Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla UK T0 Tyre Directive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car went through the SC and had a tyre and wheel alignment check without any comment about the rears not being TO. I ordered matching replacements for the front from Asda and the (same) tyre fitters said they weren’t supposed to fit them because they were not Tesla recommended. But they did anyway. Now have 4 Michelin ePrimacy tyres which seem great.

If there is some sort of spec that goes beyond size, weight and speed rating I guess it might be picked up at an MOT but its existence would have to be in the public domain.

Reactions: Stuart Watson
Be interested to hear if they are any good. Had Bridgestones on a 200hp car and they were diabolical.

I know all the major marques moved away from them on performance cars.
Yeah I know what you mean, I had them on a Civic Type R years again, but never had any issues. Done 100 miles on them already since yesterday and strangely they seems less noisy than the original Hancooks, and feel fine to me!

I called Costco earlier today to get a price on four CrossClimate 2's, and was told that Tesla has recently issued a directive that prohibits them from fitting anything that isn't T0. This was confirmed by two people, and they have said they would need a letter from Tesla UK before they could proceed (but were otherwise happy to do it).
Brief update on my escalation to Costco HQ, the branch manager of my local Costco called to say they're conducting an investigation to try and find out where this information came from, and clarify whether or not it's genuine. Will be a few days before they can confirm as the supervisor of the Tyre Shop is apparently on holiday!

Brief update on my escalation to Costco HQ, the branch manager of my local Costco called to say they're conducting an investigation to try and find out where this information came from, and clarify whether or not it's genuine. Will be a few days before they can confirm as the supervisor of the Tyre Shop is apparently on holiday!
OK thanks for checking. I got my Michelin CC+ from Costco and they did mention something in passing - 2 years ago! I ignored it and they fitted the tyres. It did strike me as a bit odd but I moved on and forgot about it. Be interesting to see if there is anything formal or if it's just some urban myth. That said, the tech at the Notts SC also mentioned that my tyres weren't "approved" but couldn't say what the implications actually were. Curious eh. It sounds like BS to me but knowing that insurance companies will grab at anything to avoid paying a claim, I guess we need to know. I'm back at Notts SC at the end of July so I'll push it there as well.

OK thanks for checking. I got my Michelin CC+ from Costco and they did mention something in passing - 2 years ago! I ignored it and they fitted the tyres. It did strike me as a bit odd but I moved on and forgot about it. Be interesting to see if there is anything formal or if it's just some urban myth. That said, the tech at the Notts SC also mentioned that my tyres weren't "approved" but couldn't say what the implications actually were. Curious eh. It sounds like BS to me but knowing that insurance companies will grab at anything to avoid paying a claim, I guess we need to know. I'm back at Notts SC at the end of July so I'll push it there as well.
I’m totally with you on not giving insurance companies an inch, but this would be the most ridiculous (and huge) can of worms ever.

Without changes to regulations I don’t see how they could possibly try and enforce that.

My guess would be that this is less about warranty or road worthiness, and more about tesla wanting to sell tyres direct to customers. Hence “persuasion” tactics. It’s not impossible to conceive that they could push tyre manufacturers to refuse to sell T marked tyres to independent or third parties for example. 🤷‍♂️

The insurance point is a red herring. By that logic, most cars in the U.K. would be uninsured.

Go and have a look at a bunch of older cars and you’ll quickly see that very few have OEM tyres on them.

That said if you don’t own the car (E.g. it’s leased) the. You need to check the terms of your agreement to see if there are any restrictions on what you can fit as replacements.

What ever you do, just make sure you fit good quality tyres.

I think there is no reason to panic about this. Since Tesla has not sent out any information to owners about any change, I cannot see this being genuine information.
Let's say it would be an actual requirement and this has not been shared to owners... Then I assume that Tesla quickly would have a class-action lawsuit where anyone with non-T0 tyres ( but that still has the correct size, width and load level) would be able to request a refund for the tyres they already purchased. So, much more likely that one of the approved tyre manufacturer have given the wrong instruction to Costco during a sales meeting.

My car will be sold between December 2022-March 2023 but would need new tyres by then (19" & all between 2-3mm, 19k miles) so was considering exchanging Hankooks for Michelin Crossclimate 2s. I need to get several months benefit from them so no point changing just prior to selling.

Given their current discount for four tyres fitted, TPMS, balanced etc, Kwik Fit were the cheapest/most convenient but when I visited pre-order it turned out that the OEM TO foam filled Hankooks were considerably lower cost and also available within one day.

