Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla would not accept charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I was driving home and was stranded. Chargers are few and far between in Central NY. Heading South in I-81 from Syracuse to home in Bnghamton, I pulled into the relatively new Tully I-81 Tesla Supercharger (250kW), where I've charged before. Arrived with 9%. Battery had pre-conditioned. Charging seemed normal enough, zoomed my SoC to 19%. Then stopped. I pressed Start Charging, it clicked under the car a few times, and stopped. It did this a few times. I disconnected and reconnected. Said Starting Charging but did not charge, clicked a few times, and quickly changed status to Stopped Charging. Switched stalls at otherwise 11 emtpy Tesla stalls. Same thing. Drove 4 miles down the highway to regional gas station chain with Electrify America CCS for which I have the adapter and have charged many times. Same thing. Tried many stalls, would not accept charge. Drove back to Tesla charger and tried again, same thing. Reached out to Tesla Roadside Service and you can guess how that went (slow, unhelpful, and never connected me to human being despite waiting 20 min on hold when they finally texted a contact number). Had car towed on flatbed by AAA 60 miles home. At around 11% at this point, pulled into my garage and plugged it in to my TEsla mobile connector with NEMA 14-50 outlet where I always charge. Here, it accepted charge.

What the heck is going on?
-- JS

Agree, sounds as if something in the charge system broke... but worked at home. I do plan to go to nearby level 3 chargers (Tesla, Electrify America) and see whether it accepts charge or still will not.

Model Y, 2021, accepted delivery NOv. 2020.
--JS

I do plan to go to nearby level 3 chargers (Tesla, Electrify America) and see whether it accepts charge or still will not.
What do you plan to do with this data (whether it charges at nearby Tesla or Electrify America DC fast chargers)? I am not trying to be argumentative (and I troubleshoot computer systems for a living in my day job), but unless you plan on attempting to fix this yourself, the next step to me seems to be to pursue a repair from tesla (a service appointment).

I've got less than 7K on the MY and have never charged outside of the wall connecter in my garage, so take my advice with a boulder of salt. LOL
I'm wondering if your charging options, such as scheduled charging, depart by, off peak, etc., may be messing with the charging. I'd do a full reset of the vehicle and maybe clear out the app and start all over. I'm saying this with the assumption that your car is no longer under any warranty that would address and fix this problem (I know the battery warranty is like 120K mi). If that assumption is wrong, then by all means have Tesla sort it out, but none of my steps would cost you anything, other than time.

If it won't DC FAST Charge and I'm assuming here that you have a credit card set-up in your On-line profile and that you have Super charged before. If these are true and it won't Super charge and/or DCFC from EA, then you need to make a service appt.

What do you plan to do with this data (whether it charges at nearby Tesla or Electrify America DC fast chargers)? I am not trying to be argumentative (and I troubleshoot computer systems for a living in my day job), but unless you plan on attempting to fix this yourself, the next step to me seems to be to pursue a repair from tesla (a service appointment).
After not being able to charge at all at Level 3 chargers (Tesla, EA), I was shocked that the car charged in my home garage on the NEMA 14-50 tesla mobile connector. Made me wonder whether sitting unused for an hour on the flatbed truck accomplished one kind of reset (online tutorials said walk away from car for 15 minutes, which I couldn't do at night with my small child in middle of nowhere). So maybe it was working again? That's why I wanted to find out.

At my local Tesla charger and another EA (electrify America) CCS, neither would charge my Tesla Model Y, same as when stranded on the road. So now I'm convinced, and I just made appt at the closest Tesla Service Center, 3 hours away in Rochester NY.

