Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Test drive insurance waiver - am I missing something?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last time I got a rental car from the Toyota dealer (because I didn't want to wait in the waiting room). I had to provide my driver's license and insurance certificate at the time of rental. The contract I signed was similar to Tesla's so I really don't see the problem here. If you rent or drive someone else's car you're responsible for any damage that happens (whether you sign something or not). Signing the papers is mostly to remind you that it's not your car.

That said, I can't fault sp4rk for taking a more critical eye to it. However, I think sp4rk, your insurance probably would have covered your liability; most policies do.

Actually I looked at the thing askance when they handed it to me, and I read through it (first lesson learned in business - read contracts before signing). I came to the conclusion that this was no big deal because my insurance company would cover it.

I know this is an old thread but wouldn't a possible solution have been to do a test "ride" instead of a test "drive"? Couldn't you just have a Tesla employee drive the car for you? It should still give you a pretty good idea of what the car is like without exposing you to any liability.

Ironically, a year ago my girlfriend and I spotted a Porsche Panamera in Europe for the first time.
On returning to the US, I did indeed test drive one and was asked for my D/L and insurance card but no "waiver".
Previous to that I had test driven several cars in the $85k to $120k range and never ran into it.
I am with American Family Insurance.
I have rented tons of cars in Europe and USA. In those instances, my Visa card has picked up some and I have paid for other insurance to the rental car facility.
So this, the way I understand it, is quite different from a rental car.
(Am curious how Tesla handles this in the UK. Do they require a waiver? And if my insurance for my car there would cover a test drive there? Irrelevant but curious.)
I've also given my agent this URL for him to "digest" and follow up! :)
I want a bloody Model S! :)

Just admit it. You don't have any valid auto insurance and your disappointed TESLA doesn't give you an option to pay for insurance for the test drive like a rental.

Yes! That is exactly what dealer insurance is for!

I was not a stranger. They had my drivers licence and had they asked I would be perfectly happy with them checking with my insurance agent to see my driving record.
I have test driven cars of this value before and NEVER been asked to sign a waiver. Never. Nor has my insurance agent ever heard of it before.

It is not paranoia to not want to subject oneself to unnecessary risk ... I have been an insurance broker and underwriter and understand risk.
To protect one from just this sort of thing. And your insulting comment about the weather. Keep it to yourself.

When I test drove my model S in Skokie Illinois I signed on their electronic iPad a waiver that basically released Tesla from liability or harm to myself or passengers. It also was stated that it released me from any damage to the vehicle. Did you guys read what they were trying to sign? It seems completely different than what we were presented with a few weeks ago.

Your personal insurance covers you driving other vehicles up to the limits you have elected with your insurance company. But when you do drive and expensive car that you actually don't own it doesn't seem unreasonable to assume some responsibility.

Good luck with the order process if you do start it.

The original post is from almost three years ago. According to his post history, he actually wound up buying one half a year later and then getting banned from the forum a year after that.

It's possible that the waivers we saw in 2015 are different from the ones in 2012. I signed mine last month even after reading it.