Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Van

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be cool if Tesla worked with aftermarket companies to build custom Model Xs. You order the Model X you want. Pick out seating options. Interior colors. Say you want the second row with removable swivel captain chairs and the third row you want a bench that folds out into a bed. Or you need a wheelchair accessible Model X. Aftermarket company can build a deployable ramp so a person can roll their wheelchair into the vehicle

Any reliable sources talking about CyberVan? I'm really really hoping for an official announcement on March 1 - a highly customizable/configurable cargo van that could be kitted out to be a passenger van/delivery van (I'd love refrigeration for transporting veggies/etc)/camper van would be a big splash.

If it had V2L/H, I'd rather buy that than the Cybertruck (a cargo/camper van would fit my needs better)... But it would be extremely optimistic to think that Tesla would produce the van any time soon... Historically they've announced things years in advance of production.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Any reliable sources talking about CyberVan? I'm really really hoping for an official announcement on March 1 - a highly customizable/configurable cargo van that could be kitted out to be a passenger van/delivery van (I'd love refrigeration for transporting veggies/etc)/camper van would be a big splash.

If it had V2L/H, I'd rather buy that than the Cybertruck (a cargo/camper van would fit my needs better)... But it would be extremely optimistic to think that Tesla would produce the van any time soon... Historically they've announced things years in advance of production.
There is virtually no chance they will announce a van on March 1. I'd love a van too, but I think we'll be waiting a long time.

Reactions: Buckminster
Even if it is announced we will be waiting a long time. From Semi announcement to availability was 5 years. Worse for roadster 2.
Roadster 2 will be low volume like the S and X. I don’t see how that will be a profitable venture.

Van if done conceived thoughtfully and has a platform that Eid easily configured for different roles. I don’t see it being a large van. GVWR similar to the current ford transit connect payload.

A high top van with large side doors and a large rear hatch. Will Tesla even allow aftermarket companies to turn Vans into large luxury vehicles or into Mobility access Vans? Will Telsa even work on vehicles that are modified
I'm thinking the answer to that is no. Currently you can't even do a software update if you have your seats removed from the car. Highly doubt they would allow for third party integration.

A high top van with large side doors and a large rear hatch. Will Tesla even allow aftermarket companies to turn Vans into large luxury vehicles or into Mobility access Vans? Will Telsa even work on vehicles that are modified
As someone who will likely need an accessible van, I desperately want Tesla to support doing so. I suspect it'll be a long time before they do because their focus is on massive scale, not niche products.

I'm thinking the answer to that is no. Currently you can't even do a software update if you have your seats removed from the car. Highly doubt they would allow for third party integration.
They have worked with teams that race Teslas, like Unplugged Performance, so I hope the idea of partnering with an accessibility-focused company like Braunability wouldn't be completely impossible.

Reactions: Watts_Up
As someone who will likely need an accessible van, I desperately want Tesla to support doing so. I suspect it'll be a long time before they do because their focus is on massive scale, not niche products.

If Tesla is serious about making Robo Taxis, I believe that some cities require that some of a Taxi fleet muust provide ADA access.

Tesla can do anything they choose to do. Mobile service showed up at my house in a Model X with no second or third row seats. A nice custom divider separated the front seats from the rear cargo area. Think police car.

I keep thinking what parts could a van share with the Cyber truck. I don’t think very many. The van probably will have a clean sheet design. A model 3 robo taxi fleet just seems more likely. A tested platform that you have experience with volume production with.

The real question is how much cheaper can Tesla manufacture the 3/Y line. Will Highland be the point of diminishing returns? How much longer can Teslas demand keep outpacing supply? That will force some changes and one of them could be a new model but I have zero hope of a van until that happens.

Another good video from Dave:-

Seems to me that one variant of the van could be a minivan for 6-8 passengers, coupled with a Robotaxi which seats 2-4, that is most of the rideshare/public transport market covered with 2 vehicles. probably no real need for a bigger bus.

The van would also be a normal work freight van. the main difference is fewer seats.

In conjunction with the Cybertruck that is most of the light commercial vehicle market covered.

Finally the van could be a compact camper van, a van is a very versatile vehicle shape,.

It won’t be an American market centered van. Teslas entire manufacturing process is designed to make one thing. It’s not like a body on frame assembly line.

The robo taxi and delivery/commercial vans are different sizes in the American market. I don’t see two vans as realistic. I don’t see how a single Tesla assembly line could make two versions. A van / people mover for the Chinese market is my guess. A van before 2028 is unlikely. The cyber truck will consume US manufacturing capacity and the model 2 (if it’s real) Chinese manufacturing capacity until then.