Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't perform any alignment/wheel/suspension work on car with aftermarket rims/tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SC didn't care about my Rial Lugano + Blizzaks (winter tire set). I even had them mounted by Midas (never again). I had my factory tires remounted in the summer by Tesla. They explicitely said to bring the car back in November to get the winter set remounted (they placed them in nice plastic bags and cleaned out a rubber stain on my headliner).

FYI, its damn hard to fit 4 wheels/tires in your trunk but I managed with the seats folded down around a car seat....

I had a bad vibration between 28MPH-42MPH. They stated it was due to the worn tires. Yea, I know, total B.S. So I said I'd buy new tires.

UN-FREAKING BELIEVABLE. Wow, that's bad. What service center was this? Sounds like it's staffed by ex-BMW service center trained folks. (I know for a fact that Tesla hires A LOT of premium brand service techs and service management people). I guess it's hard for them to shake old habits. SAD!

Which service center was this? Sounds like it's built on a hellmouth.
UN-FREAKING BELIEVABLE. Wow, that's bad. What service center was this? Sounds like it's staffed by ex-BMW service center trained folks. (I know for a fact that Tesla hires A LOT of premium brand service techs and service management people). I guess it's hard for them to shake old habits. SAD!
LOL, long story indeed... Honestly, it wasn't my intention, but evidently I needed to get that off my chest...

It was the Columbus, Ohio Service Center. To be fair, they've taken really good care of me before on other items. But also to be fair, this isn't the first item that I felt things were handled extremely poorly. That's what bothers me the most; the inconsistency. On one item they go up and beyond, and then on another it's horrific. I do believe at times it depends on which tech is assigned. The tech that came out to identify and correct the creak is who I consider to be their top guy. He knows his stuff and is the first to admit when he doesn't. Also, I think he actually enjoys investigating and solving issues.

My service center just repeated the idea that they will not work on anything relating to the wheel and tire if they are aftermarket.

Then they went further to say that if there was a DU failure they would consider the tire as a possible cause and there is a chance they would void the warranty.

This is ridiculous. Elon needs to correct this stupidity.

You'll just have to sue them to have them prove the wheel/tires caused the issue, just so they can back down and just do what they should have done in the first place. Looks like a pattern with Tesla...

You'll just have to sue them to have them prove the wheel/tires caused the issue, just so they can back down and just do what they should have done in the first place. Looks like a pattern with Tesla...

Guess what? You can't sue. You agreed to binding arbitration.* But from what I've heard, just the threat of going to arbitration is enough to get things escalated and/or resolved.

*Before arbitration, you have to submit your grievance to the Tesla Ombudsman. And then if it's still not resolved, go to arbitration.

Guess what? You can't sue. You agreed to binding arbitration.* But from what I've heard, just the threat of going to arbitration is enough to get things escalated and/or resolved.

*Before arbitration, you have to submit your grievance to the Tesla Ombudsman. And then if it's still not resolved, go to arbitration.

Scratch that... this might only apply to the service plan and/or ESA. I can't find these terms in the regular MVPA from 2014, although it might be there now.

I am having the same issue. I had a creaking noise on a used m3p and I made an appointment for service. They called me to pick up the car stating they couldn’t check it out since I had aftermarket suspensions on the car. Apparently it was lowered which I didn’t know when I bought it. However by google searches I was able to find out about the upper control arm issues Tesla was having with the OEM part with videos showing identical noise. I understand they won’t work on aftermarket parts but this is the OEM part that is having an issue and should be inspected and covered under warranty. If I have aftermarket spring issues and the issue lies in the springs then I would understand. When I picked up the car they told me they wouldn’t look into it unless I switched it back to stock which I found ridiculous. I started another appointment with more links and details, even a bulletin Tesla stated about the faulty control arm. Let’s see how far it gets me. For such a lucrative company the service center is complete garbage.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I started another appointment with more links and details, even a bulletin Tesla stated about the faulty control arm. Let’s see how far it gets me.
Good luck. I'm lowered on bright blue HR springs *and* have bolt on spacers so it's completely obvious I have aftermarket suspension modifications. I brought it into the Sarasota SC for something completely different and they actually added doing the control arm service without me even asking or complaining about noise. If the above doesn't work out the second time, hopefully there is a second SC you can try close enough not to be a huge hassel.