Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Texas Electrify America fast charging locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my list of Electrify America projects in Texas based on their linked filings under Texas accessibility laws. Format is: City (# of charging stations) -- Address
Newly discovered EA projects in TX:
All projects were filed with an estimated start date of 2018-12-01 and ending on 2019-03-01.

[But don't take those estimated dates too seriously. Based on previous performance, I think they track better to an estimate of when the building permits will be applied for instead of when actual construction will begin]

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jeff N
The planned EA location at the Sawdust Walmart in the The Woodlands is in some state of construction/completion. I haven't checked it out but a neighbour I talked to mentioned it when asking me if that's a place I'd charge my car.

P.S. He'd not seen the car before and didn't recognize it as a Tesla even after 5 min of talking to me through the passenger window. It just came up because he mentioned the "new car smell". Welcome to the sticks. :)

The planned EA location at the Sawdust Walmart in the The Woodlands is in some state of construction/completion. I haven't checked it out but a neighbour I talked to mentioned it when asking me if that's a place I'd charge my car.

P.S. He'd not seen the car before and didn't recognize it as a Tesla even after 5 min of talking to me through the passenger window. It just came up because he mentioned the "new car smell". Welcome to the sticks. :)

That is the reason I love my Tesla. It is a EV that looks like a car. Not something out of a cartoon, such as the Mitsubishi i-MiEV - Wikipedia

Passing by Sawdust Walmart & decided to see one of these EA for myself. Turns out this is a chump, er city(?) charger. Three stalls @ 50kW, two CCS only one of them is a CCS/CHAdemo cable pair, and then a J-1772 pedestal next to it.

9976AD02-80B9-4670-9A93-9EDD23F451B1.jpeg

But hey, one I can actually use if I was desperate & didn’t have 5 mi of range to get to the North Houston SC. So I plug in to see what it’ll say, because that’s all it says on the screen “Plug in to continue”, the hardware itself is unmarked.

D66F7C3C-6DD1-4F9C-9798-DADA80E80CF3.jpeg

Ug, doesn’t give a max kW rate. I had somewhere else to be so decided to not throw away the $1, but even if they could keep up w/my car at 11.5kW that’s 25ckWh for a 1 hr charge.

More likely it’s only 6.6kW, 32A @ 208V (because 3-phase). That’d put it at about the same as Blink pricing around here, which is 40c/kWh effective.

Ug, doesn’t give a max kW rate. I had somewhere else to be so decided to not throw away the $1, but even if they could keep up w/my car at 11.5kW that’s 25ckWh for a 1 hr charge.

More likely it’s only 6.6kW, 32A @ 208V (because 3-phase). That’d put it at about the same as Blink pricing around here, which is 40c/kWh effective.
That's the pricing on the J1772 pedestal? Or the DC fast charge pedestal?

That's the pricing on the J1772 pedestal? Or the DC fast charge pedestal?
The J-1772. $1 to connect and 3c/min after that. The per minute is actually about right for scaling electricity cost from 50kW DC down to about 6.6kW AC (after accounting for AC->DC conversion losses).

EA DC charging is no-go for the Model 3 at this time. I didn't check their screens, again I was pressed for time. I assumed this site's DC charging is priced the same as the others?

The J-1772. $1 to connect and 3c/min after that. The per minute is actually about right for scaling electricity cost from 50kW DC down to about 6.6kW AC (after accounting for AC->DC conversion losses).

EA DC charging is no-go for the Model 3 at this time. I didn't check their screens, again I was pressed for time. I assumed this site's DC charging is priced the same as the others?

The J1772 @ 6.6kW would be $0.79 @ $0.12 kWh, the number I see tossed around as average pricing in the US.

Their price would be $1.00 connect + $1.80 in per minute fees.

Clearly it is fair to cover equipment, maintenance, and profit.

It will be interesting where public charging ends up pricing out.

If you charged for an hour (say you shopped at Walmart and when went for lunch at the other end of the parking lot) that's $2.80/6.6kWh = 42c/kWh. IIRC Blink locally works out to 39c/hr (as long as you create an account, otherwise it's double that rate :confused:), no connect fee. EDIT: Not sure what the taxes would be, if that's just the standard 8.25% sales tax? So I guess more like 46c/kWh

Shorter times though and the per kWh starts really taking off. If you're only there 30 min $1.90/3.3kWh = 58c/kWh (plus sales tax 63c/kWh?)

