seems to be ok with us pulling out all the liners etc to hide the cables, but if we get power from the 12V fuse box is that ok with tesla? I don't want to end up without a warranty on the car.

Anyone out there who got a cam installed on their car in HK?
Can anyone had experience with bring their car back to tesla after the installation?

Will Jerry do simple system like 1 dash cam? The contact that I got from the Tesla sales doesn't seem to have installed cams on tesla before when I asked him.

Sorry for the late reply as I’ve been extremely busy with work and family (new born). Thank you EBill for chipping in!

Per EBill “One of the HK Tesla owners who has this system also installed four of these units on his own in the US” I think Bill is referring to me. I’ve installed quite of few 8 cameras dash cam throughout the states for family and friends. Here’s a few pics with 8 cameras installed on my P85D in August right after I took delivery. Actually 16 cameras to be exact, as I have installed extra set of cameras dedicated for capturing the insane mode and autopilot V7 (link listed below). The installation is very time consuming and tons of panels to be taking out (as all wires will be hidden going thru the factory seal/path), will need to drill 2 exact holes underneath both side mirror and calibrate the cameras so that they match exactly on both sides (shown below as Autopilot Auto Park Setup) . The installation done by Jerry in HK involves to 2 technicians (one taking panels off and feeding/hiding the wires, while the other drilling holes and setting up all cameras) to complete the installation in 1 full day. It will take 1.5 – 2 full days with just 1 technician.

My P85D in the states

6.jpg

1.png

Picture above is the Insane mode setup charging at Tesla Factory Fremont Supercharger. Just finished with the Tesla Factory Tour (highly recommended).

INSANE Mode Setup

V1 – Interior
V2 – Front wide
V3 – Front focus
V4 – Front view of front passenger for insane mode
V5 – Dashboard
V6 – Rear
V7 – Side view of front passenger for insane mode
V8 – View of brake / accelerator

2.png

Default/General Setup

V1 – Front focus
V2 – Front wide
V3 – Rear
V4 – Front view of front left wheel
V5 – Front view of front right wheel
V6 – Interior
V7 – Rear view of rear left wheel
V8 – Rear view of rear right wheel

4.png

Autopilot Auto Park Setup

V1 – Front wide
V2 – Dashboard
V3 – Steering wheel and 17 inch display
V4 – Front view of left front wheel
V5 – Front view of right front wheel
V6 – View of brake / accelerator

Captured Videos

https://youtu.be/f0qBp_CDPec P85D Testing Autopilot @ Night
https://youtu.be/hqBmhXkRw_w P85D Testing Autopilot - Auto Parking
https://youtu.be/VKy-NzgfekE P85D Autopilot - Auto Lane Change
https://youtu.be/MHOQ1lO8WPA P85D Door got hit @ supercharger
https://youtu.be/7vG56hTJUhs Bike Accident @ SF
https://youtu.be/dTTP5SKc1Fk Eight Camera Setup Testing Tesla Autopilot
https://youtu.be/iB_9jXJWYjQ Just got autopilot installed, how does it work? (Long Version 5 mins)
https://youtu.be/Oiqo1A-nVSU What happens when you activate auto lane change right next to a semi?
https://youtu.be/kTFDaBJM5F0 Tailor-made 8 camera setup for Testing Autopilot at night (long version 5 min)

Vampsthevampyre (Ian), I’ve a business trip to UK in January perhaps we can install it together?

Last edited:
Installed the 7 cam package yesterday. The whole process will involve one full day because a number of panels have to be taken down for proper wiring. Workmanship is good and I can now see clearly the four corners of my 70D. The entirely system has many functions as mentioned in previous messages in this post. I originally felt that it would be quite a heavy handed investment. Upon comparison with other dash cam installation (e.g. front and back cam at $4,500), this one is double the cost but provides far more functions especially for me - a driver not used to big cars. Before installation, I cannot estimate the exact position of the front left wheel from the driver seat.

jsiu, glad it worked for you!

More videos....enjoy!

