Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Vehicle Log Graphing application for Mac OS X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I managed to get a look at CAC on one of the other parsing tools and general use of the car to me it seems to me pretty good. CAC seems to be steady. Would anyone else like to take a look and confirm my findings? I am a little bit of a novice but learning fast...
Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry, don't speak Mac here :(, but if you can boot to some version of Windows, VMSParser.exe is the program I would recommend using. Just open a command prompt and run it with the .tar file as the target (i.e. vmsparser.exe whatever.tar) and you'll get stuff flying by on the screen. You need to be in the directory where the log file is (doesn't seem to like paths...). The very last line displayed has the CAC, and you can see the recent history just above that. Here's what the last part of mine looks like (sorry for the line wraps, etc). The bold line at the bottom shows the CAC.

12/03/2016 17:11:57 - 12/03/2016 17:18:32 (00:06:35) Charge 83% -> 83% 240V 24A of 24A 0.5 kWh 0.0 Ah 0.0 Ah
12/04/2016 10:50:23 - 12/04/2016 10:56:42 (00:06:19) Drive 83% -> 83% 2.8 mi 29.6 mph 58.2 mph 42039.2 mi 0.8 kWh 0.4 Ah 2.7 Ah 302 Wh/mi
12/04/2016 11:00:45 - 12/04/2016 11:05:27 (00:04:42) Drive 81% -> 81% 0.7 mi 11.2 mph 54.0 mph 42039.9 mi 0.2 kWh 0.2 Ah 0.8 Ah
12/04/2016 11:07:53 - 12/04/2016 11:57:06 (00:49:13) Drive 81% -> 64% 43.0 mi 56.3 mph 74.0 mph 42082.9 mi 10.5 kWh 3.1 Ah 30.9 Ah 245 Wh/mi
12/04/2016 12:02:54 - 12/04/2016 14:44:25 (02:41:31) Charge 61% -> 83% 236V 26A of 24A 15.1 kWh 0.0 Ah 0.0 Ah 325 Wh/mi
201612042249.tar Transient section: odometer: 39934.0 to 42082.0 (2148.0 mi), 55.0 hours of driving, 319.4 hours of charging, over 169.9 days

Approximate CAC: 141.91 Ah as of 12/03/2016 16:20:10
greg@server:~/projects/tesla/VehicleLogs/5YJRE1A16A1000834>

Then run the program again with "-p" between the exe program name and the log file, and it will show you all the errors that have been logged. The magic decoder ring for the errors is posted here: Roadster

I believe that the graphical parser (TeslaGLOP.exe) also can display the CAC, but not the errors. Besides seeing a good CAC value, knowing what sort of errors the car has logged might be interesting. I didn't know it when I bought the car, but mine, for example, seemed to have a history of 1144 errors, which ultimately required a few trips to the Service Center to fix. I still would have bought the car, but it would have been nice to know what I was getting into, and it might have given me some leverage on price.

Again, there is a Mac version of VMSParser as well. It will provide the same results.
Thank you both very much for your messages - I can boot into Windows - I have boot camp but of course if the Mac version with terminal works then great - I did try the other day with this and could not get it to work - I am now running Sierra - but in any event I will boot into Windows and try that...
I have the logs of 2 cars - one seems to be much better than the other - one has literally hundreds of error messages with a lower CAC - the other seems to be the exact opposite.

1 of the contributors here very kindly looked at my log files and had a number of very pertinent comments. There was a number of messages: the error messages potentially the most serious were. I am quoting from what was sent to me (I hope he does not mind me posting him comments here...

• "HVAC Overheat warning, System will pause 1 min" from 19. September 2014 to 23. July 2015
  • I'm sure after a Climatic Control System Maintenance there was too high pressure in the system. The problem with this error is, it will not be reported on the Vehicle Display System (VDS) unless you are in Debug mode. So all you see or hear is a Coolant Compressor which runs for a few seconds only and then suspends for approx. 1 min to start again.
  • I had this after annual service and Coolant System maintenance, there was to much pressure in the system. In this situation you will not have optimal cooling for the battery which is needed when charging the car or for longer trips.
  • A few "DMC Motor Fan Problem, low fan speed"
  • Don't know if this errors are gone because of motor fan replacement, occurred a few times, then never again.
  • "Line Current or Voltage Offset too large"
  • Sometimes a PEM fuse was blown, but sometimes occurs without a blown fuse.
  • "Powertrain Problem, restart when safe", following by a "Communication Problem, Service required" on 17. June 2016, 17:54:36
  • No idea what's the reason for the powertrain problem. I had a VDS communication problem once which was gone after rebooting.
  • "Battery Problem, Service Required" on 19. June 2016, 11:23:45 for the first time
  • This is an error which really makes me worry. The error occurred multiple times. I inspected the driving data before and after this error for one case, it happened at least once during driving. I've seen, that the car was moving slowly before it occurred, then it stopped for several minutes until it continued driving.
  • A 2.x Roadsters has an auxiliary 12V battery onboard, but I think this error belongs to the main battery pack, because other error codes in this area do.

