Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslacam recorded car that hit me...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.. but sadly I didn't have Sentry mode on. My brand new P3D+ was parked in Upper Montclair (NJ) parking lot, there was a witness who saw the beige/gold 97-99 Lexus ES300 with NY plates in the pics below back out and hit my car after 3:15pm on Saturday 3/23, but they didn't get the plate. I reviewed the footage frame by frame and this is the best I could get from driving past the car before I parked. I think if Sentry mode was active it would have recorded the car closer after it destroyed my passenger door and caused $4,000 worth of damage and drove off. Elon, please make having Sentry mode on automatically an option soon!

Image10.png

Image8.png

Image1.png

Image2.png

Image3.png

Last edited:
I see a 44 in that plate number, how many Lexuses can be in your area with 44s in their plate number? Private Investigator time! Keep us updated, and take them to court for their whole life!

Judging by the photo though, they likely haven't got much to sue for. Look at the shape that car is in. Old and worn out. The kind of person who buys a car like that is a person who hasn't got 2 nickels to rub together, but they get all excited thinking "I'm driving a LEXUS!!!". I could get more descriptive of the demographic, but the mods would edit it. By the photo, the driver doesn't even understand the importance of having all the lug nuts holding the left rear wheel on!

Last edited:
Yikes, sorry that happened to you. I've been trying to get in a good habit of setting Sentry Mode when I exit. Until some software changes hope to make it like putting on a seatbelt when I get in.

For 4K in damage I would be trying to get enough evidence to go to the police. First off did you file a police report and do you have the witness' name and contact info to pass on. Does the sushi bar or place he/she was parked in front of have cameras, and what about the building next door on their wall? Hard to tell from a photo who might have surveillance cameras but these days a lot of businesses do. Good luck. Would be nice to find them and establish fault.

I don't quite understand. The cameras record with or without sentry mode right? I thought sentry mode would just ward off people getting too close. The camera recording is set via the camera icon in the car screen right with USB plugged in?
For front facing camera only. Sides start to record when sentry is activated. At least that’s my interpretation