Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like an odd move considering how many cars are currently in inventory.

They were discounted because they weren't moving.
There are only 4 things we don't know:-
  • What
  • When
  • Why
  • How
Mostly I want to know "Why" because if we know "Why" the big picture might make sense.

I don't mean speculation about "Why" and Elon's motivations, I mean the official pitch.

Is it better to be briefed about major changes well in advance?

I prefer that, but I also understand the benefits of acting ASAP.

Also Tesla has elaborated the sustainability aspect of Robotaxis several times and with the huge reduction in passenger vehicles overall (Privately used poorly utilised) along with the requirements for car parking, this will result in the urban footprint in US cities being transformed.
I'd be curious to see, can you point me to a citation that is written by any civil engineer traffic expert that says TaaS helps with sustainability and/or a Tesla anaysis that was NOT written by cathy " i am a walking fruitcack" woods.

"In 2022, Musk raised $46.5 billion to acquire Twitter, a significant portion of which was obtained through pledging his own stocks. According to Tesla's filings, by the end of March 2023, Musk had pledged 58% of his stocks, totaling 238 million shares worth over $40 billion.During the six months Musk pushed for the Twitter deal, Tesla's stock price peaked at $384 and dropped to as low as $198 — about 22% higher than it is now. If Tesla's stock price continues to plummet, and Musk is unable to make additional payments to the lending institutions, his pledged stocks might be forcibly sold, potentially causing a vicious cycle. "Any such sales could further depress our stock price," stated Tesla's annual report."

Wall Street may finally have him trapped in his collateralized loans for Twitter backed by TSLA shares. If this is true, this may help explain the rapid shift in strategy. It truly is a bet-the-company moment.
I find this theory to be plausible. Musk has many enemies in the industries he is disrupting, in politics, and in those that wish to control speech and thought. Would not be surprised to learn of efforts to push TSLA down to cause him to be forced to sell.

I find this theory to be plausible. Musk has many enemies in the industries he is disrupting, in politics, and in those that wish to control speech and thought. Would not be surprised to learn of efforts to push TSLA down to cause him to be forced to sell.
That's just as outlandish as those saying Elon is tanking the stock.

Tesla's demand is down, the stock is down. There's a concensus that the next growth phase has either been cancelled or shelved, so the stock is down.

Despite AI, forward thinking, etc. The stock has always been more reactive to new automotive products and sales than FSD/energy/AI. The robotaxi concept where people shift from owning cars is a major leap. The pathway to profits with robotaxi is longer and more risky than a car that sells 2+ million per year.

All that said, if Tesla goes all-in on Robotaxi, the stock will really suffer, but if they figure it out and figure out how to deploy it globally, it would turn Tesla into one of, if not the, biggest company in the world. Many investors are scared of that risk..others will go all-in on it.

Now, why would he do that? and yes, I agree, he's the boy who cried FSD, however, I've got about 300+ urban miles w/o **ANY** interventions. 100% of my drives are on FSD as well. Many two lane complex roundabouts w/traffic mitigation, multi-lane UPL, obstructed views and obtuse/oblique intersections. Those that know me *know* I'm trying to break it and have succeeded on just one drive for nearly every build since beta started.

*Caveats are that all my drives are during the day and dry paved lined public roads. And I'm excluding school zones, road closed and hand waving construction workers.

Seems like an odd move considering how many cars are currently in inventory.

They were discounted because they weren't moving.

When you combine this with the recent job cuts....something smells a bit fishy. Almost like they got a look at the preliminary Q1 results and it's not good.

Raising prices = decreasing demand. It would appear, for the time being, they are going to try to increase margins. That's likely to come at the expense of growing volumes.

Just my opinion, we don't have the full picture, more changes could be coming, etc. etc.

TaaS helps with sustainability
The main argument on sustainability is that often private cars spend a high portion of the day parked, a Robotaxi spends more time driving around, so there are claims that a Robotaxi can replace 5-10 private cars, depending on who is doing the numbers.

Even at a replacement rate of 5, a single Robotaxi replaces 5 ICE cars, that is a way to efficiently accelerate the mission.

An additional factor is any additional expense in the form of technology like Single Crystal Cathode batteries is justified for Robotaxis, that means that the battery lasts for more miles, and that high mileage battery can be put to good use.