Autopilot @ Hoover Dam Camera Setup

V1 – Front Focus View
V2 – Front Wide View
V3 – Rear view
V6 – Dashboard view

Autopilot @ Vegas (night time) Camera Setup

V1 – Front Focus View
V2 – Front Wide View
V3 – Rear view
V6 – Dashboard view

Tesla P85D Insane Mode with version 7 and Max Battery Power Ready Camera Setup

V1 – Front Passenger View
V2 – Front Wide View
V3 – Rear View
V4 – Front Passenger Side View
V5 – Dashboard
V6 – View of Steering Wheel and 17 inch Display
V7 – Interior View

Valet Parking - No Joy Ride Camera Setup

V1 – Front Focus View
V2 – Front Wide View
V3 – Rear view
V6 – View of Interior

Tesla Autopilot V7.0 - Auto Parking in 30 seconds at Vancouver BC Camera Setup

V1 – Front Wide View
V2 – Rear view
V3 – View of brake / accelerator

Last edited by a moderator:

FuriuosS8 caught by pedestrian - Funny Dance @ 1:18 Camera Setup

V1 – Dashboard
V2 – Front Wide
V3 – Rear
V6 – View of Interior
V8 – Rear view of rear right whee

Tesla Autopilot V7.0 - Auto Parking Failed @ :25 Camera Setup

V1 – Front Wide View
V2 – Rear view
V3 – View of brake / accelerator

Door got hit @ supercharger Camera Setup

V1 – Front Focus View
V2 – Front Wide View
V3 – Rear view
V6 – View of Interior

Bike Accident @ SF - Camera Setup

V1 – Interior View
V2 – Front Wide View
V3 – Rear View
V4 – Front Passenger View
V5 – Dashboard
V7 – Front Passenger Side View

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mkq786

Furious S8 - Model X P100D - Camera Setup

V1 – Front Wide View
V2 – Front Focus View
V3 – Rear
V4 – Front side view of left front wheel
V5 – Front side view of right front wheel
V6 – Dashboard
V7 – Rear side view of rear left wheel
V8 – Rear side view of rear right wheel

Furious S8 - Model X P100D - Camera Setup

V1 – Front Wide View
V2 – Front Focus View
V3 – Rear
V4 – Front side view of left front wheel
V5 – Front side view of right front wheel
V6 – Dashboard
V7 – Rear side view of rear left wheel
V8 – Rear side view of rear right wheel

Nice job but frankly i wonder why one would require all these cameras. I am just going for two (front and rear), for the first time, but i still ask myself if its really necessary?

Nice job but frankly i wonder why one would require all these cameras. I am just going for two (front and rear), for the first time, but i still ask myself if its really necessary?

I think that if I was considering renting my car using sites such as 'getaround' or 'turo',
would like to be able to record as much as I could, allowing me to know the origin of any damage or vandalism.

I currently use a front-rear Blackvue dashcam which already provide useful information.
However, I would also consider recording left and right views in the future, as cost would certainly decrease quickly.

There is also a version of the Blackview combining the front and rear cameras into a single unit,
providing front recording and inside recording, which can be very useful for taxi drivers....
Uber’s CEO caught being a jerk on camera by one of his own drivers

• Informative
Hi mkq786,

Front and Rear Cam is not enough, check out the video below and you will see why.

I'm not seeing it. Why is the front camera evidence not sufficient in this case? On just that one camera, the lorry can be seen cutting across the front of the stationary car, and then the car shakes from the impact. You can even see the car being pushed over to the left. If I was the driver, I would then get out and take some external pictures with a cellphone. Very clear.

I do agree that a single front camera may not be sufficient in 100% of cases, but in the vast majority it is a lot more helpful than no camera at all. An additional rear camera is also very useful, but the presumption of guilt is a lot clearer when you are hit from the rear. 2, 4, 8 or 16 cameras and drone following behind for arial coverage would be wonderful but expensive to install.

I do agree that a single front camera may not be sufficient in 100% of cases,
but in the vast majority it is a lot more helpful than no camera at all.
Instead of putting the side cameras at about the middle of a car using the two rear view mirrors,
I think that it would more useful to add a camera at each corner of a car.

This would allow seeing clearly from your seat
weather it is safe to enter into a street,
such as exiting from a garage or a driveway and entering (or backing up) perpendicularly into a street,
or turning left or right from a T street into a major artery.