Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes!! This is how a company should communicate.
Like this, they should respond/communicate, loudly, in the same media/method used by the naysayers. And some, in a press release from Tesla et al announcing the libel suit that's being brought against them. All this FUD needs to be fought, including the Washington Post, New York Times, Forbes, and any other media outlet that is writing articles that spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Some may be somewhat factually based but so outdated they're no longer accurate. Or based on the driving records of some potential drivers of Teslas and insinuating that applies to all... I've found the opposite to be true. Or parts that were originally mis designed, yet have since been identified and 90% of the drivers affected were covered via warranty.

All the while Toyota announced a physical recall for over 1 million vehicles because of airbags that may not deploy... far more people will be actually affected by that to-the-shop recall than Tesla's "we'll fix it while you're sleeping" OTA update.

I apologize for preaching to the choir but I've had enough and I'm not going to take it anymore!

(he says sitting in his recliner)

yup count me as one of those "not a pickup truck guy" replacing my aging 8 cylinder 4 Runner used for towing with the CT ... cant wait

really glad i did not go through with a Powerwall for my home last year ... now i get the Powerwall included in CT
You know it doesn't power the house when you're driving to the grocery store (or even work). The extension cord would be a bit too long in most instances.

Problem with that is; posters like artful and unk often add color to the posts here. I’d hate to have to go elsewhere for that commentary.

Just ignore and scroll brotha. Ignore and scroll.
Didn't say cut the posts from here, just copy to threads.

I'll stop now.

Submitted for Posts of Particular Merit.

I honestly think we should set up separate threads (perhaps read only) for both unk45 and Arfful for most of their posts. I always learn something when I read most of them, particularly this one from unk and lodger's excellent Tesla Days of Xmas.

Glad we have so many knowledgeable posters worldwide (!) but specifically these two, both a gift to this forum!
Problem with that is; posters like artful and unk often add color to the posts here. I’d hate to have to go elsewhere for that commentary.

Just ignore and scroll brotha. Ignore and scroll.
I appreciate the sentiments. I agree with @FireMedic too. Speaking only for myself most of the posts I respond to are ones that have provoked reaction and thoughts. The recent one in clarification of VAG is a case in point. when I thought about them, I then thought about the peer group of non-US based non-Chinese largest auto groups. That spawned the overt realization in a visceral way for me that TSLA simply cannot be compared with these entities.

Here at TMC much if the value comes when we, whoever we are, try to understand another poster and attempt to add perspective. Many times those efforts fail, sometimes we all learn more. There are too many of us for me to list who improve my understanding. When one of several correct my mistakes I learn quite suddenly in sometimes embarrassing ways. That fact-checking we do for each other adds to us all.

The stellar job our mods do to sort ‘wheat from chaff’ is too little valued. That is mostly a reflection of a regular tendency we have to pursue irrelevant topics. The value we have to each other would improve were those irrelevant social chitchat to be reserved for off-topic threads.

Not sure why anyone would quote her regarding Tesla. Her sp estimates have not been even remotely correct in years. Whole lot of sparkle about what could be but nothing translated into higher sp's.
quote who? Cathie?

She was the first and only one to predict the chairs for 4K a pop in 2019 or so. The price was like 200-400 then. Don't remember exactly.

quote who? Cathie?

She was the first and only one to predict the chairs for 4K a pop in 2019 or so. The price was like 200-400 then. Don't remember exactly.
In 2019 I was telling people on another investing forum (T-Nation) not to buy ARK because they are selling Tesla. They have always talked up Tesla while selling at the same time.

I'm curious-who else thinks Tesla might just spin a SUV out of the CT? Watching the fabrication of the body panels, and seeing that it really was as simple as laser cut panels and a press break, spinning the new exterior panels could be done at a minimal cost of tooling. Full size SUVs are still popular for a great many people (especially those with families and dogs! The lack of a pass through or removable mid-gate is disappointing on CT for that reason). Seems like it would be a natural evolution, just as the Tahoe and Suburban were for GM and the Excursion/Expedition were for Ford.

