Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did service guys mess up my powerwalls? How to verify?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everybody,
I have a 12KW Tesla solar array with 4x powerwalls and 2 x 7.6 KW built in Tesla inverters (so technically its 2x Powerwall 2's, and 2 X Powerwall Plus).
2 weeks ago I received a text that my system needed service. One of my inverters is showing Arc faults. While waiting for service, everything else has worked fine, I was just getting half production.

I'm in the "Connected Solutions" program with my utility, which allows the power company to pull power from my batteries during events they schedule, and I get paid based on the average KW I output during these events. They've been having events nearly every day the past few weeks. (they run June-September) Every event my powerwalls have been pushing out 21.6KW for 2+ hours (events are either 2 or 3 hours).

Yesterday the crew comes out, and work on it for about 4+ hours. They climbed my roof and do all sorts of stuff.... yet when they're done, tell me the problem isn't fixed. They told me they checked the inverter and it "didn't pop" but it was showing arc faults, so they replaced a bunch of parts that may be causing the arc faults but "We can't turn the inverter back on, Tesla needs to do it remotely, for us it just says its in Standby". (This sounds like BS to me...) the guy told me if its not working in an hour to call Tesla..... He also said "We're pretty new to working on these systems" which worried me.....

So last night, another Connected solution event happens, but this time its only pushing out 17.2Kw (not 21.6KW like it has for all previous events). My app still says "powerwall x4", but to me it almost seems like they unhooked one of the powerwalls or something. Is there any way to confirm or deny this? I've logged into the tesla gateway using the webgui, but the info in there is pretty minimal. I don't even see any info about my inverter being down. Is there anything I can check? I've put in calls to Tesla support and waiting to hear back.

Thanks in advance or any help you can give!

I'm curious if you are topping off your PWs using the grid, or if you are able to fill from your solar on a (sunny) daily basis?

I'm thinking what they are paying you for supplying power is in excess of what it costs to refill from the grid, but just thinking out loud. :)

I'm curious if you are topping off your PWs using the grid, or if you are able to fill from your solar on a (sunny) daily basis?

I'm thinking what they are paying you for supplying power is in excess of what it costs to refill from the grid, but just thinking out loud. :)
Before my problem started, I was able to fill my powerwalls during the day with sun. But since 1 of my inverters apparently blew, I turned on the grid charging feature to make sure I'm topped off when an event happens, as it will only pull down to 20% of my powerwalls. Events run 2 or 3 hours and they pay you based on what you output during that time. Yeah, it sucks that I'm basically buying electricity from them only to push it back out, but the rate they are paying me is a LOT more than what I'm buying it for.

Reactions: Matt-FL
Hi Everybody,
I have a 12KW Tesla solar array with 4x powerwalls and 2 x 7.6 KW built in Tesla inverters (so technically its 2x Powerwall 2's, and 2 X Powerwall Plus).
2 weeks ago I received a text that my system needed service. One of my inverters is showing Arc faults. While waiting for service, everything else has worked fine, I was just getting half production.

I'm in the "Connected Solutions" program with my utility, which allows the power company to pull power from my batteries during events they schedule, and I get paid based on the average KW I output during these events. They've been having events nearly every day the past few weeks. (they run June-September) Every event my powerwalls have been pushing out 21.6KW for 2+ hours (events are either 2 or 3 hours).

Yesterday the crew comes out, and work on it for about 4+ hours. They climbed my roof and do all sorts of stuff.... yet when they're done, tell me the problem isn't fixed. They told me they checked the inverter and it "didn't pop" but it was showing arc faults, so they replaced a bunch of parts that may be causing the arc faults but "We can't turn the inverter back on, Tesla needs to do it remotely, for us it just says its in Standby". (This sounds like BS to me...) the guy told me if its not working in an hour to call Tesla..... He also said "We're pretty new to working on these systems" which worried me.....

So last night, another Connected solution event happens, but this time its only pushing out 17.2Kw (not 21.6KW like it has for all previous events). My app still says "powerwall x4", but to me it almost seems like they unhooked one of the powerwalls or something. Is there any way to confirm or deny this? I've logged into the tesla gateway using the webgui, but the info in there is pretty minimal. I don't even see any info about my inverter being down. Is there anything I can check? I've put in calls to Tesla support and waiting to hear back.

Thanks in advance or any help you can give!
I have more or less the same setup as you. 10.8kW with 4x PW (2xPW+ both 7.6kW and 2xPW2).

Last week I was rolled from FW 23.12.11 To 23.28.1…apparently because there was systemic arc fault issues in the earlier FW’s. In another thread I posted and major PV generation reduction, but it was clarified by Tesla that after that FW update the system has to self-test all its strings (I have 7). Anyways, my solar production seems back to normal. But…

I used to be able to Grid Charge (import) to the PW’s at 21.6kW (same as your export rate, which makes sense due to same powerwall config, I don’t think this is coincidence). I could only export at 11.9kW however, that is how Tesla configured my Site Export limit, I assume due to my utility’s (PGE) requirement.

However, after the FW upgrade, I can or import at the full 21.6kW anymore. I can only import at 17.2kW. Even though this is import vs your issue on export, the numbers make me wonder if more then a coincidence?

When you had your degradation…any chance you know what FW you were on? And if it recently changed?

Also, can you normally grid charge (import) at 21.6kW? Did that also reduce to 17.2kW? Or just your export?

Lastly, what state/utility are you in? I’m curious how you got approval for full rate export at 21.6kW in the first place?