Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't perform any alignment/wheel/suspension work on car with aftermarket rims/tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Service Centers routinely work on aftermarket tires, and as others have noted, often are fine with aftermarket wheels. If you're getting static from the local service center, there is something wrong with your service center. It's worth escalating to his boss -- if that doesn't work, directly to Elon -- and if that doesn't work, to the media -- because the runaround you're getting is ridiculous, stupid, and illegal.

Tesla Service Centers routinely work on aftermarket tires, and as others have noted, often are fine with aftermarket wheels. If you're getting static from the local service center, there is something wrong with your service center. It's worth escalating to his boss -- if that doesn't work, directly to Elon -- and if that doesn't work, to the media -- because the runaround you're getting is ridiculous, stupid, and illegal.

I find it interesting that this question actually exists. I have my local cheapo tire shop put on my tires. They are extra careful with jacking, lifting, removing, replacing because it's a Tesla, and (by the way) a LOT closer and cheaper than the Tesla Service Center. Why would anyone go to Tesla to put on ANY tires? Are tires something only Tesla has? I don't think so. My local tire shop puts on four tires for a hundred bucks, including balancing, lifetime rotating, etc. With the savings on buying the tires from Tire Rack, I end up about $400 ahead. And that's with the Tesla recommended tires. I really ought to check out some of these other brands.

Service Centers are not anything special. Really. And it's certainly not worth an ulcer.

There is literally no acceptable reason for the service center to refuse to work on a car which just has aftermarket *tires*, as long as the tires are within the car's tire specs. Tires are a perfectly standard interchangable thing. When I got my car, I *had* to get aftermarket winter tires, because *Tesla did not sell winter tires*. Tesla now sells an inferior winter tire (the Pirelli) which everyone agrees is not really any good, so it is still pretty much mandatory for safety reasons to get the Hakkas or the Michelin X-Ice 3. Using safe winter tires is not an reasonable excuse for the service center to refuse service.

And most of the service centers are perfectly happy to work on a car with aftermarket tires because why not? If you're getting static, you need to escalate to Tesla HQ.

There are a few possible legitimate reasons for them to not want to work on aftermarket wheels or lugnuts. (They have actually changed the Tesla lugnut design once.) But there are no legitimate reasons with regard to *tires*.

Very odd, Lintrix.

I dropped my MS off at the Highland Park service center for annual service, and they performed an alignment on my car and I have Rial Lugano wheels and Xi3s. I just had to sign a waiver. (Had to catch a flight when dropping off so I didn't actually read the waiver.... But...).

I've always felt that the issue is whether the aftermarket products could be proven to have damaged that which needs maintenance or repair.

I have a slightly different question. (I'm new and awaiting delivery so forgive me if I ask something stupid).

Lots of talk here about mounting/servicing non-oem (and non-oem-spec) wheels and tires..

But will my SC mount 'new' OEM wheels/tires purchased from a 3rd party?

I ordered my 90d with base 19" slipstreams with the intent of purchasing T Sportlines (19" or 20"). While I was looking I found a set of brand new OEM turbines with new OEM ContiSport Contact 5s. Traded into a wheel shop with almost zero miles on them. (Non-staggered, which is what I wanted).

I would LOVE to have them mounted for initial delivery (if only for the 'new baby with a bow on it' photos.). That way the tpms would be done and display graphics would be updated as well.. I assume.

Any thoughts on whether my SC/DS would accommodate that request? Completely OEM and new, just not purchased through them. I'd be happy to pay them for the service.

Hopefully they will. I will make the request as I get closer to delivery, but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

Reactions: dhanson865
This is a fairly disturbing thread that points to a serious weakness in Tesla Service Center operations consistency. Asking for a waiver in case of damages to pricey and/or delicate aftermarket wheels is barely acceptable; refusing service due to such equipment is completely unacceptable.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I just called my local Tesla service center (Burlingame, CA) for a wheel alignment, and they told me they will do work on aftermarket tires.

I took my Tesla (blue S90D) to a tire shop this morning to have snow tires put on; Tesla supposedly advised them *not* to do tire alignments on Teslas so I don't see how Tesla can refuse to do the work. Hopefully they've changed their policy since?

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I just called my local Tesla service center (Burlingame, CA) for a wheel alignment, and they told me they will do work on aftermarket tires.

I took my Tesla (blue S90D) to a tire shop this morning to have snow tires put on; Tesla supposedly advised them *not* to do tire alignments on Teslas so I don't see how Tesla can refuse to do the work. Hopefully they've changed their policy since?

This policy is not going to fly ... cant wait to visit my local SC in Sunnyvale, CA :cool:

I would LOVE to have them mounted for initial delivery (if only for the 'new baby with a bow on it' photos.). That way the tpms would be done and display graphics would be updated as well.. I assume.

Any thoughts on whether my SC/DS would accommodate that request? Completely OEM and new, just not purchased through them. I'd be happy to pay them for the service.

Hopefully they will. I will make the request as I get closer to delivery, but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

I'm guessing you had to take initial delivery and then have them swap after that. Maybe even same day on the spot but still after.

It's been several months since your post. How did it turn out?

My service center just repeated the idea that they will not work on anything relating to the wheel and tire if they are aftermarket.

Then they went further to say that if there was a DU failure they would consider the tire as a possible cause and there is a chance they would void the warranty.

