Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla made in China April sales

2023 75,842
2024 62,167

-18% yoy
Thankfully this is not a Tesla specific problem. As others have noted, sales in China are down across the board.

I’m fairly certain Tesla will turn around when China does. In the meantime, we watch and wait, and we enjoy the drive or being driven by FSD.

No, missed that. I did notice the discourse has been more civil last few days.

That's because I've been posting less in the past few days, so I haven't been upsetting uber bulls with my conservative yet practical outlooks for the stock. 😁

I also spent most of the rainy weekend spreading Managed Democracy in Helldivers 2 and barely read the forums, so I've no idea why the Cat has been quiet. Maybe she's busy building something on her mountain top? 🤔

Thankfully this is not a Tesla specific problem. As others have noted, sales in China are down across the board.

Are they though? BYD showed high double digit growth in pretty much every category for April.

BYD passenger plug-in car sales last month (YOY change):

• BEVs: 134,465 (up 29%)
  • PHEVs: 177,583 (up 69%)
  • Total: 312,048 (up 49%)
Source: https://insideevs.com/news/718208/byd-global-plugin-car-sales-april2024/

Tesla has an interesting choice here.... they could do their pilots outside of CA.... say Nevada, Florida, or any of the other dozen or so states it's legal and there's little to NO reporting required at all. Thus we'd have no insight into disengagements or other metrics other than what Tesla chooses to release to the public.

OR.... they do it in CA-- which has actual regulatory hurdles to get on the road at all-- and requires a decent bit of reporting of data.....

Normally the first one seems to make tons more sense to avoid bad press.... but we also know FSD is most capable/overtrained in CA so it's most likely to get to the best performance results there the fastest too.

If I were to bet, I'd bet on doing it outside of California and then releasing cherry-picked statistics, same as they've been doing so far.

PS: There's a poor soul who can only express himself/herself via the same emoji reaction to all my posts. Bless him. 😅

Last edited:
Given the reporting: "Multiple sources have now confirmed that Elon Musk has shuttered the division responsible for the Supercharger network, resulting in layoffs for the entire team—approximately 500 employees.", it seems clear it was near 100% of the (US?) team (there are still Supercharger things happening, so not 'everyone' everyone. Were it 5,000 initally, the reporting would be different. Also doubtful the worldwide team would be 9x the size of the (US?) given China has a similar number of sites and rest of world is the final thirdish.

So now "multiple sources" are considered as valid and must unequivocally be the whole truth and nothing but the truth for Tesla?

I'm not going to begin to entertain this old saw as being something to consider as a valid reference without valid data to support it.

You have assumed that this 500 in the US was everyone with anything to do with Supercharging. This seems unlikely. What I've read has indicated they were the people involved with new sites. So evidenced by contractors not getting their calls answered, and Elon saying that existing construction should continue, but any who haven't broken ground should pause. Nothing has been mentioned about manufacturing, site service, or network operations being affected, has there?

This strongly indicates these 500 were very likely not involved with manufacturing, site service, network operations, etc. for the US Supercharger system.

Do you have anything to support this presumption that these 500 were all persons in the US managing all aspects of Superchargers?

If I were to speculate, as you and these "multiple sources" have also done, those 500 could have been in a planning/site selection/permitting section of the overall Supercharging group.

The overall group could easily include many, many more people than those working in an office managing a specific portion of the operation. Yet, to them working together in an office environment it would seem like "everybody" in their group were let go.

This could easily be an administrative group determined to be unnecessary if Tesla were to pivot their strategy toward selling pre-fab Superchargers, with service contracts for maintenance and network access.

Such a scheme makes sense. This is what they already do with Megapacks, isn't it?

Placing the burden upon local entities with a desire for a slice of the Supercharger pie to do the time consuming, on-the-ground work for site selection, demographics (need), permitting, arranging grid connections, etc.

These tasks are an unnecessary burden for Tesla to manage remotely with efficiency. Someone with local knowledge and contacts are better positioned to more effectively do this work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spacep0d

Fisker, Rivian, Polestar and Lucid are all looking like they are struggling. Can't see them being around in a year or two.

arnold-schwarzenegger.png.gif

Are they though? BYD showed high double digit growth in pretty much every category for April.

Source: https://insideevs.com/news/718208/byd-global-plugin-car-sales-april2024/

If I were to bet, I'd bet on doing it outside of California and then releasing cherry-picked statistics, same as they've been doing so far.

PS: There's a poor soul who can only express himself/herself via the same emoji reaction to all my posts. Bless him. 😅
BYD had a good "month". What about the rest of the competitors? The majority of automakers are down in China. What are they doing wrong?

Tesla is not as down as their competitors.

AUTOS

U.S. automakers like GM are rapidly losing ground in China, once an engine for growth​

BYD had a good "month". What about the rest of the competitors? The majority of automakers are down in China. What are they doing wrong?

Tesla is not as down as their competitors.

I mentioned this before. When you're priced for double digit CAGR, you can't really use companies priced 10x cheaper as a yard stick. This is Chinese companies eating everyone else's lunch. Same as Elon predicted.

Last edited:
While it was a good interview, I was not able to find anything of importance as a TSLA Investor. Just to save you time. Please post your important points if you think I am wrong with my conclusion.
:oops:

I must have watched a different video. Most of what Elon said applies to investors as they are mostly humans.
The 'regulations' bit has appeared many times before. I agree. We really need effective end date for a regulation otherwise, you know, can't marry my goat like forever.

:oops:

I must have watched a different video. Most of what Elon said applies to investors as they are mostly humans.
The 'regulations' bit has appeared many times before. I agree. We really need effective end date for a regulation otherwise, you know, can't marry my goat like forever.

What you are saying is this concept of a sunset end date for regulations would be the sort of thing that would really get your 🐏?

:rolleyes: ;)

Fisker, Rivian, Polestar and Lucid are all looking like they are struggling. Can't see them being around in a year or two.

View attachment 1045038

I hope Rivian somehow magically survives and thrives. I would like an R1S if they were to integrate tesla supercharging as seamless as it works with my Model Y.

And to clarify, since they'll need to report disengagements to the DMV, your expectation is that, as soon as they start rollouts with safety drivers, their official disengagement data will be on par with Waymo?
They won't need to report disengagements as long as safety drivers are present. At that point, it is just like an Uber driver today who happens to use FSD.

• Disagree
Reactions: UncaNed

View attachment 1045038
Mainly they didn’t get the early position they needed to survive this EV demand trough… as has been stated before and as we all know starting a car company from scratch historically has low chance of success.
Rivian I still have hopes for. Their products are good, they had done pretty hefty capitalization etc.
Polestar had the advantage of relationship with Volvo, but the initial products were uninspiring and lacked range. The upcoming things are more interesting.
Fisker was the one that always seemed like it was built on sand.
None of them are really set up to build things as well as Tesla is esp in the price ranges of 3 and y…,
And none are headed towards low cost volume produced vehicles.

I didn‘t watch the video but let AI create a summary and I based my post on this summary.
My wife and I agreed wholeheartedly that this comment encapsulates perfectly where the danger to intellect, to society and to humanity itself comes in.

It is one thing to let the latest development in labor - autonomous and animatronic robots - perform heretofore human functions, although there are perils as well as benefits to that.

It is something quite else entirely to cede the function of amassing, digesting and otherwise processing information to an artificial intelligence. Never let that happen to you nor to others.