Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The 12 Volt Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I am also looking at replacing the Tesla 12v 8 ah battery with a Lithium alternative...I have been told that a minor alteration would have to be done to the bracket that holds the battery as the Lithium battery has a slightly smaller footprint...although this "Smart" brand Lithium battery costs about twice as much as the Lead one, it should last far longer (they advertise 10x more cycle charges than Lead batteries), and weighs significantly less (under 2 lbs.)

I've heard you can't use those unless you live in a more temperate climate than you and I. You can't charge a Lithium battery if it's below 0C. In theory the "smart" brain will prevent that. The result is you could easily go for weeks without your 12v ever getting charged.

In theory, you are certainly right...Smart Battery says in its support information that the low point of the battery's operational temperature is 4 degrees F (-16 C).

Practically speaking though, virtually all of my charging is done in my garage (insulated), and in the winter, I really don't take any trips that require me to be away from home overnight (like I do in the other seasons).

Still, it is something that I will have to keep an eye on.

If it becomes problematic, I can always swap the lithium battery with the original Tesla 12v battery when I do the winter / summer tire swap.

Last edited:
In theory, you are certainly right...Smart Battery says in its support information that the low point of the battery's operational temperature is 4 degrees F (-16 C).

Practically speaking though, virtually all of my charging is done in my garage (insulated), and in the winter, I really don't take any trips that require me to be away from home overnight (like I do in the other seasons).

Still, it is something that I will have to keep an eye on.

If it becomes problematic, I can always swap the lithium battery with the original Tesla 12v battery when I do the winter / summer tire swap.

Are you assuming it is only charged when the traction battery is charged? I don't think that's the case. I think it's also charged if needed while the car is on.

No, I realise that...but, I think the 12v battery will be fully charged after the ESS has charged overnight...as
I only travel 1.5 kms to work, I think that the need for the 12v to acquire a significant charge whilst I am traveling is very small...at the end of the day, I am back in the garage.

Still, if all doesn't go well in the cold weather, I can always swap the original battery back in...regardless, I should be able to reap the benefits of the lithium battery's lighter weight and longevity for a minimum of 75% of the year.

I'll keep you posted how it goes.

So after picking up #330 on Friday, I've done almost 400 miles over the weekend, but starting this morning I started to see this error too. Luckily I have to go to a meeting very close to the London Service Centre tomorrow but I was hoping not to see any errors for a couple of months as I've just bled myself dry to get the car and I don't need any more expense...

20140602_201214.jpg

So at 44 months and 38k miles I'm getting the 12V battery message and it's taking a long time before the doors will open. Key fob still unlocks the doors but the door button won't respond until I'm just about to bend down to manually open the door and then it works.

Was there ever a consensus on whether these were being replaced during service? I don't recall seeing that on any of my work orders so maybe I'm still on my original?

I'm tempted to slap one of these babies in:
LFX21A6-BS12 - Shorai Lithium Batteries

But I can get an AGM for ~$85 and don't have to worry about balancing it periodically. Hmm. Yeah, weight savings doesn't matter as much on a car. Looks like I'll be headed to the Interstate store on Saturday.

I got my 12V battery replaced (a couple of times) during the warranty period. After that, I had to pay to get it replaced - not part of the annual service.

So at 44 months and 38k miles I'm getting the 12V battery message and it's taking a long time before the doors will open. Key fob still unlocks the doors but the door button won't respond until I'm just about to bend down to manually open the door and then it works.

Was there ever a consensus on whether these were being replaced during service? I don't recall seeing that on any of my work orders so maybe I'm still on my original?

But I can get an AGM for ~$85 and don't have to worry about balancing it periodically. Hmm. Yeah, weight savings doesn't matter as much on a car. Looks like I'll be headed to the Interstate store on Saturday.

That looks to be (from the link) a 21 ah Lithium battery...I was warned by our Canadian service manager not to replace the 12v battery with any battery exceeding 8ah...

I think the service manager was just being conservative to match up to the same type of battery (i.e. closest match to stock) for legal reasons. I don't see any reason why not to put higher AH battery in would affect other systems, doubt the VDS is keeping track of watt hours going into/out of the 12v battery. Note on that 12v lithium battery I make sure that it has it's own BMS, other wise can be an safety issue. Also on that LFX21A6-BS12 it needs 13.1 volts at idle to charge, I don't think the roadster 12v system outputs that.

Hi guys,
Sorry if it has been mentioned but scanning through this thread I cannot see the specific make/model of the battery for the Roadster.
Can anyone let me know exactly which 12v battery should be used?
My car is on loan to a friend and has the warning so I want to order one so I can replace when I get the car back...
Many thanks

This model seems to more closely match the 12V battery that is in the Roadster:
LFX14A4-BS12 - Shorai Lithium Batteries

However, I'm not sure if the charging system for the 12V battery would properly charge the lithium Shorai battery based on their FAQ page

Last edited:
This model seems to more closely match the 12V battery that is in the Roadster:
LFX14A4-BS12 - Shorai Lithium Batteries

However, I'm not sure if the charging system for the 12V battery would properly charge the lithium Shorai battery based on their FAQ page
Yes, that's why I mentioned in my post I'd have to balance it from time to time. I have one of their charger/balancers that can charge each cell individually as I use their batteries on my ICE motorcycles. It has a storage mode which is perfect for long term Li-Ion health. Also the weight savings in a motorcycle is dramatic.

As for the size, FAYTX14 is NOT the right battery, at least for my 2.5 built November, 2010 - not sure if they used different batteries at different times. The TX14 is way too tall. The correct size is YTX9. Different manufacturers put different letters on the front to specify if they are AGM, liquid, gel, etc. The key is the YTX9 part. If you go to Interstate you can get FAYTX9 or CYTX9.

12V Aux Battery Service Interval?

Any idea what the replacement cycle for the 12V auxiliary battery in the Roadsters is? I searched and see folks have had them replaced, but I don't see any indication of frequency or if there is a typical cycle/age. I know motorcycle batteries like these are typically only good for a few years, perhaps 5 or 6 at the outside, depending on care and maintenance of the battery.