Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD timeline and capability update, from the man.

Elon Musk:
Yeah, seeing it everywhere.Btw, 12.4 goes to internal release this weekend and limited external beta next week. Roughly 5X to 10X improvement in miles per intervention vs 12.3. 12.5 will be out in late June. Will also see a major improvement in mpi and is single stack – no more implicit stack on highways.
I believe this is the first time Elon has given us any clue about their internal intervention statistics. It's extremely bullish that Elon is willing to share this at all.

The inside story of Elon Musk’s mass firings of Tesla Supercharger staff

Some excerpts:

“After Tinucci had cut between 15% and 20% of staffers two weeks earlier, part of much wider layoffs, they believed Musk would affirm plans for a massive charging-network expansion.

The meeting could not have gone worse. Musk, the employees said, was not pleased with Tinucci’s presentation and wanted more layoffs. When she balked, saying deeper cuts would undermine charging-business fundamentals, he responded by firing her and her entire 500-member team.”…

“Tinucci was one of few high-ranking female Tesla executives. She recently started reporting directly to Musk, following the departure of battery-and-energy chief Drew Baglino, according to four former Supercharger-team staffers. They said Baglino had historically overseen the charging department without much involvement from Musk.”…

“The energy team that was assigned to take over charging-network management has some similar design and construction roles, two of the former Tesla employees said. But charging projects are fundamentally different because they are located in public places and require extensive negotiations with utilities, local governments and landowners, they said.The energy team was already struggling to keep pace with its current workload, said two of the former charging-network staffers.”

“On Friday, Musk posted that “Tesla will spend well over $500M expanding our Supercharger network to create thousands of NEW chargers this year….Two former Supercharger staffers called the $500 million expansion budget a significant reduction from what the team had planned for 2024 - but nonetheless a challenge requiring hundreds of employees. In an analysis provided to Reuters, San Francisco research firm EVAdoption estimated a $500 million investment this year would translate to Tesla building 77% fewer charging ports per month in the United States compared with the automaker’s pace through April.”

Yeah, I'm thinking the comp plan reinstatement will be voted down. With Elon and Kimbal abstaining, I don't see where enough "yes" votes will come from. The glimmer of hope is that for the comp plan vote, they only need a majority of those voting.

This analysis from Harvard says that the move from Delaware to Texas has even less of a chance of passing because that one requires a majority of all stockholders, again with abstention from Elon and Kimbal.

How Will Shareholders Vote?

We speculate the exec comp proposal has a better chance to gain shareholder approval than the domicile proposal. The latter requires support from a majority of outstanding shares, while the former from a majority of only the shares voting at the AGM. Both exclude shares owned by Elon and his brother Kimbal Musk.

Given the extensive retail ownership of TSLA these days, winning a majority of outstanding shares means first just locating a substantial percentage of retail shareholders. And, persuading enough institutional shareholders to relinquish the protection of Delaware law could provide daunting.

The exec comp proposal should have an easier time. The lower voting standard helps greatly. Shareholders already approved the exact same exec comp plan back in 2018, and approved every one since then. Big institutions might trade a vote for the exec comp plan and a vote against moving the domicile. TSLA understands the need to attract votes, and launched a shareholder website for that specific purpose.

Some excerpts:

“After Tinucci had cut between 15% and 20% of staffers two weeks earlier, part of much wider layoffs, they believed Musk would affirm plans for a massive charging-network expansion.

The meeting could not have gone worse. Musk, the employees said, was not pleased with Tinucci’s presentation and wanted more layoffs. When she balked, saying deeper cuts would undermine charging-business fundamentals, he responded by firing her and her entire 500-member team.”…

“Tinucci was one of few high-ranking female Tesla executives. She recently started reporting directly to Musk, following the departure of battery-and-energy chief Drew Baglino, according to four former Supercharger-team staffers. They said Baglino had historically overseen the charging department without much involvement from Musk.”…

“The energy team that was assigned to take over charging-network management has some similar design and construction roles, two of the former Tesla employees said. But charging projects are fundamentally different because they are located in public places and require extensive negotiations with utilities, local governments and landowners, they said.The energy team was already struggling to keep pace with its current workload, said two of the former charging-network staffers.”

“On Friday, Musk posted that “Tesla will spend well over $500M expanding our Supercharger network to create thousands of NEW chargers this year….Two former Supercharger staffers called the $500 million expansion budget a significant reduction from what the team had planned for 2024 - but nonetheless a challenge requiring hundreds of employees. In an analysis provided to Reuters, San Francisco research firm EVAdoption estimated a $500 million investment this year would translate to Tesla building 77% fewer charging ports per month in the United States compared with the automaker’s pace through April.”
It sounds plausible but...it is a Reuters story so does not have the instant credibility it might otherwise have had. It's even slightly disingenuous to quote an article that itself is a reprint of the Reuters piece. Are there other more credible sources? As usual for Reuters this one quotes anonymous sources for a meeting none of whom even allegedly attended the primary meeting.

