Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Threads of the day:
Artificial Intelligence Karpathy move
SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink Making $
Elon & Twitter Long form tweets, anti/pro Elon drama
@Buckminster , thank you for bringing my attention to the interesting stuff going on on those other threads.

I saw a few folks there I haven't seen before, plus the same old trolls I have on ignore. I like the Ignore option. It feels good to ignore the destructive trolls; however, there are others who, in my humble opinion, resemble toddlers rattling on pointlessly whom it hurts a bit to ignore because they comment sincerely (but a bit too often) but aren't really adding to the conversation. Yet the likes of @Artful Dodger frequently reply to the latter folks, addressing and correcting them with the infinite, awe-inspiring patience of the kind of amazing parent I could never imagine being, though I'm happily (ecstatically so, actually) childless).

I'm sure nobody here has me on Ignore because they think I do the latter...

Right?
Right?
Right??

Elon's 2018 CEO Plan is 304 million shares, so 'only' $608 billion pretax @ $2k a share (excluding the exercise price of $23.33 per share).
Sorry I think there was a misunderstanding in my post.

I didn't mean we needed someone to buy all of Elon's shares. I meant a $4 billion share dump is hard to recover from because there aren't enough hedge funds, pension funds, sovereign funds and retail investors out there to buy the shares (not enough liquid cash).

To get to $2000 a share the company will be worth $6 trillion. To be worth that much money you need people to actually put in that much money. Where exactly does this 6 trillion come from if we can't even find enough people with 4 billion right now?

And no we haven't actually recovered from Elons selling under $200 yet. The Nasdaq is 5% Higher than December 1 and TSLA is 3% higher than December 1. I'm just saying be realistic, TSLA will not be worth 6 trillion in 2-3 years. That is a fairy tale.

10x from here in two years may be unlikely but in 2030, a market cap in the ballpark of AAPL + MSFT at that time would be more than adequate at 20M vehicles per year (plus energy and AI business). Sure, if Elon then sells his entire stake to fund his mansion on Mars, over a short period of time, at the market, that would make the Twitter dip look like a blip on the radar. But that's entirely separate from the fundamental valuation of the company.

4 trillion in 7 years while selling 20 mil cars + FSD. Maybe, if FSD is truly working then definetly. It's a hell of a lot more believable than 6 trillion in 2 while selling 2.6 million cars lol.

Extremely tight action with imminent bollinger breakout on 120 minute chart presaging markedly higher prices
(Personally, I wouldn’t worry too much about it since TA is totally useless, like reading tea leaves. In fact, feel free to short the sucker if feeling lucky)
7FA95751-B4A7-488B-97C3-EBAEFD76A25F.png

Sorry I think there was a misunderstanding in my post.

I didn't mean we needed someone to buy all of Elon's shares. I meant a $4 billion share dump is hard to recover from because there aren't enough hedge funds, pension funds, sovereign funds and retail investors out there to buy the shares (not enough liquid cash).

To get to $2000 a share the company will be worth $6 trillion. To be worth that much money you need people to actually put in that much money. Where exactly does this 6 trillion come from if we can't even find enough people with 4 billion right now?

And no we haven't actually recovered from Elons selling under $200 yet. The Nasdaq is 5% Higher than December 1 and TSLA is 3% higher than December 1. I'm just saying be realistic, TSLA will not be worth 6 trillion in 2-3 years. That is a fairy tale.

4 trillion in 7 years while selling 20 mil cars + FSD. Maybe, if FSD is truly working then definetly. It's a hell of a lot more believable than 6 trillion in 2 while selling 2.6 million cars lol.
Ah.
You don't need to (re)sell all 3 Billion shares at $2,000 for Tesla to hit $3T, only the most recent one...
Elon's comp plan expires early 2028, just under 5 years out.

My recently bought and soon to be delivered Model 3 is a 2023 model on all the papers from Tesla.

So thousands of 2023 Model 3 is already sold and delivered this year.

