Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaXCanada - One Wild Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dave, that would be 173km, not miles. So about 107 miles. But part of the 90kWh battery is reserved, plus there are efficiency losses in the drivetrain, so in reality I would think it would be less than 107.

Note that the first set of numbers you posted are apparently a typical average, while the second set of numbers are "in heavy rain and with headwind".

The issue of real world range when towing with a Tesla is a critical one. My wife and I are seriously looking at buying one of these Safari Condo to use with our future Model 3, but I am concerned that the towing range will be so limited that it won't be practical.

Thanks for the clarification.

At 55 miles/hr, it appears they're getting 110 miles range. Isn't this less range than @JimVandegriff who's pulling a much heavier trailer?

Dave, what you quoted comes from this page Tesla Model X versus Model S . Perhaps Rolf or Silke can post here and clarify.

I searched the teslaxcanada.com website and found this:

Range Anxiety in a Tesla?! Quote: "... towing a camping trailer pretty much cuts our range down by 50%"

@JimVandegriff posted photos of his odometer and energy usage numbers pulling a 23 ft Airstream Bambi at Initial trailer pulling report - 90D and Airstream 22ft Bambi Sport

He shows 551 to 590Wh/m. So at the higher usage rate he went 110 miles on 65.5kWh. He said that is with the trailer loaded at 4,500 lbs! Very heavy. In a later post he says he went 110 miles and used 578Wh/m.

Then in a later post he says, quote: "We travelled 131.4 miles today, used 81.0 Kwh of energy, at 617 wh/m with consistent 53 mph speed and using the air conditioning. "

So it appears to me that he could go 150 miles at 55mph in ideal conditions. On the other hand, in "heavy rain" Jim posted this, quote: "Thetrip from Garryowen Montana to charge at the Sheridan Wyoming supercharger was 68.5 miles. We used 47.6 Kwh at 695 Wh/m. The four stall supercharger had one end open to parking spaces so we could pull the trailer in front of three chargers and leave one open for any other Tesla drivers. The next leg from Sheridan to Buffalo, Wyoming was 36.1 miles at 743 Wh/m. Thus totals for the day were 104.6 miles primarily at 50 mph and averaging 711 Wh/m. This is far more than the 575 Wh/m on more level and dryer ground."

Here is what @jackbowers posted in his thread about towing the much larger Bowlus Road Chief, quote: "Driving 55 mph on a flat course at 70 degrees F you can expect around 475 Wh/mile if there is no headwind, so with a fully charged 100 kWh pack it would be possible to go 150 miles under the right conditions."

The Bowlus appears to be much more aerodynamic than the Airstream Bambi, which does not surprise me.

Reactions: DaveT
@fortytwo posted on their website at FAQ

Range at speed (conditions not specified):

250km (155mi) at 70km (45mi/h)
210km (130mi) at 80km (50mi/h)
180km (110mi) at 90km (55mi/h)

Rolfe and Silke, can you provide any additional information about the ranges you have achieved pulling your Alto trailer under various conditions? 110 miles of range at 55mi/h is concerning. I realize that you drove all the way across Canada and are now headed down the east coast of the US, and you are having a great time on your trip, but as @DaveT points out above, that appears to be about the same range that another Model X owner @JimVandegriff gets while towing a much larger and heavier Airstream.

NOTE: Jim has an X 90D while Rolf and Silke have an X P90DL (is that right?) which is less efficient. Not sure if either of them have the 22" wheels which will also negatively effect efficiency.

Below is shown data I have pulled from various posts that Rolfe and Silke have made on TMC about their energy usage while towing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some rough numbers here. A lot of mounains in BC.
km/h (mph) Wh/km
100 (62) 400+
‪90 (56) 400‬
‪80 (50) 380‬
‪70 (43) 350‬
‪60 (37) 300‬

Maximum range at 60km/h about 280km.

With a slight tail wind on flat roads, dry conditions:
70 km/h 280 Wh/km

Conditions: Headwind 20 km/h, gusting higher, heavy rain
All test were done over 10km only. I ran Motion GPX to ensure we did not have significant elecvation changes. The rain varied from heavy to extreme.
km/h (mph) Wh/km
90 (56) 500
80 (50) 450
70 (43) 410
60 (37) 370
----------------------------------------------------------------------------