Hearing that one local Model 3 owner was in dispute with his (& my) insurance company (Churchill) for an accident on non-TO tyres I have therefore fitted like-for-like. I never had any previous issues but have been particularly careful in very cold/wet winter conditions.

Worth mentioning that Tesla is not alone when it comes to marking OEM tyres.

Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo, Missan and more will all have OEM codes on tyres.

Screenshot_20220626-190724_Edge.jpg

Tyres are confusing, so to make it easier for consumers to choose a tyre that will give them the OEM experience, car manufacturers will work with tyre manufacturers to make the process of choosing a tyre easy.

More info here

Worth mentioning that Tesla is not alone when it comes to marking OEM tyres.

Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, Volvo, Missan and more will all have OEM codes on tyres.

View attachment 821320

Tyres are confusing, so to make it easier for consumers to choose a tyre that will give them the OEM experience, car manufacturers will work with tyre manufacturers to make the process of choosing a tyre easy.

More info here

Plus the tyres can be different. For example an off the shelf Pirelli PZero is going to be different from a T0. Different compounds, different grip, noise levels etc.

Reactions: pow216
Plus the tyres can be different. For example an off the shelf Pirelli PZero is going to be different from a T0. Different compounds, different grip, noise levels etc.
Yes there have been OEM spec tyres for years - some for performance reasons, others for cost.

However you don't normally get a jobsworth saying you cannot put anything other than the very specific OEM tyres on your own property.

Just piggybacking on this as I haven't found an answer before, but I was looking for All season tyres for a potential change of my future MY, and couldn't find any eligible ones on Kwickfit (they have either full Summer or Winter) - in 19".

Anyone found something accepted for Gemini wheels. I believe those are 255/45/19?
Do we know if there are any Tesla approved (or not) All Seasons tyres in 19"?

To be clear - I am well aware there are other suppliers available (I have prices from them already), that isn't the purpose of this thread. Costco are well known for being particularly strict with their fitting, and so the fact that others are prepared to do so isn't in itself relevant here.

My question is specifically whether anyone has seen evidence of this apparent directive from Tesla UK? Has anyone had a similar discussion with their local Costco tyre shop?
Most definitely a Costco issue, their over cautious approach is a burden to the customer. Last time they wouldn’t replace 2 tyres and said I had to have all 4 done due to me ordering online.

Jesus wept. So people are now too stupid to order the correct spec. of replacement tyre?? Have to be nannied and only order an OEM stamped replacement...

Its not a ****in Veyron....
Let's be real. Most people don't have a flying clue about tyres, and are woefully undereducated on how important they are. Nor do they want to spend the time researching IMO (fair enough if you're busy). They just go to a tyre shop or order online via their reg and take what they're sold (or told) they need.

Probably not yet the case for the majority of Tesla owners, but as they become more and more mainstream, it will increasingly be so.

Most definitely a Costco issue, their over cautious approach is a burden to the customer. Last time they wouldn’t replace 2 tyres and said I had to have all 4 done due to me ordering online.
I'm inclined to believe this is the case too. I was speaking to a lead tech on the weekend at an event and he said there is no new directive coming from Tesla as far as he knows.

- - -

Unless you're leasing (in which case check first), buy the tyres you want, as long as they're legal and suitable for the vehicle, and let insurance know to be safe. They don't care unless they find and/or prove that damage was caused during fitting or by a non-T0 tyre, i.e. a cheaper EV tyre (if you can find such a thing) with inferior foam inserts that come loose and cause a wheel wobble and throws the alignment off or damages the TPMS.

In what will come as a surprise to no one, he did also say they have a big backorder on their T marked tyres. It's a struggle to get them at the moment. Go figure.

100% agree. Unless you are buying all 4 new tyres, Costco is too much hassle, they have some very weird holier than thou mentality that I just don't get.

The last time I bought new tyres from Costco it was for my Golf GTI (front wheel drive) and I only needed one pair of tyres. All four tyres (Pilot Sport 2) had been swapped at the same time previously, and while the rears still had plenty of tread, the fronts were heading towards illegal (the GTI was brutal on the fronts, they lasted half as long as the rears). Costco refused to put the new tyres on the front , because "we're only allowed to put the best tyres on the rear, just doing my job guv". I kind of had no choice because I was already there (hour there and back), but that was the last time I bought tyres off Costco. Next time was Tyres on the Drive and it was great!!

Reactions: Rooster6655