I've got less than 7K on the MY and have never charged outside of the wall connecter in my garage, so take my advice with a boulder of salt. LOL
I'm wondering if your charging options, such as scheduled charging, depart by, off peak, etc., may be messing with the charging. I'd do a full reset of the vehicle and maybe clear out the app and start all over. I'm saying this with the assumption that your car is no longer under any warranty that would address and fix this problem (I know the battery warranty is like 120K mi). If that assumption is wrong, then by all means have Tesla sort it out, but none of my steps would cost you anything, other than time.
I would love to fix this myself. But what to you mean by "full reset of vehicle"? I did a lot of urgent online troubleshooting that late night and read of several types of resets. The most severe having something to do with disconnecting the battery after removing a panel in the frunk.

If it won't DC FAST Charge and I'm assuming here that you have a credit card set-up in your On-line profile and that you have Super charged before. If these are true and it won't Super charge and/or DCFC from EA, then you need to make a service appt.
Yeah, I considered that it could be a Tesla account issue, which I read about as I tried to troubleshoot. That's why when I could not charge at the Tesla supercharger in Tully NY, I drove to a (fortunately) nearby EA charger where my Tesla account wouldn't matter. Wish it had worked and was that easy.
--JS

Yeah, I considered that it could be a Tesla account issue, which I read about as I tried to troubleshoot. That's why when I could not charge at the Tesla supercharger in Tully NY, I drove to a (fortunately) nearby EA charger where my Tesla account wouldn't matter. Wish it had worked and was that easy.
--JS
Agreed, especially since you tried the EA station, It really feels like a something broke in the vehicle.

After not being able to charge at all at Level 3 chargers (Tesla, EA), I was shocked that the car charged in my home garage on the NEMA 14-50 tesla mobile connector. Made me wonder whether sitting unused for an hour on the flatbed truck accomplished one kind of reset (online tutorials said walk away from car for 15 minutes, which I couldn't do at night with my small child in middle of nowhere). So maybe it was working again? That's why I wanted to find out.
DC Fast Charging and AC charging are almost completely separate. When DC fast charging the charger is outside the vehicle provider by the charging vendor. When AC charging you are using a charger built in to the vehicle.

My guess would be that one of the fast charge contactors failed.

Controls > Service > Factory Reset. This erases all customizations. I would try all the other resets first though.

I'm not worried about customizations like my driver's seat position or setting the car's climate before I usually drive to work. I don't have any significant settings selected in the various menus and submenus.

But I am worried about messing up the link between the car and me/my phone. That was set up when I took delivery at the Mount Kisco, NY, service center. I still have my Tesla card to use on the door pillar to get in, but would I be able to reestablish the connection between my phone and vehicle and any other important set-up?
-- JS

I'm not worried about customizations like my driver's seat position or setting the car's climate before I usually drive to work. I don't have any significant settings selected in the various menus and submenus.

But I am worried about messing up the link between the car and me/my phone. That was set up when I took delivery at the Mount Kisco, NY, service center. I still have my Tesla card to use on the door pillar to get in, but would I be able to reestablish the connection between my phone and vehicle and any other important set-up?
-- JS
That's a pretty simple thing to set up. Here are the instructions. See phone key. Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

I suggest you start with the simplest reset. Press both wheels on the steering wheel at the same time and hold them in until the screen goes black. You should be in the car with the doors and windows closed. After a minute or so a Tesla “ T “ will appear signifying that the reset is occurring. Wait until the screen is back to its default appearance. Then proceed as usual.

Tesla has scheduled me for service Sept. 7. The estimate shows the following broken item which will be replaced:

ASSEMBLY - FAST CHARGE CONTACTOR- HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY(1621365-00-B)

$70 for part. 2 hours labor at book rate for $380. I am at 62,000 miles on 2021 Model Y that I received Nov. 2020. Tesla says this battery issue is not covered under my Battery Limited Warranty which runs until 120k miles or Nov. 2028.

I am irate and have gone car shopping. Car is mediocre, and company is insultingly bad. Never again.

Anyone want to help me advocate for coverage under my warranty? Tesla makes it hard to see terms of warranty. Endless annoyance. Toyota sales folks were shocked by the stories I told them of how I've been treated after buying a $56,000 car...

--JS