Day 11: Eleven Pipers Piping | FSD Or Bust​

Part of 12 Days of Christmas - Tesla Edition a series (c) by the Artful Dodger, Dec 2023

Over this Yuletide season, I will post a daily installment focusing on Tesla products, past, present, and future (please note that I will express major themes as short-hand bullet points as I roll tide. Here's the series so far:

Day 01: A Partridge in a Pear Tree | Roadster Proof of Concept
Day 02: 2 Turtle Doves | S/X Fraternal Twins go Mainstream
Day 03: 3 French Hens | Model 3 Bets the Company
Day 04: 4 Calling Birds | Model Y Built at Four Factories
Day 05: Five Golden Rings | Semi Breaks Physiks
Day 06: Six geese a-laying | Megapack To Excel
Day 07: Seven Swans a-Swimming | Cybertourdeforce
Day 08: Eight Maids A-Milking | Model 2 World Car
Day 09: Nine Ladies Dancing | Dojo as a Service[/HEADING]
Day 10: Ten Lords A-Leaping | Teslabot FTW

Intro to Part 11: Eleven Pipers Piping | FSD Or Bust

Back in Oct 2016, Tesla parted ways with its 'driver-assist' vendor, MobilEye. Some of the reason was their unwillingnes to give Tesla access to their code, but also because Elon was convinced Tesla could do ADAS better and faster in-house. The FSD computer project was started around this time, with Tesla designing its own custom silicon optimized as an AI inference computer (with low-power draw and over 20x the compute provided by the MobilEye chip). Would this be enough? Well, only one way to find out: enter FSD beta.

1. Creeping Scope, Hidden Dragons

• The core problem with writing software to drive a car is that people don't think about how they actually drive, they just do it intuitively. That's also why dads are lousy driver instructors because they can't articulate verbally (forebrain) what is esentially a hindbrain function (how do you catch a fly ball, dad? Well, lets go practice, little Timmy...)
  • Meet Elon Musk, the boy who never met a problem he couldn't solve. Elon is naturally optimistic, so he approached this problem in his usual way, that is to specify the minimum viable system that might work, build that, and see how well it performs
  • Turns out, early progress was quick (aided by some 1st-principles avoidance of dead-ends like LIDAR), but soon enough a series of 'local maxima' appeared along the road to autonomy, and lengthy rewrites were the only way to continue making measurable progress in self-driving skill
  • This methodology lead us to FSD beta v11.x the current wide-spread branch of this effort, which is statistically safer than average U.S. drivers, but lacks certain human-like traits in terms of smoothness and planning ahead
  • the current architecture is somewhat like having a troop of Jr. Woodchucks operating your car; one working the pedals, another steering, a 3rd one watching for stuff crossing in front of the car (No. 4 randomly triggers those wipers...) But all these kids don't neccessarily talk to each other to reach a group concensus before yanking on that wheel or jamming on those brakes: Adult supervision is still required!
  • FSD beta v12 holds the potential to finally get past all these hand-written heuristics and compound Neural Nets (NN). The new architectue is to create an end-to-end NN which in takes photons from sensors and outputs control commands to the car. So, instead of woriking like a virtual knot-hole gang of raucous 11 yr olds, I hope that v12 debuts more like a 16-yr old only-child
Lesson 1: Make it So, Number 1

2. Slaying the Beast

• Tesla is following the modern trend in computing science as expressed in Moore's Law: CPU cycles are cheap!
  • For example, Tesla has replaced 2,000 human labelers with a single program called "Auto-labeler", which annotates video data (3D object recognition) coming from the fleet, and prepares it for use in the NN training stage
  • Eventually, most human-written code will be in the data centre, primarily focused on managing workflow and automating the creation of NN deliverables. Tesla already has a small, highly productive Autopilot team, now they are adding massive amounts of more training compute
  • Most importantly, Management will not give up on the dream of autonomy. Its central to the future value of Tesla, and will fundamentally change the way people purchase transportation in the future. The implication for 'dumb' ICE cars is stark, even the total fleet size will change as a result of autonomy.
Lesson 2: It's always harder than you thought (until it becomes automatic)

