Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But IIRC, that "double height" sections weren't the entire footprint of the pack, right? i thought there were "humps" under the seats (effectively eliminating the seat brackets in those locations), and single height in the footwell areas.

So not 2X the number of cells, but maybe more like 1.5X?

(replying to myself)

This is the pic I was thinking of, from this thread a few years ago:

roadsterfloor-png.261606
Look at the distance between the bottom of the vehicle and the footwell, if his heel is on the floor there is room for a double stacked layer.

Reactions: Olle and scaesare
Tesla getting >100% Margin on batteries is on the horizon thanks to the IRA subsidies. Connecting the Dots provides the details.

TL;DW is that historical Wright’s Law trend for LFP battery cells and extrapolate another 4 to 6 years based on expected growth of production volume, then the cost of an LFP cell would be less than $45/kWh which is the free amount from the US clean energy subsidy.

Interesting thread about Tesla warranty reserves. In summary, Tesla is best in class

We should all understand that warranty reserves are actuarially derived in general. When a new product is introduced the warranty reserves must invariably be higher than if the product has had years fo experience. This process also applies to Lease and loan securitizations, which use over-collaterization to compensate for lack of experience.

Warranty Week publishes warranty reserve calculations for nearly all public data available.
Their data, as has been posted here several times, shows that even in the beginning which had numerous teething issues with Model S and X, the warranty reserves were consistently well above actual expenses. That data even included the titanium battery shielding of the first Model S, repeated common replacement of motors and batteries, plus problems with screens and other systems.

As experience has grown and actual warranty expenses have remained well below reserves Tesla has maintained highly conservative warranty reserves. That is wise, in part because of rapid evolution, changes in supply chains, adoption of new battery technology, manufacturing and so on.

The only major diversions of the downward trend in warranty claims related to the infamous 90 battery on S and X, and the falcon wing door. Those events did NOT alter the downward warranty expense trends.

The other fundamental elements in warranty expense that the actuarial estimates did not consider were all related to the Tesla business model:
First, traditional OEM highest warranty expenses are for dealer diagnosis;
For Tesla this category is nearly zero since OTA vehicle monitoring mostly simplifies or eliminates service center diagnosis, which anyway has no profit margin when it does happen.
Second, traditional OEM second highest warranty expense is dealer repair;
For Tesla, most 'repairs' are OTA updates, others are by mobile servicing, and there is no dealer profit margin
Third, traditional third highest warranty expense is recalls, mostly dealer expense.
For Tesla most recalls are OTA, others are mobile service and the Service Center is at cost.

Just to repeat, the actuaries are generally ignoring the business model effects.

From my own work with three OEMs warranty reserving and management I am acutely aware that OEM's have intense pressure from dealers to increase warranty revenues and also to increase required maintenance. The latter point is exemplified by a Hyundai required coolant change for battery pack. There are numerous other examples. That pressure is acute because warranty service is often the second highest income category for a dealer, following "Finance
and Insurance".
The net effect of all that is that Tesla is not only best in class for Warranty reserving but also on warranty expense and maintenance expense.

Much of the data is easily found in Warranty Week. For anyone who is interested that is an excellent source. What they generally do not emphasize are the business model issues, partly because they cover all industries and partly because they are typically not presenting much about causality unless there is something especially notable and notorious.

We need to keep a running track of the sensationalist hype BS this man has said over the years.

Just from what I have saved, this is the same dude who once predicted 540k+ deliveries in 4Q21 alone w/ASP @ $108k+. Also predicted $16.6bn GAAP Earnings for FY21. You have 0 credibility. Denied China demand weakness last year. overshot both on deliveries and eps this past quarter.

Sure he spits out a lot of pretty charts, but his forecasting is borderline embarrassing that makes TSLAQ folks look right on things. But because he’s a bull people so easily gloss over his irresponsible overshooting all the time.

Tesla, great company. Too bad so many weirdos piggyback on it for their own personal clout from Warren to Prophet Sarajh to Stephenson and SMR.
While he has said a lot of wrong stuff in the past, this is still an ad hominem argument you’re presenting. Each claim should be evaluated irrespective of who made it. In this video the author is extrapolating LFP cost trends into the late 2020s and assuming that the $45/kWh subsidy will remain. If you disagree with either of those premises then explain why. (Edit: as @kbM3 did in a post below)

Last edited:
Please explain this.
Partly because of their suburban Detroit area location, they have a general view that very large SUV and pickup trucks are the most lucrative markets, because they are, for most of the US and Canada suburban and rural markets. Because of that they miss the rest of the world where the largest sellers are much smaller vehicles. They are not wrong, in their own market.

Wright's Law seems to be charting accurately so far. Do you think that the trend will change and that costs will not continue to drop at this rate as production increases?

Perhaps you feel the doubling of production will not maintain this rate of growth over each two-year span for the next several years?

What, specifically, is it that you found in the presentation to be problematic?

As for the charts, I don't believe they were his.

Granted, the congress-critters could gut the IRA before Wright's Law sees the prices drop to a level that would support the thesis.
1. Wright’s Law is based on a CUMULATIVE increase. Not an increase in annual production.
2. He originally tweeted > 100% gross margins for Megapacks. Then backpedaled to cells.
3. The credits would NEVER remain in place after cell production decreased below that amount.
4. Wouldn‘t tax credits get accounted for as revenue and not under COGS reduction? If so, then the whole negative cost claim goes out the window.

Look at the distance between the bottom of the vehicle and the footwell, if his heel is on the floor there is room for a double stacked layer.
I believe the consensus from that thread was that his foot was lifted in the process of getting out of the car, (and it appears that way to me too) and that the unusual door-sill profile was that of the floor profile. So, it appears there are higher floor heights under the seats, implying stacked battery modules there.

