Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 1.0kw maximum output

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not be giving up on getting this fixed and your posts are the first that I have seen here reporting export limitation in this way. AS @GWord pointed out, the Powerwall datasheet lists 50C (122F) as the maximum operating temperature. Looking at the historical weather for Phoenix, AZ on 8/13/2023 when you first posted the max was 108F which is below the rated specification. Your Powerwall may be outside and in full sun and therefor in a hotter environment, but there isn't any data that confirms this:

There have been issues with Powerwall coolant leaks and maybe that is what is happening, maybe the internal temp sensors are off and that is what is happening, but either of this should be fixed under warranty.

I think that you need to verify that you can get the full 5kW out of the Powerwall in a cool environment. You tried going off grid and turning on the HVAC, but that didn't work as the HVAC startup is too much for the Powerwall to handle. I am very surprised that your AC unit is backed up load with only a single Powerwall. So, instead in the cool morning with your HVAC off, go off grid and just start turning on lights and electric appliances (oven, stove, microwave, etc) to ramp your load from the 0.5kW base up to 3+kW. If the Powerwall can't handle that then there is a serious problem.
Thank you for your support and information. Last night while in Self Powered Mode the Powerwall put out a peak of 3.7kw. My question for Tesla is why was the Powerwall able to provide 5kw in June when it was just as hot.

Really the worst part is Tesla doesn't provide an escalation path beyond their Tier-2, which are saying the system is working correctly so no further action is possible.

It is curious there aren't really other people with this issue. I wonder if Tesla released a software update to limit output to protect the battery longevity since that is what is under warrantee but then wouldn't there be a huge public outcry?

Thank you for your support and information. Last night while in Self Powered Mode the Powerwall put out a peak of 3.7kw. My question for Tesla is why was the Powerwall able to provide 5kw in June when it was just as hot.

Really the worst part is Tesla doesn't provide an escalation path beyond their Tier-2, which are saying the system is working correctly so no further action is possible.

It is curious there aren't really other people with this issue. I wonder if Tesla released a software update to limit output to protect the battery longevity since that is what is under warrantee but then wouldn't there be a huge public outcry?

I have personally not had any issues with managing under SRP's demand based plans here in AZ with a single power wall but does sound like there may be some issues with your particular one. That being said perhaps a few suggestions I would have:

1) You could perhaps look to install some sort of shade. Mine is on NW side of house and gets a lot of sun but has been out there for 3 summers and are still operating at "normal" levels (e.g. currently showing 13.1kW of storage v 13.5kW new and will output 5kW continuously during peak hours).

2) Perhaps not your major worry here but the E-15 SRP plan is pretty cost effective if you can manage some of your demand

3) I'd suggest deleting and re-establishing the Rate plan. The attached works for me under E-15 and also worked well under E-27 when I was on that plan (note that I have since changed the peak sell rate to $0.04 to ensure that algorithm choose to recharge battery versus push excess back to grid - I prefer a fuller battery to ensure I can get through peak periods versus the small arbitrage of peak buyback)

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak
I have personally not had any issues with managing under SRP's demand based plans here in AZ with a single power wall but does sound like there may be some issues with your particular one. That being said perhaps a few suggestions I would have:

1) You could perhaps look to install some sort of shade. Mine is on NW side of house and gets a lot of sun but has been out there for 3 summers and are still operating at "normal" levels (e.g. currently showing 13.1kW of storage v 13.5kW new and will output 5kW continuously during peak hours).

2) Perhaps not your major worry here but the E-15 SRP plan is pretty cost effective if you can manage some of your demand

3) I'd suggest deleting and re-establishing the Rate plan. The attached works for me under E-15 and also worked well under E-27 when I was on that plan (note that I have since changed the peak sell rate to $0.04 to ensure that algorithm choose to recharge battery versus push excess back to grid - I prefer a fuller battery to ensure I can get through peak periods versus the small arbitrage of peak buyback)

I appreciate the suggestions. My Powerwall is on the side of my house and is shaded from 2 to 4pm and from 6 to 8pm, it is not hot to the touch. The performance is the same from 2pm to 8pm. I am manually switching from TBC from 8pm to 2pm and Self Powered from 2pm to 8pm during peak so the rate plan is not in effect during on-peak hours.

I've got four Powerwalls in Tucson. Mine are installed in the garage, but it still gets quite warm in there during the summer.

@Don_Singer are you sure your cooling loop and fan are working correctly? If you install something like Powerwall Dashboard you can monitor the Powerwall temps. My units were between 32-40C even during the heat of July.

I don't think I am tech-savvy enough to install the dashboard, how can I read the unit temperatures?