This is ridiculous. Elon needs to correct this stupidity.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
My service center just repeated the idea that they will not work on anything relating to the wheel and tire if they are aftermarket.

Then they went further to say that if there was a DU failure they would consider the tire as a possible cause and there is a chance they would void the warranty.

This is ridiculous. Elon needs to correct this stupidity.
Isn't there a law against this? Was it the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act or something else? I vaguely remember that they specifically need to PROVE that the new wheel/tire caused the DU failure to void the warranty. I could void the warranty and put on an aftermarket dashcam. But if the dashcam didn't break the HV battery, they can't deny a warranty repair and say "haha, it's the dashcam! but I have no proof"

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
My service center recently also refused to do work based on my having aftermarket wheels.
Also, Roadside Assistance not only thumbed their nose at me for having aftermarket wheels, but also told me that even if I had factory wheels and tires, yet bought the factory tires from somewhere other than Tesla, they would not be able to assist me.

Even more recently (with my factory wheels back on again), the service center tried pushing me away from warranty work because I had bought (Tesla Original) tires from Tire Rack, even though I had paid the service center to install them!

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and croman
Even more recently (with my factory wheels back on again), the service center tried pushing me away from warranty work because I had bought (Tesla Original) tires from Tire Rack, even though I had paid the service center to install them!

Any warranty work, or warranty work related to the wheels, tires, brakes, or hub? Because either way, that's bull*crap*.

That's odd, my SvC specifically told me I can buy them from TireRack and they'd install them (when I asked if they'd price match). They never indicated "we'd install BUT..."

Any warranty work, or warranty work related to the wheels, tires, brakes, or hub? Because either way, that's bull*crap*.
I had a bad vibration between 28MPH-42MPH. First it was stated that it was due to my aftermarket wheels and Sottozero 3 winter tires. Then I put my factory wheels back on and it was supposedly due to the worn tires. Yea, I know, total B.S. So I said I'd buy new summer tires for my factory wheels.

I asked the SC to match Tire Rack's price, which they wouldn't. Fine, I'll pay the inflated price, but I want some kind of Road Hazard warranty (which BTW, Tire Rack includes for *free*). They said if I buy the tires from the SC, there is no kind of warranty available whatsoever, paid or otherwise. Well, I'm not spending $1600 on tires with no Road Hazard. So I asked if I could buy the TO tires from Tire Rack and have the SC install them. They finally very reluctantly agreed. It cost me almost double for them to install as opposed to other tire shops. Well, guess what... the vibration didn't change.

Now, they blamed it on the *new* tires; saying the the RFV on the rears were way off and this was causing it. Yea, I know, total B.S. So, I called Tire Rack, which provided over the top customer service BTW, and they sent me a new pair of tires overnight. I got a call the next day from the SC, which was asking me who was going to pay the $100 to M&B these 2 new tires. Are you kidding me?! Any other shop, would have done it out of good customer service. Well, I replied back that they should have never sent me home with the car, knowing that the RFV was way out of wack, so I expected them to handle it. Their response was that I didn't pay extra for the RoadForce balancing! Again, are you kidding me?! I paid almost twice the cost of any other shop for them to M&B, and they didn't at least RoadForce *check* them?? I pushed back up to management, and they reluctantly agreed to M&B them. Well, guess what... the vibration didn't change.

Now all of a sudden, after swapping tires that were operating perfectly fine, I have a slow leak on one of the rears. I bring it back, assuming they didn't tighten the valve stem core, and for them to still find the horrible vibration, and low and behold they find that my rear wheel is cracked. Hmm, wasn't cracked before... So, they claim that the cracked wheel is now the culprit behind the 28-42MPH vibration. Yea, I know, total B.S. They also stated that they put on a set of their own wheels and the vibration went away. I ask them what they are going to do about this cracked wheel that was not cracked before, and as I'm sure you can guess, absolutely nothing. So, I take the wheel to a reputable rebuilder, and they weld the crack. Oddly, there was absolutely no bend, deformation, or anything: the wheel was perfect other than a small crack on the inside rim where the bead is. Well, guess what... the vibration didn't change.

So, at this point, I took the factory wheels and tires off of my buddy's brand new Model S that he just took delivery of. Guess what... the vibration didn't change! So, what about them stating that they put their own wheels on and it went away?? I brought my car back up to them with my buddy's wheels on, and told them; here you go, new factory wheels and tires, and it still vibrates, so now what? They said, well now you're introducing way too many new variables. So they had me put my wheels back on and then said that they would try it again with their wheels. I implored them to let me go for the ride with them this time when they put their wheels on. They didn't... However, they did come back and say that low and behold it was doing it for them now. So they looked into it further and found a cracked motor mount!! But it doesn't end there...

After they had originally mucked with my car, it came back with a creak every time you came on and off the throttle. They said they couldn't reproduce it and sent me home with it. This troubled me because it was very easy to reproduce and I even had done it for the tech when he was in the car the first time I brought it in. So, this last time, before I left the parking lot, I tried and sure enough it still did it. I immediately went in and asked for the tech and the SA to get in the car with me so they can hear it. After demonstrating it again, they took my car back into the shop and guess what... they found that the axle bolts weren't tightened to spec!

Last edited:
This thread is really disappointing. Can't use factory spec tires installed by a third party??

Is there a way to escalate this so that there is a consistent policy across service centers? Even franchises have to adhere to some standards.

As for JohnnyG's post, wow!