That connect fee is dealing with CC swipe overhead and all. What I mean about scaling properly from 50kW pricing is that 3c/min * 50kW/(6.6kW*90% AC->DC efficiency) = 25c/min, compared to the 30c/min EA is charging for 50kW.

-- -- --

One good thing is the stalls are placed smart, mid parking lot well away from the doors so unlikely to get ICEd outside of Christmas shopping. Also closer distance to the handful of restaurants in the strip malls at the other end of the parking lot ("sports bar", cajun place, pizza, Jimmy Johns).

Unfortunately the "EV parking only" signage is very meager. Probably should have put paint down in the stalls, instead there's a tiny sign next to the one stall and nothing on the rest. You can't even see the sign in my pic, it's just off to the right of the shot located at the edge of that landscaping island in the background. That's it for all the stalls.

Last edited:
Here is a screenshot of the bill summary for the EA J1772 charger at the Houston Walmart. (Credit AlaskAApollo)

It is odd that they charge sales tax in Texas that is definitely not the norm for electricity. (I double checked my blink statement as well, no sales tax).
View attachment 360268

You aren't being charged for electricity. You're being charged for a charging service.
Note that you pay for a session and time.

Also: 0.13/1.62 ~= 0.08. Seems like a local sales tax on top.
Also: I'd be much less concerned about the tax and much more concerned about the price.
$1.62 for 2 kWh. Ouch.

Last edited:
Correct about the sales tax, and the reason for it in TX is only utilities can sell electricity directly. If you check your Tesla SC bill, you'll see they break it out there, too. It's just that Tesla lists the bottom line price including sales tax up front.
Also: I'd be much less concerned about the tax and much more concerned about the price.
$1.62 for 2 kWh. Ouch.
What? That's only 20 cents/mile. :confused:

From that screen shot, they were delivering only 6kW. @Tress , that wasn't limited by a near full battery or charging a non-Tesla that was limiting it to 6kW?

Last edited:
Correct about the sales tax, and the reason for it in TX is only utilities can sell electricity directly. If you check your Tesla SC bill, you'll see they break it out there, too. It's just that Tesla lists the bottom line price including sales tax up front.

What? That's only 20 cents/mile. :confused:

From that screen shot, they were delivering only 6kW. @Tress , that wasn't limited by a near full battery or charging a non-Tesla that was limiting it to 6kW?
It was an AC charging session. Poster wrote J1772.

It was an AC charging session. Poster wrote J1772.
J-1772 is capable of more than that. My home J-1772 runs at 7kW+, although I keep it capped at 6.8kW on my Model 3 because the Model 3 seems to draw more constant than other BEVs so I'm giving a bit of cushion there.

They're likely running on 3-phase so I'd expect a lot closer to 6.6kW (because only 208V) on a 40A breaker. But maybe there's an issue due to run length or something that it's delivering only 29A worth?

So that would be ~ $25 to fill a 100kW battery. I'd pay that on the road if they were everywhere and they could do 48A @ 240v.

But, I wouldn't do it frequently because I always charge at home where that would be ~$10.

But that charge rate is pretty low. Typical of a charge point. 208v @ 32a. They went through all that effort to get power there for the Level 3 charging, wish they would have done better on the L2 charging.

Just checked the Amarillo site. It appears complete, but is offline.

The news for me is that Chademo is not 50kw, but 100kw. If my Tesla adapter supports 100kw, that would mean charging here would be on par with a Tesla charger.

Of course it costs more, but again if this was in a location not served by Tesla, or the Tesla SC was offline , this would be Plan B.

The news for me is that Chademo is not 50kw, but 100kw. If my Tesla adapter supports 100kw, that would mean charging here would be on par with a Tesla charger.
Are you talking about the Electrify America site in Amarillo? I know the plan has been to upgrade the CHAdeMO support to 100 kW after more initial testing but this is the first time I’ve heard about the dispenser for CHAdeMO being labeled as 100 kW.

All of the “50 kW” CHAdeMO cables on dispensers that are dual-cables for 150 kW CCS are actually already set up for 100 kW CHAdeMO but we’re being initially de-rated in software.

The Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is labeled for 125A max (50 kW) but who knows what it will actually do when plugged into a 100 kW connector. Maybe someone has already tried this in Europe?