Otherwise the CAC on this car looked pretty good - on the other car that I had the log files less good.

My experiences continue - I have not really managed to get the app that works with "terminal" working yet but I hope it will. I am using Sierra so I hope that poses no problems.

Thanks to everyone for the contributions - I hope I can get this sorted.

Jonathan

Reactions: wiztecy
Yeah, it looks like something happened last June. Battery and the Power Train problems 2 days apart. Can you contact the owner at that time, and find out what happened, and how it was resolved? You might be able to get some information from the Service Center, but I understand that they've changed their policy on this, due to privacy concerns. If the VIN can be disclosed, there might also be some history you can find here, or something from someone who knows the car. It's a small community...

Good luck!

Yeah I certainly have the VIN. Can I put it out here in the open? Or should it be PM'd?
It's up to the current owner. Lots of us do, but certainly not all, which is why I asked "if the VIN can be disclosed". We generally only need the last 4 digits, and whether it's a US or International version, to identify the car. Presume it's left-hand drive. If the car has only had one owner in its life, and that owner has not been public on this forum, then publishing the VIN may not net you much information.

Its a European car left hand drive, last 4 digits of the VIN are 0796. Not sure whether the previous owner has been on this site or not. Also not sure if there has been only 1 owner. The car has around 26K MILES so its probably fair to assume he/she are the original owner...

The car has around 26K MILES so its probably fair to assume he/she are the original owner...

You'd think so but in the case of the Roadster its not all that true. Many original owner's who bought the car barely drove them, they ended up sitting in garages and in a sense forgotten. I picked mine up with 3k miles back in 2012 and it was built in 2009. There were many other Roadsters with a little over that and under, some as low as around 800 miles on them. These low mileage Roadsters were then sold off to second owners and sometimes 3rd. So getting back to it its very possible a 26k mile Roadster has had 2 or 3 owners.

Well thank you guys so much for your info on this....I have actually had a little luck and managed to find a little history. Wiztecy - you are absolutely right. The roadster has had 3 owners to date. The last guy did not have it for long and traded it in on something and then the current dealer purchased the car from the trade in dealer.
The car dealer has found me the last service papers and it had the guys name on it who did the service with a phone number! So I am currently waiting for him to get back to me with the information. I feel that I am going to get the bottom of this...sorry this has gone way off topic on this thread...but hey I am still talking about logs...

Reactions: wiztecy
Any idea what could be going wrong - does the format of the log files seem correct to you guys?
The Mac program, that this thread is dedicated to, is designed to open the .tar file. You're not supposed to unpack it first. Also, there is not currently any support for reading the CAC or diagnostic messages.

I would like to respectfully request that folks start a new thread when discussing the history of a particular car, or when describing any of the other Roadster parsing software. Feel free to leave a link to another thread and continue the off-topic discussion there. I would prefer to continue this thread on the original topic, and only discuss this particular software.

New version is released as 2.5

From the ReadMe.rtf:

This version requires Mac OS X Mountain Lion (version 10.8) or newer. It has been signed with a Developer ID to facilitate running on machines where you may not have permission to install new applications from unknown developers. Note that macOS 10.12 Sierra seems to have problems with progress bars, and drawing is much slower. For now, the focus is on supporting older versions.

The biggest feature change for this version is a direct result of learning that it is possible for a Roadster to wrap (and overwrite) its Permanent log. The new code detects wrapped Permanent log entries as well as the usual wrapped Recent log entries. There should be a lot fewer errors when loading VehicleLogs.

The Charge Log window ruler has one change, with the new legend showing 100% (full range), 85% (full standard), 70%, 60%, 50%, 20% (storage), 10% (warning level), and 0% for the battery level.

The application name has been changed from "Tesla" to "Tesla Roadster" to make it clear that the Model S, Model X, and Model 3 are not supported.