On edit: Agree with @2daMoon

Trying to understand the trading volume of late. Trading 200M shares on a given day has become fairly common of late. According to a source:

Tesla has a total of 3.01bn shares outstanding, according to data from Nasdaq. Who are the stakeholders of Tesla?

Institutional investors accounted for the largest block of shares at around 1.36 billion, or 43.01%, as of 5 December, according to WallStreetZen. Retail investors accounted for 41.9% of stock ownership, totalling 1.32bn shares, up from a 39.8% share earlier this year. Company executives held 15.09% of the stock, or 476.4 million shares

So, I don’t think those insider shares are contributing to the 200M volume. ALL retail investors amounts to 15% of the 200M. It also amounts to 15% of the 200M for ALL institutional investors. Any theories of how much of a 200M day is retail vs institutional? The 200M volume seems inexplicable to me.

edited for clarity.
Aren't most trades just bots trading the same shares back and forth with each other? (plus the virtual shares that are created by the MMs)

I don't think he downplayed the desirability of a smaller car, he said that he didn't think Tesla should go after that market. (Just like a lot of us have said, Tesla should go with the larger higher profit vehicles first, and then if nobody has filled the need for the smaller vehicle come back and build smaller vehicles later.)
Smaller is not equal to less profitable. Nearly all of us forget about Gigacasting, for example, which can do a smaller car with a single cast, and so much more. Until Tesla the piece count regardless of size tended to not vary with size so much as it will with Tesla technology. Remember the long ago promised 'designed in China' vehicle?

For some strange reason some us have problems understanding how Tesla approaches problems.

Trying to understand the trading volume of late. Trading 200M shares on a given day has become fairly common of late. According to a source:

Tesla has a total of 3.01bn shares outstanding, according to data from Nasdaq. Who are the stakeholders of Tesla?

Institutional investors accounted for the largest block of shares at around 1.36 billion, or 43.01%, as of 5 December, according to WallStreetZen. Retail investors accounted for 41.9% of stock ownership, totalling 1.32bn shares, up from a 39.8% share earlier this year. Company executives held 15.09% of the stock, or 476.4 million shares

So, I don’t think those insider shares are contributing to the 200M volume. ALL retail investors amounts to 15% of the 200M. It also amounts to 15% of the 200M for ALL institutional investors. Any theories of how much of a 200M day is retail vs institutional? The 200M volume seems inexplicable to me.

edited for clarity.

MMs are delta heding as traders have broken though a lot of the previous call walls.

Not "everything." The whining by the Yuppies wanting the Tailgate brake light bar is not "First Principles. I have no clue why Elon didn't recognise it except he has probably been in a cyber(nota)truck more than a regular man's work truck. Having that light across the back because it looks cool is not cool. Normal people often hang stuff over the tailgate that don't fit in the bed, like kayaks. And that bar is going to be a liability.
EDIT: If not a liability a limitation.
(Edit: nicer version)
I would add safety to the list of things all things functional with CyberTruck. Lights on a tailgate up high seems pretty safe considering the options. Perhaps those taillights can also be seen when the tailgate is down - maybe necessary? (Is driving with gate down allowed?)

Reactions: CarlS
The 200M volume seems inexplicable to me.

Yes, it's fake, mostly HF trading by 'bots. Are you aware that MMs don't even have to pay the full SEC stock-sale fee that Retail investors are charged? Yeah, they get a bulk-rate on the SEC fees, and maybe even some flat fee.

It's not discussed, but that's how HF trading becomes profitable. When they're making only pennies per share on a trade, the fee that SEC takes from Retail investors would kill the volume quickly. But some pigs are more equal... :p

Wall St. pigs are more equal.jpg

U.S. government is not investigating Elon Musk’s Twitter purchase

Musk’s purchase of the site had drawn scrutiny after reports that the deal provided special privileges to large foreign investors, including a Saudi prince’s holding company and a cryptocurrency exchange founded in China. But at least for now, U.S. officials on the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) do not believe they have jurisdiction to formally probe the deal, according to the two people who were briefed on the committee’s decision and spoke on the condition of anonymity to reflect internal government deliberations.

Not "everything." The whining by the Yuppies wanting the Tailgate brake light bar is not "First Principles. I have no clue why Elon didn't recognise it except he has probably been in a cyber(nota)truck more than a regular man's work truck. Having that light across the back because it looks cool is not cool. Normal people often hang stuff over the tailgate that don't fit in the bed, like kayaks. And that bar is going to be a liability.
EDIT: If not a liability a limitation.
Federal requirement are the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp must be within 3 inches of the lower edge of the rear glazing (non convertible) and 34 inches or higher off the ground. Size requirement is 2,903 mm^2 (5.5 sq inches).
Tailgate positioning would be less often blocked by cargo vs standard cab mounted options.

However, the recent photos have a couple issues:
If mounted to the tailgate, it is not visible with the gate down.
High mounted stop lamps cannot be combined with anything other than cargo lights, and not optically combined with cargo lights. So CHMSL as part of full width light bar is not compliant.
Additional issues, in general, is that the CHMSL needs 45 degree horizontal visibility, which the sails may interfere with. Vault lid prevents use of rear window interior mounting.

One route to compliance is to mount it at the top of the rear structure where the vault cover tucks under.

Perhaps those taillights can also be seen when the tailgate is down - maybe necessary? (Is driving with gate down allowed?)
Driving with tailgate down is most definitely allowed, that's how trucks with less than 8 foot beds remain useful. Many trucks allows the removal of the gate.

As seen in other images, the tail/ brake lights are duplicated on the rear frame so that a set is visible with the gate down.