Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unveils New Tesla Brand Solar Inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am scheduled to have a 9.18 kW system with 2 powerwalls installed on jan25 with a SE inverter. My roof is pretty much all sun, so not too worried about optimizers (right?). Should I ask my PM to switch me over to the tesla one?

So I am scheduled to have a 9.18 kW system with 2 powerwalls installed on jan25 with a SE inverter. My roof is pretty much all sun, so not too worried about optimizers (right?). Should I ask my PM to switch me over to the tesla one?
While we know they have announced the product and are starting to include it in new contracts, it may not be available that soon for planned installs as they roll it out (and presumably look to deplete inventory of their non-Tesla inverters.) That said, it does not hurt to ask. The Tesla inverter would probably be nice to have long-term as it will presumably be a more integrated product, though there is probably a higher risk of issues in the short-term, as with any new product.

Makes me think that something I hope could improve long-term with the Tesla-branded inverter is servicing times. If they have their own product and only a small number of models, hopefully they will be able to more quickly replace defective units - and even install temporary ones if or while working on replacements.

I can imagine reflection from the sails, high clouds and the wind cooliing the panels would all contribute to that phenomena.

It's actually only happened while on anchor, that I'm aware of. With sails up you're almost guaranteed to cast a shadow on them. But the cooling is definitely a possibility.

I have three sets of two 350w panels attached to their own Victron 100/50. They've each shown over 715w in the app, which certainly could be inaccurate. It's pretty great running a 16000 BTU aircon while still adding power to the house batteries.

You would have to do some reading and decide for yourself but personally I would not. The solar edge is a tried and true inverter and considered the best in the industry (along with enphase). The power optimizers allow you to have panel level monitoring which will be lacking on the new Tesla inverter and I think a huge benefit to the solar edge over the Tesla inverter. Also the solar edge with optimizers is considered 99.2% efficient where is the new Tesla inverter is only 97.5% efficient. This is a small difference and likely not enough to move the needle but if it were me, I’d be excited to have the SE and wouldn’t try to change to a less efficient, less tried and true inverter for my system... but I’m sure there are other opinions, especially for people who would like more Tesla equipment. The SE will work with power walls but the new Tesla one might interface better(?) so if you’re doing powerwalls, maybe a reason to try to change.

For those asking about SolarEdge’s optimizers maybe this article will be helpful. Keep in mind this is from an Australian website as you read some specifics.

SolarEdge Inverter Review - Power Optimisers — Clean Energy Reviews

The site also pointed out:
“Solaredge Optimisers also enable longer strings of panels (up to 22 modules), offer rapid shutdown for increased safety, help reduce the detrimental effects of shading, and can provide early detection of potential issues. However, optimisers also add more complexity to the system and any electronic device mounted on the roof also has the potential to cause issues in the longer term. SolarEdge also has an extended 12 year warranty period.”

Tesla’s Hanwha Q-Cell 340W solar panels installed with the SolarEdge Wave inverters are specifically for Tesla and designed for use with the SE optimizers and the data sheet provided to owners will be slightly different than that for the 340W panels fearured on the Q-Cell website as a result.

BTW I understand the new Tesla inverter is quite a bit heavier than the Solar Edge version. Since we have our system in place and wanted optimizers for potential shading, haven’t checked out the other specifications on the new one.

Tesla uses ZEP mountings. ZEP was acquired by SolarCity which was acquired by Tesla so bringing a Tesla inverter inhouse just increases their vertical integration. SunPower is company that I believe offers a fully vertical integrated SunPower solar/battery backup solution.

As listed on the Tesla product page and mentioned above in this thread, the max operating range of 113F wouldn’t be an issue for our garage installation but we have neighbors that have theirs installed outdoors and we see temps in the 100s here and have reached the 113F a few years back. I love the looks of it and seeing the panels monitored on your Tesla app would be nice but really your installation location and system specifics should determine what’s best for you, so I wouldn’t be disappointed if you already have your system installed and weren’t able to get this — Kind of like how the Gateway 2 looks better and offers a few things some people can take advantage of but otherwise Gateway 1 worked just as well for most.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I don't think I've heard a single report of a Powerwall failing. I'm sure it's happened, but it's not very common, is it?

I thought @BrettS had a problem with his when it was first installed... saying this from memory though. I seem to remember tesla trying to give him a remanufactured one when he had not even paid for the new install as of that time. Other than him, I dont remember reading about powerwalls failing... and I could be mis remembering that full scenario.

Just to be clear, you keep mentioning "running off grid" but you will not be contacting your electrical utility and telling them to "come get your meter" if you have solar and tesla powerwalls. Essentially, its a grid tied system.

Its design is such that it will allow you to use your solar when the grid is off (if there is a power outage etc), but it is not an "off the grid" type solution. Also, if you have enough solar and batteries through (any weather and sun situation) in the winter, you will likely have a huge amount of over production in the summer. This only really becomes an issue depending on how your utility handles net metering.

In any case, you are likely aware of all this, but just wanted to make sure. As a point of reference, on my own system, I have a "negative grid draw" from about March 1 to about November 15, on a MONTHLY basis, however there are definitely days in there where that is not the case, because of weather. Also, from Nov 15 to Feb 28 my solar does not cover my home usage. Yearly, I end up close to "zero" but I dont consider myself to be "off the electrical grid".

I do enjoy looking at the daily negative numbers for most of the year, minimizing my dependance on my electrical utility, but its not "off the grid"
Yes, I understand I won't be technically off grid. Actually, here in the middle of Sedona, Arizona, I'm not sure if the local utility allows it.

Nevertheless, the goal is to learn what it takes to go off grid, then, if/when the utility company becomes even more slimy or underhanded with their pricing and service than they already are, I can essentially cut the cord. But in the meantime, I'd rather give my excess production back to the grid for others to use.

My Tesla solar advisor called yesterday. Long story short, he got excited when he saw the new Tesla-branded inverter on my supply list. He said something like, "Oh wow, I didn't know they were installing these already, this is the first one I've seen. And it looks like you've been selected to have it installed."

I asked him for a spec sheet. I haven't received it yet, I'll keep bugging him, and if I get one I'll post it to this forum.

I thought @BrettS had a problem with his when it was first installed... saying this from memory though. I seem to remember tesla trying to give him a remanufactured one when he had not even paid for the new install as of that time. Other than him, I dont remember reading about powerwalls failing... and I could be mis remembering that full scenario.

Don’t recall who, but yes essentially remember the same thing from a post on TMC. Photo showed “burned” spots on the unit along with report of smokey smell that alerted the owner to check it out. I’m sure there is a certain percentage of units among all products that will have some type of failure issue. Fire being the most concerning one and not necessarily the result of the product but also installation or line I suppose. I assume all these products have some sort of detection and shut down response to be certified. I know our SE inverter has a rapid shut down as does the Tesla inverter.

Were these the older models with the display screens? Understand from what I read on here there were problems with it and likely resulted in the newer designed Wave model without the screen.

The first one had the screen and lasted about 6 months. The second one had no screen and lasted about 2 years. They were both replaced under warranty but losing two weeks of production each time is no fun.

The Powerblaster is just a Neurio. That functionality is available from a lot of products and is available as an option from Solaredge and Enphase. No magic there.

I was mentioning it because for the last couple of months, Tesla was still installing systems with SolarEdge/Delta, but had run out of Powerblasters. So this was a confirmation that they stopped stocking separate consumption monitors because the new inverter has the functionality built in.

Reactions: Ampster