Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla would not accept charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has scheduled me for service Sept. 7. The estimate shows the following broken item which will be replaced:

ASSEMBLY - FAST CHARGE CONTACTOR- HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY(1621365-00-B)

$70 for part. 2 hours labor at book rate for $380. I am at 62,000 miles on 2021 Model Y that I received Nov. 2020. Tesla says this battery issue is not covered under my Battery Limited Warranty which runs until 120k miles or Nov. 2028.

I am irate and have gone car shopping. Car is mediocre, and company is insultingly bad. Never again.

Anyone want to help me advocate for coverage under my warranty? Tesla makes it hard to see terms of warranty. Endless annoyance. Toyota sales folks were shocked by the stories I told them of how I've been treated after buying a $56,000 car...

--JS

I had the fast charging contactor fail on my car, as well. It was at around 140,000 miles if I recall correctly. I had the pleasure of driving home from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Washington, DC on level 2 charging - an adventure for sure, but really not that difficult.

This is not covered under warranty as it is an ancillary charging component and not directly part of the battery pack. Trying to argue with them will only frustrate you.

My advice is to pay for the service and get back to enjoying your car.

Seems like a pretty extreme reaction to a $700 repair bill. These things happen to all cars.

On the bright side, someone will be very happy to buy your low mileage Model Y!
$500 bill. Reaction is not to $500 repair. Reaction is to being treated like crap by Tesla. Nearest service center is 3 hours away. I have to take a day off from work to get the car there. 2 hour repair per estimate. But they won't commit to repairing car while I wait same day. Nor will they give me a loaner vehicle if they cannot get the work done. I'm supposed to drive 3 hours and hope that it all goes well.

Every interaction with Tesla has been awful. Everything they do, every posture they take, says, "we got your $56k, we don't have to keep you a happy customer any further." I'm going car shopping today. Worst automotive experience in my life. Car is ok, nothing special, tech is mediocre, and range is terrible (180 miles in winter). Every other car company I've dealt with has been eager to make me a satisfied customer so they get my future business. Not Tesla.

I'd go on, but I am not sure I'll find a sympathetic ear. I read these discussion forums for 3 years before purchasing my Model Y. If there was a balanced discussion of good and bad, maybe I'd have waited for Tesla to mature as a company or the competition to surpass them with quality and service.
--JS

$500 bill. Reaction is not to $500 repair. Reaction is to being treated like crap by Tesla. Nearest service center is 3 hours away. I have to take a day off from work to get the car there. 2 hour repair per estimate. But they won't commit to repairing car while I wait same day. Nor will they give me a loaner vehicle if they cannot get the work done. I'm supposed to drive 3 hours and hope that it all goes well.

Every interaction with Tesla has been awful. Everything they do, every posture they take, says, "we got your $56k, we don't have to keep you a happy customer any further." I'm going car shopping today. Worst automotive experience in my life. Car is ok, nothing special, tech is mediocre, and range is terrible (180 miles in winter). Every other car company I've dealt with has been eager to make me a satisfied customer so they get my future business. Not Tesla.

I'd go on, but I am not sure I'll find a sympathetic ear. I read these discussion forums for 3 years before purchasing my Model Y. If there was a balanced discussion of good and bad, maybe I'd have waited for Tesla to mature as a company or the competition to surpass them with quality and service.
--JS
You might want to also ask the Toyota dealer if they will drive 3 hrs to pick your car up so you don't have to drive to the dealer....
Seriously though, you did buy the car when you knew the nearest service center was three hours away. There are soooo many discussions of the Car both good and bad on these forums if you're not finding those, you're just not looking. The rest is just your feelings and that's not a discussion point. Good luck with the car purchase, hope you find something that better suits your needs.

--JS
That other stuff wasn't in your GBCW post. I do have sympathy for you, bummer that your car broke down.

Not sure what Tesla is supposed to do. You bought a car knowing you were 3 hours away from the service center, and how can they possibly PROMISE to repair it in one day sight unseen? Sounds like they think they can, but need to hedge in case it turns out worse than expected.

As far as a loaner, I could see them doing it for a warranty repair, but for a regular repair service? A $500 bill doesn't begin to cover that kind of extra service. If you were a reasonable distance from the SC, the usual Uber credits would work, but you're not. You either need to ship the car to them, have a buddy there to drive you home, or possibly rent a car to use while they have it. I don't see another solution.

The main problem seems to be the distance to the SC. It may be that a Tesla is not the right car for you, given that fact.

And yet you bought a Tesla instead of one of their products.
Yes, big mistake. But didn't know when I purchased. I'm sure many others have great experiences, mostly living near service centers in big cities with lots of chargers. I read of seemingly happy Tesla customers in rural areas on these discussion forums. But I have few chargers and no service center.

I'll undo the mistake shortly. I'm already car shopping to replace my Model Y as soon as I get it repaired.
-- JS

That other stuff wasn't in your GBCW post. I do have sympathy for you, bummer that your car broke down.

Not sure what Tesla is supposed to do. You bought a car knowing you were 3 hours away from the service center, and how can they possibly PROMISE to repair it in one day sight unseen? Sounds like they think they can, but need to hedge in case it turns out worse than expected.

As far as a loaner, I could see them doing it for a warranty repair, but for a regular repair service? A $500 bill doesn't begin to cover that kind of extra service. If you were a reasonable distance from the SC, the usual Uber credits would work, but you're not. You either need to ship the car to them, have a buddy there to drive you home, or possibly rent a car to use while they have it. I don't see another solution.

The main problem seems to be the distance to the SC. It may be that a Tesla is not the right car for you, given that fact.
Yes, quite reasonable. Didn't think this would fall outside of warranty coverage as it was a battery problem, but it's a battery charging problem which is just different enough. I thought of shipping the car. I have AAA. Could have flatbed shipped it to the SC nearly for free. But, I learned that AAA would not participate in shipping it back, as coverage for shipping/towing only applies to broken cars, not repaired ones. Makes sense.

I've been very satisfied with Tesla Service over the years, particularly recently. I think selling a Model Y for anything else would be a mistake, but you do you.

If I were in your shoes, I'd charge to full at home and drive the car to the service center for a morning appointment. As long as they have the parts on-hand, they'll almost certainly get you turned around and back on the road that same day.

My DC fast charging contactor failure took a bit more time. Mine was a fairly early failure in the fleet, and they didn't have parts on hand, so I had to wait for them to arrive. Being a relatively early adopter is a bit of an adventure. Find something fun to incorporate into this trip and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: davewill
Yes, quite reasonable. Didn't think this would fall outside of warranty coverage as it was a battery problem, but it's a battery charging problem which is just different enough. I thought of shipping the car. I have AAA. Could have flatbed shipped it to the SC nearly for free. But, I learned that AAA would not participate in shipping it back, as coverage for shipping/towing only applies to broken cars, not repaired ones. Makes sense.
How much to shuttle over to pick it up? Or to shuttle/train/bus to the area, then use Tesla's Uber credits to get to the SC?