Mea culpa!

Checked my papers again. No model year on any papers directly from Tesla. But on financing and insurance.

The EU pushed back at the IRA and there has most definitely been news about them formulating their own response that’s protectionist for their companies and ability to attract investment
The IRA tax credit rules aren't about protecting companies. They're about protecting jobs and the economy.
There's no condition on ownership, just location.

You'll see plenty of Chinese companies build processing and factories in Mexico, other countries with free trade agreements with the USA, and maybe even the USA.

I'd suggest that it's quite well structured deliberately to reduce dependency on China, support allies and also acts as a trap that Republicans will have a problem disarming. Instead if Republicans don't want EVs they'll have to try to remove CARB's exemption and destroy ZEV, and put in place measures to discourage EV purchases such as large fixed annual fees.

Last edited:
Extremely tight action with imminent bollinger breakout on 120 minute chart presaging markedly higher prices
(Personally, I wouldn’t worry too much about it since TA is totally useless, like reading tea leaves. In fact, feel free to short the sucker if feeling lucky)View attachment 905017
Chamath on a recent podcast was talking about how the majority of the market is run by computers that seeks out market trend indicators. The human spends their time trying to front run the computers. He said from some of the feed back he have been hearing from fund managers, many are upset that they failed to front run the computers and now must buy in at a higher price as lots of them are sitting on cash waiting for that bottom. Many were expecting s&p 3200 to be the bottom but it didn't happen.

So the reason why TA is not as tea leaf reading as many say it is because the computers follows this tea leaf.

The IRA tax credit rules aren't about protecting companies. They're about protecting jobs and the economy.
There's no condition on ownership, just location.

You'll see plenty of Chinese companies build processing and factories in Mexico, other countries with free trade agreements with the USA, and maybe even the USA.

I'd suggest that it's quite well structured deliberately to reduce dependency on China, support allies and also acts as a trap that Republicans will have a problem disarming. Instead if Republicans don't want EVs they'll have to try to remove CARB's exemption and destroy ZEV, and put in place measures to discourage EV purchases such as large fixed annual fees.
The IRA is a lot more than just the EV tax credits and the EU response will be a lot more -- the EU had already lodged complaints about the IRA violating international trade rules. North America wants to attract investment and Europe wants to attract investment, it wasn't long ago that we saw reports of Tesla pulling battery production priority out of Germany and towards the US to grab tax incentives.

I doubt anyone needs to be told about the obvious bias here in companies that originate from each region. Of course if companies founded in other countries want to invest further in these other regions, that's kinda most of the point, but the bias exists and it'll be on the foreign companies to invest sufficiently to overcome that and the countries in question will benefit from that foreign investment.

And together, North America and the EU can hopefully eventually get this supply chain out of China/North Korea/Russia/Iran.

Next question is what happens with South Korea and the Hyundai/Kia/Genesis group

Chamath on a recent podcast was talking about how the majority of the market is run by computers that seeks out market trend indicators. The human spends their time trying to front run the computers. He said from some of the feed back he have been hearing from fund managers, many are upset that they failed to front run the computers and now must buy in at a higher price as lots of them are sitting on cash waiting for that bottom. Many were expecting s&p 3200 to be the bottom but it didn't happen.

So the reason why TA is not as tea leaf reading as many say it is because the computers follows this tea leaf.
TA is exactly like an EKG. No more and no less. To an uninformed eye, EKG is nothing more than bunch of squiggly lines not worth the paper it’s printed on. To Cardiologist, EKG is incredibly useful tool.
Those who believe that TA is rubbish are exactly right- for them TA holds zero value.
For someone like me who has spent every single day of my life for last 25 years reading stock charts, it’s an entirely different experience
Whatever works. Singular goal is to make money in stock market which is a zero sum game. If astrology works, I’d become astrologer in a heart beat

Cha math by the way is not the most reliable fellow - informed buyer beware

(I’ll beat that guy in due course of time at this game)