FSD timeline and capability update, from the man.

Elon Musk:
Yeah, seeing it everywhere.Btw, 12.4 goes to internal release this weekend and limited external beta next week. Roughly 5X to 10X improvement in miles per intervention vs 12.3. 12.5 will be out in late June. Will also see a major improvement in mpi and is single stack – no more implicit stack on highways.
My car has uploaded ~13GB of data past month. This times the number of cars makes it really show that FSD is on track to feed the mothership well. Can't wait for 8/8 frankly.

After taking a lot of Uber rides during a vacation, I'm more bullish about the future of Robotaxi and honestly can't wait for it to be deployed in more cities. I'm also rooting for Waymo as healthy competition is always good. There are just so many potential advantages, and too many disadvantages with the current Uber model.

Some advantages would include:

* Smoother and (hopefully) safer driving,
* No need to worry if I'll get a bad rating because the driver doesn't like children or some other bull*sugar* reason,
* Able to carry on a conversation without worrying about bothering the driver.
And so on.

I've been picky with Tesla for NVH, but out of all the cars we drove in, our favourite was the Tesla Model Y. Everything else has an inferior ride and just feels anachronistic and antiquated. I personally can't wait to see Robotaxis everywhere and would love to use them as a replacement for a second car, or for a rental car when on vacation.

I still dont understand why Berlin and Texas volume is so low.

Because 4680 low.
Another example of why you should go full BEV or bust....

That's not about BEV v PHEV v HEV v ICEV. That's about support v not support.

When a company stops using a battery on new vehicles it can go one of 3 ways:
- supported - battery is still manufactured for support of older vehicles
- generic - there are generic alternatives
- dead - can't get it, needs custom work to duplicate

By the mid 2000s, people were having problems with Gen 1 Prius batteries. $5k for a new battery that had been sitting in a warehouse and died quickly.
A company was able to make a compatible battery with Gen 2 Prius modules, and make a firmware update to the Gen 1 so it could use it.
Gen 1 Prius owners got a better battery for less.

Unfortunately, that's rare. We need generics for older vehicles, and the only way we'll get it is through legislation.

I believe this is the first time Elon has given us any clue about their internal intervention statistics. It's extremely bullish that Elon is willing to share this at all.

No baseline was provided- so saying "5-10x improvement" without saying from what number doesn't really tell you much.

Nor is this especially new- Tesla has shared such things like "69% improvement in FSD doing X" without telling you the base # in the FSD release notes for years now.

Some excerpts:

GNmYcfgbMAAiQXX.jpg

Credit: DogeDesigner.

For all who hold Tesla shares at Postfinance (Bank in Switzerland) and would like to vote with their shares: I have just received the personal message that Postfinance does not offer this service. They only offer this service for shares that are traded on the SIX (Swiss stock exchange). I am currently considering switching to a ‘real’ broker, which unfortunately won't be of any use for the upcoming vote.

A few weeks ago I read different information in this thread from people who also have shares in Postfinance and there seemed to be more positive news. Unfortunately, I can no longer find the posts. Perhaps a Swiss person is reading this post and can help me with their experiences?

It sounds plausible but...it is a Reuters story so does not have the instant credibility it might otherwise have had. It's even slightly disingenuous to quote an article that itself is a reprint of the Reuters piece. Are there other more credible sources? As usual for Reuters this one quotes anonymous sources for a meeting none of whom even allegedly attended the primary meeting.
All the issues you cite, including the Reuters bylines, are valid of course. As to location it appeared, understand that Reuters is a wire service, like AP (though not as reliable of course, nothing is) so its stories appear in any number of places. That’s its business model, it produces content for others. Nothing nefarious intended by my posting the Yahoo version, it will be identical everywhere else it appears and it was just that the Yahoo version was the one that popped up in my Google feed.
What would be truly helpful would be if Tesla explained it. It will not.

I’d address the issues discussed rather than undermine the credibility of the source. Reuters is a known quantity for better or worse. So is Elon. There may or may not be problems with the story, but it will essentially be (mostly) accurate.

What's to address? We don't have any additional insight into the goings on of that meeting or what Elon did or didn't do. But Reuters has shown itself repeatedly to be a cesspit of disinformation when it comes to Tesla, so I will treat it with the disdain it deserves.