3. How Good is Good Enough?

• Eventually, even v12 and its siblings will reach a point of dimishing returns, where large amounts of extra work produce diminishing improvements
  • ideally, this point is reached long after FSD is already multiple times safer than human drivers, though there will always be finger pointing at individual incidents even though safety is increased as a whole
  • finally, it comes down to the cognitive style: Inductive reasoning ie: learn from example vs Deductive reasoning - applying a set of general principles
  • Governments will always want to write laws and have the police interpret and enforce them. This is a classic application of deductive reasoning abilities, which may not be achievable before the advent of AGI
  • But Tesla FSD doesn't have to enforce the laws, only abide by them. An experienced Driving Instructor would be a good hire for the AP team
  • Tesla FSD will never be accident free (you can't control other cars), but this style of NN learning-by-example from copious amounts of data will make FSD the best that's possible with this approach
  • BTW this is how most humans learned to drive. People hold valid drivers licences but didn't pass the Turing Test (or a touring test). FSD in its current form has the potential to become much better than the average driver, w/o needing to be Einstein
Lesson 3: Run What Ya Brung

Conclusion:​

The FSD development project has been a long and winding road, full of washed-out bridges and dangerous curves. Still, it the skill and determination of the Tesla AP team, coupled with steadfast backing from Tesla Management / Governance, which will see them though to ultimate success. To paraphase JFK, 'We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they'd be easy...' Well we know better now, but we're not bitter. Forward! Excelsior!

Next up: Coming Soon to Your Town: Robotaxi - Void where Prohibited

Tomorrow's Topic:

Day 12: Twelve Drummers Drumming | Robotaxi at Last​

Foundation series dual motor cybertruck ordered for delivery Jan to March in FL!!

The current Forbes FUD article blathering about 4680 battery production "choke" is bogus as Gordon from limiting factor points out. They are ramping from only one line to 8 which Forbes conveniently leaves out.

Production is likely to surprise on the upside IMO

Ps justifying the premium to also get V2G for my Tesla solar glass tile roof purchased without battery with this hope that cybertruck can serve as my mega backup battery 😀

Is there a newer version of control arm than J?
Correct. J is the newer revision. Tesla believes this revision fixes this issue, but as a precaution, you could ask Tesla service to use windshield adhesive like they have done before with older revisions. The pictures I posted weren't mine I copied them from another post. I should have made that clearer, sorry. Post in thread 'Upper Control Arm Sealing DIY?' Upper Control Arm Sealing DIY?

Last edited:
Rush wrote a song about that! Well not really, but gonna post it anyway because I love Rush and you're a Canuck!

Another poster with refined taste! Too bad Neil isn't around any longer to do a song about CT, like he did with a certain Italian sports car.

ETA-I suppose CT could be considered a "gleaming alloy air car".....

Last edited:
Foundation series dual motor cybertruck ordered for delivery Jan to March in FL!!

The current Forbes FUD article blathering about 4680 battery production "choke" is bogus as Gordon from limiting factor points out. They are ramping from only one line to 8 which Forbes conveniently leaves out.

Ps justifying the premium to also get V2G for my Tesla solar glass tile roof purchased without battery with this hope that cybertruck can serve as my mega backup battery 😀
Congratulations!
FYI, per Lars on the Leno video, Cybertruck Powershare is only V2H, not V2G. However, you will be able to leverage Charge on Solar.

It is worth revisiting what was said about 4680 production last earnings call:-

Sure thing, Martin. 4680 cell production in Texas increased 40% quarter over quarter. Congrats to the Texas team for producing their 20 millionth cell off of line one. Texas is now our primary 4680 facility.

We're heavily focused on quality. Scrap is down 40% quarter over quarter. With the increased volume and yield improvements, cell costs consistently improved month over month within the quarter, although we have a lot more work to do to achieve our steady-state goals. And that is our priority.
Cybertruck cells to simplify and focus the factory as we ramp all four lines in Phase 1 over the next three quarters. Phase 2 of the Texas 4680 facility is currently under construction. The additional four lines incorporate further capital efficiencies over Phase 1, and our target is for them to start producing in late 2024.

We will get an update on 4680s next earnings call, 3 months is plenty of time for further progress to be have been made..