If the compact 2-seater design for Robotaxis is correct, these more compact vehicles can achieve a higher packing density on roads, and other Tesla vehicles can be used for trips needing a bigger vehicle.

If Boring Company tunnels are built these also take traffic off roads, a compact Robotaxi means that smaller cheaper tunnels can be built.

What Boring Company tunnels can potentially do is reduce trip times, allowing higher fleet utilisation during peak times and a smaller fleet.

Many posters here are trying to find holes in what Tesla and Elon are proposing, before we even know what they are proposing, and why they are proposing it.

I've seen no compelling evidence so far that any pivot toward Robotaxis is a "bet the company" proposition, that prohibits a later change of mind, or prevents multiple parallel initiatives from happening

Last edited:
I quit reading at four inaccuracies...
Mainstream auto bodies are made from aluminum alloy, stamped from fixed molds in a single step,
Nope, multistep and usually steel. Pressed aren't fixed either...

They require laser cutting, bending, and then welding to form the body.
Nope, not welded. But it does have one hit hot pressed interior side panels

Resulting in vehicles with gaps as wide as a finger at joints, even on models received by Marques Brownlee,
Nope, latch bolts weren't torqued properly and the door didn't fully shut

"We dug our own grave with the Cybertruck. It had too many bells and whistles," Musk said during a Q3 earnings call in 2023.
Nope, two different statements and he say didn't "too many"

I'm not assigning fault away from Elon; I agree is was clearly a gamble. They are absolutely taking advantage of his potential miscalculation.
You are assigning blame to WS. WS is not taking advantage of EM. EM made a deal, he's made lots of deals. The deal had conditions. WTF was he thinking I will never know, I assume he wasn't. This is why you have COUNSEL, he has none...on purpose. CT, keeping 4680 staff at 100 (WTF), and Twatter. Current issue is all on EM. X is hiring like crazy because they are rebuilding the same structure that existed before EM took control. So yeah, he bought a functioning un profitable company for far too much. F'd it up so it was no longer functional in the view of the ad folks, killed value and revenues, and now is having to rebuild it all and hope ad folks return.

The main argument on sustainability is that often private cars spend a high portion of the day parked, a Robotaxi spends more time driving around, so there are claims that a Robotaxi can replace 5-10 private cars, depending on who is doing the numbers.

Even at a replacement rate of 5, a single Robotaxi replaces 5 ICE cars, that is a way to efficiently accelerate the mission.

An additional factor is any additional expense in the form of technology like Single Crystal Cathode batteries is justified for Robotaxis, that means that the battery lasts for more miles, and that high mileage battery can be put to good use.

If the compact 2-seater design for Robotaxis is correct, these more compact vehicles can achieve a higher packing density on roads, and other Tesla vehicles can be used for trips needing a bigger vehicle.

If Boring Company tunnels are built these also take traffic off roads, a compact Robotaxi means that smaller cheaper tunnels can be built.

What Boring Company tunnels can potentially do is reduce trip times, allowing higher fleet utilisation during peak times and a smaller fleet.

Many posters here are trying to find holes in what Tesla and Elon are proposing, before we even know what they are proposing, and why they are proposing it.

I've seen no compelling evidence so far that any pivot toward Robotaxis is a "bet the company" proposition, that prohibits out a later change of mind, or prevents multiple parallel initiatives from happening
I get that very very simplistic view of how transportation works except it doesn't. The # of cars moving around in the day is a fraction of that moving at peak hours. You still have to move peak hours people. If RT isn't there to do that they will have cars, if they have a car why in the world wouldn't they use it to run an errand in the middle of the day or go to get a bite. RT will have a giant conundrum.

I get boring company tunnels. Let me know when the first one opens.

I get compact robotaxis...I can see that great for someone traveling from one spot to another that doesn't want company.

EM capped the 4680 team at 100? It was pretty much bet the company, it had to work. I got moderator banned and cautioned an all sorts of flax over 2 years ago because the 4680 cells that had to be there were nowhere close, that the team was tiny, that it was not scaling, etc. Every concern I had was dismissed. Pat myself on the back ...I was right. That was a time to sell. Now we find out what went wrong, they had 100 people to commercialize a new battery technology that Samsung or LG would have put 500 and Catl 1000. Brilliant.

This is much worse IMO. I don't understand battery chemistries, not at the heart of it. I do get smoke than fire. THE ENTIRE RT argument is so smokey I suggest gas masks and thermal blankets.