Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(By the way, I like the train system in Paris and I had only a bike for transportation most of my adult life thus far.)

Here’s a good summary:
The train/subway system in Paris runs on tires rather than steel wheels, so they are quiet and require only one drive carriage per car rather than two. They can also go up an 8% grade rather than 4% (or is it 2%?) so cheaper to construct and run. It's no wonder you liked them (I liked the ones in Montreal too). The problem with tired carriages is there can't be ice or snow, so above ground is out of the question for most cities. And the Boring tunnel approach is still far less expensive, plus all the other attributes you mentioned.

Posted on X

Screenshot_20230904_174028_X.jpg

I haven't seen the source of that number, yet

A great long-form tweet (er... X) from Farzad. Great read.

Way too much spilled digital ink regarding the S/X price drops over the last few days. The S/X are almost irrelevant, making up just ~5% at best of 2023 tesla auto shipments, and much less in the years ahead.

Quite a bit of moaning amongst the twitter/youtube TSLA-influencers that tesla overshadowed the launch of the Highland model 3, and instead most media (in the USA presumably they are referring) being negative headlines about the S/X price cuts. Free advertising that your vehicles are cheaper is not too shabby.

However I think most of these takes are missing the obvious negative about the Highland launch: It is not available in the USA!

If Tesla didn’t have the S/X price cuts, you could probably be sure that all the headlines instead would have been the much more negative takes of “Tesla Launches the all new Model 3 - but not for Americans!”.

No idea if it is intentional or not, but timing the massive S/X price cut with the international launch of Highland was sort of fortuitous in masking the big negative that Highland is so far non-existent in the USA.

If Tesla didn’t have the S/X price cuts, you could probably be sure that all the headlines instead would have been the much more negative takes of “Tesla Launches the all new Model 3 - but not for Americans!”.
Tesla has a lot of ducks to line up, they decide the highest priority ducks at any point in time.

Being laser focused on one duck at one point in time can miss the big picture.

RHD countries still can't order Model S/X,, it is too late in the quarter to make / ship cars now. But if this is important, Tesla will do something about it.

Model 3 Highland isn't currently available in North America, but there has to be a reason why it isn't available., We know it is eventually coming we don't know when.,

The performance of the company over the long term is more important than any particular quarter. High interest rates will not be around forever, Tesla still has many new products, product improvements, cost savings, and R&D breakthroughs in the pipeline.

Patience is a virtue.

Moderators: If this is too political, I will understand your removing it. But it is something that could directly affect Tesla car sales and its stock price.
Newsweek - this evening:
Trump Issues a Warning to United Auto Workers President on Electric Cars
TL;DR - Breaking News: Former US President expresses opinions about EVs that are consistent with all of his previous statements on this topic. This person is currently the front runner for challenging the incumbent in the 2024 election and if he wins then he might try to cancel major EV-related legislation that everyone else in his party in Congress voted against last year. He has issued dire warnings of job losses and economic catastrophe in Michigan, a key swing state that he lost by 2.8% margin in the 2020 election, if the incumbent stays in office for a second term and maintains these pro-EV policies. News at 11.

Saved you a click

Last edited:
A fundamental aspect of male biology is competing for female attention with ostentatious displays to signal genetic fitness, like how male peacocks 🦚 walk around with large, impractical tail plumage that serves no other purpose other than showing off. Similarly, in human males, driving large diesel trucks is a common way to signal mating suitability to females. Wasting money on fuel and maintenance signals that one has spare resources in the first place, which could be used for supporting offspring, and inhaling fumes straight from the exhaust pipe is a way to demonstrate an ability to disrupt immune and endocrine function without falling sick with infections and without major decline in circulating testosterone levels. Additionally, loud, growling engine snarls and billowing clouds of dark smoke serve to intimidate other males and thus help establish control over territory and one’s position within intrasex male dominance hierarchies. This is why EVs are purchased only by women, gender nonbinary people and androgynous men, and it might be a limiting factor in the long-term transition to sustainable transport. I do not know how we will solve this.

Last edited:
A fundamental aspect of male biology is competing for female attention with ostentatious displays to signal genetic fitness, like how male peacocks 🦚 walk around with large, impractical tail plumage that serves no other purpose other than showing off. Similarly, in human males, driving large diesel trucks is a common way to signal to mating suitability to females. Wasting money on fuel and maintenance signals that one has spare resources in the first place, which could be used for supporting offspring, and inhaling diesel smoke straight from the exhaust pipe is a way to demonstrate an ability to disrupt immune and endocrine function without falling sick with infections and without major decline in circulating testosterone levels. Additionally, loud, growling engine snarls serve to intimidate other males and thus help establish control over territory and one’s position within intrasex male dominance hierarchies. This is why EVs are purchased only by women, gender nonbinary people and androgynous men, and it might be a limiting factor in the long-term transition to sustainable transport. I do not know how we will solve this.

You don't know how proud I am that you wrote this.

Notice that is a study by some professor in Texas. Perhaps most people participated in the study are Texans?
I was in Houston last week and did not see many Tesla there. Probably because gas is still very cheap there?

Also, this study contradicts to this:

"In the first half of 2021, less than 30 percent of electric vehicles were purchased by women. However, a separate 2022 survey found that 47 percent of women say that in the next five years they’d be interested in purchasing one, compared with 53 percent of men."

Last edited:
A fundamental aspect of male biology is competing for female attention with ostentatious displays to signal genetic fitness, like how male peacocks 🦚 walk around with large, impractical tail plumage that serves no other purpose other than showing off. Similarly, in human males, driving large diesel trucks is a common way to signal mating suitability to females. Wasting money on fuel and maintenance signals that one has spare resources in the first place, which could be used for supporting offspring, and inhaling fumes straight from the exhaust pipe is a way to demonstrate an ability to disrupt immune and endocrine function without falling sick with infections and without major decline in circulating testosterone levels. Additionally, loud, growling engine snarls and billowing clouds of dark smoke serve to intimidate other males and thus help establish control over territory and one’s position within intrasex male dominance hierarchies. This is why EVs are purchased only by women, gender nonbinary people and androgynous men, and it might be a limiting factor in the long-term transition to sustainable transport. I do not know how we will solve this.
Wasted effort. You should have waited until I pointed out that The Project is a garbage 🇦🇺 “current affairs” show that nobody watches. 😂