Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hertz, Tampa Fla pricing on the Model Y, and they have 3's.
I've never seen Pay Now for some nice discounts. New thing? That's a good deal considering fuel savings.

1707685061575.png

Model 3 was more. Huh. Paying for range here?

1707685297333.png

Correct. Although MSM quoted a large number (23,000), that was for all cars. They sold 600 and some (memory says 641) Teslas at that time.
I don't have the article handy, but I read that Hertz is having its largest problem with Polestar cars. They had a 100,000 car contract with Polestar. Hertz has recently asked to be relieved of the remainder of their obligation to purchase. I think when it gets down to it, there are more Polestars for sale which will not be replaced. I believe that the Tesla sales were were sold due to longevity and/or mileage and will be replaced (JMO). BTW, I believe Tesla and Hertz did not have a specific number of cars to be sold under contract.

Last year, Dan O'Downer only paid to run his 'ads' in select markets: Mostly State capitals and D.C. I think he even charged his California Senate campaign for these 'ads'. Shameful abuse, worthy of an IRS audit, IMO.

Correct. Reporting in from DC, he seems to be running a Twitter ad campaign here too. Screenshot with (not yet visible) community note attached:

Screenshot_20240211-164145.png

I've never seen Pay Now for some nice discounts. New thing? That's a good deal considering fuel savings.

Yes, new, the Pay Now comes with a $100(?) penalty if you cancel your rental. In the SoCal you must return the car with SoC within 5% of the value that the car was provided or pay $25(?) charging fee.

Last year, Dan O'Downer only paid to run his 'ads' in select markets: Mostly State capitals and D.C. I think he even charged his California Senate campaign for these 'ads'. Shameful abuse, worthy of an IRS audit, IMO.
Other than ads against big tobacco, I don’t recall such negative commercials against one specific company. How this is done on such a scale should really be considered libel.

This video is well worth watching, especially Larry's thoughts about innovation at Tesla and Apple.

IMO IBM is a more interesting example. The is plenty of R&D and innovation happening at IBM, but very little of that is turning into disruption. Having a mission helps and while it is subtle Apple sort of has a mission.

The extent to which a visionary founder is necessary to drive disruptive innovation is hard to determine, what we know is it most often seems to happen with a visionary founder.

In financial terms disruptive innovation always has the largest payoff in the end, and Larry is right the end can be very slow to arrive, and often a lot of the money can be made after disruptive innovation slows down.

Tesla is a unique experiment in disruptive innovation, breadth, longevity, momentum and mission, that may persist even when Elon is no longer involved. I don't think Steve Jobs built the same size innovation engine at Apple, and at IBM it was last spotted over 50 years ago.

Last edited:
No doubt on this, but I just don't see WS giving them any credit for this till they know the margins and demand. We have no idea what said car will look like and if people will want to buy a 25K sedan/small car. I believe the design for this car was positioned as the Robotaxi car, and as Fraz has said it's not being sold for looks.

The market is currently giving the Cybertruck hardly any consideration in terms of share price. So Its going to be interesting when there is a realization of value on the small car.
Buying a stock when WS is undervaluing something is the best time.

I spent two days trying a bunch of combinations to see the cheapest I could rent, some stuff makes no sense, depending on the day of the week it's cheaper to rent for one day more than return it on the weekend

And always cheaper

Since we are on the topic, anyone that rented one in Europe knows if I need to get any additional insurance? The only options through Hertz was one that covered everything, the catch is that is almost 4x the rental price

Can't wait to drive it

A Robotaxi fleet is a great solution for seasonal demand, rather than discounting vehicles, they can simply be added to the fleet, especially when that is planned in advance and happens around the same time every year.

That also becomes a good time to schedule some holidays for delivery centre staff, with fewer customer deliveries scheduled.

And the decision on fleet additions can be left to late in the quarter, meaning that any discounts/incentives can also be left very late.

It will be a long time before too many Robotaxis is a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOULPEDL
I don't have the article handy, but I read that Hertz is having its largest problem with Polestar cars. They had a 100,000 car contract with Polestar. Hertz has recently asked to be relieved of the remainder of their obligation to purchase. I think when it gets down to it, there are more Polestars for sale which will not be replaced. I believe that the Tesla sales were were sold due to longevity and/or mileage and will be replaced (JMO). BTW, I believe Tesla and Hertz did not have a specific number of cars to be sold under contract.

My nephew recently said that he had reserved an EV to rent from a big rental company, but the company wanted to decide which EV it was. He assumed it would be a Tesla Model 3. I told him to change the reservation asap because chances are it would be a less-desired EV than a Tesla and he would have to work hard to figure out how to charge reliably. Just reserve a Tesla was my advice, the charging would be so much more reliable.

Robotaxi just got grafiti, broken windows, and set on fire. 4 videos of the people doing it and watching it burn.

Edit: this happened Saturday Night, about 20 hours before I posted.

this screenshot isn't even .02% of the content of the videos but should they get pulled it'll be better than nothing

1707709267047.png

from another source

There was a small traffic holdup with waymo at the front of it. Then someone in a white hoodie jumped on the hood of the car and literally WWE styel K/O’d the windshield & broke it.
The crowd was shocked. People started paying attention and gathered around. Nothing happened for another 30 seconds until someone else jumped on the hood.
Then a group of people joined in affirming the behavior w/ positive feedback. Clapping etc.
That was when it went WILD. People with skateboards breaking the glass, and others graffitiing the car.
There were 2 groups of people. Folks who encourage it – and others who were just shocked & started filming. No one stood up – i mean there wasn’t anything you could do to stand up to dozens of people.
This went on for like 5 minutes. By this time, a pretty heavy traffic had built up behind the waymo and other cars started finding alternative alleyways to escape.
Then someone with fireworks initially lit it under the car -nothing happened but it was loud enough to disperse the crow including me who didn’t want to be near it anymore and you can see the 3rd and 4th videos were taken from 1/2 a block away zoomed in.

Last edited:
Robotaxi just got grafiti, broken windows, and set on fire. 4 videos of the people doing it and watching it burn.

this screenshot isn't even .02% of the content of the videos but should they get pulled it'll be better than nothing

View attachment 1017557

Animals, I know this isn’t representative of what a whole country is, but stuff like this makes me question my desire to move to the US one day

And we know people in SF already already pissed with robotaxis, specially with Cruise

This shows how Tesla has to get it right to the point you don’t distinguish from a human

View attachment 1017557

from another source
The cameras on a Tesla would probably gather evidence that the police may be able to use later.

Th next step is a vison AI system that let's a central office know a Robotaxi might be under attack, then that central office would need to inform police.

Haul a few culprits before the courts, and attempt to recover damages, including the cost of any damage done to the Robotaxi...

If a good "early detection" scheme is put in place, it will not be a major problem.