Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My thought with regard to a compact model is that Tesla will want to compress the timing between announcement and launch as much as possible, since a compact model has a good chance of cutting into Model 3 sales at announcement.
I think that they may want the refreshed Model 3 Highland shipping soon after the compact reveal. There may be multiple models and the initial reveal may be the one least like a Model 3.

There is absolutely nothing even the remotest bit funny in what you showed. Without knowing anything about Ross Gerber other than what some of you have mentioned from time to time, for a person of Mr Musk's stature thus to misuse his intellect, his experience and his abilities, all the more so after having been gifted hundreds of billions of dollars worth of shares by TSLA investors - words fail even me. How many times has this community known me to be at a loss for words?
I know you are angry, and I am not pushing back on that, but do you really believe this:

"all the more so after having been gifted hundreds of billions of dollars worth of shares by TSLA investors"

Definitely reminiscent of watching a car crash happen.
1671570137425.png

This is a nonsense response from Elon - completely ignoring the much larger fall in TSLA vs other big cap & the SPY
How did Tesla perform compared to other big cap & the SPY since the pandemic hit in early 2020?

Apple stock is up 62% since the middle of February 2020, Tesla stock is up almost 130% in the same timeframe.

The SPY is up 13% in the same timeframe.

This is a nonsense response from Elon - completely ignoring the much larger fall in TSLA vs other big cap & the SPY
It's kinda shocking to see no self awareness from him 🤷‍♂️

I repeat my post again, Elon may find himself ousted as CEO in short time. I get the board is handpicked from Elon but between the amount of shares Elon has sold over the past year combined with the amount of volume all of Dec, there's a definite possibility that enough shares have been accumulated by those that want change and thus, Elon being done as Tesla CEO

How did Tesla perform compared to other big cap & the SPY since the pandemic hit in early 2020?

Apple stock is up 62% since the middle of February 2020, Tesla stock is up almost 130% in the same timeframe.

The SPY is up 13% in the same timeframe.
Not sure how that has any relevance to Elon’s bogus argument for why TSLA has fallen so much in the current rout.

Not sure how that has any relevance to Elons argument for why TSLA has fallen so much in the current rout.
Because TSLA shot up higher during the period of Quantitative Easing and money printing. Apple and the SPY shot up less, so they would presumably have a shorter distance to fall.

Even after all this, TSLA is still greatly outperforming Apple and the SPY since this began if you use the start of the pandemic as a milestone for when markets went ham.

We are expecting Tesla to outperform consensus earnings estimates for 1Q and 2Q even if we enter into a recession. What other growth large cap out there can you say that about?

And a recession isn't a guarantee by any stretch. There is a valid argument that it won't come to pass. In which case, huge pressure is lifted from all large cap growth stocks (P/E compression).
An easy argument can be made that Tesla's current market is also relatively immune to any economic downturn / recession. Yet another reason why Tesla will be largely unaffected (my belief and expectation) by an economic downturn.

It's kinda shocking to see no self awareness from him 🤷‍♂️

I repeat my post again, Elon may find himself ousted as CEO in short time. I get the board is handpicked from Elon but between the amount of shares Elon has sold over the past year combined with the amount of volume all of Dec, there's a definite possibility of Elon being done as Tesla CEO

Once tranche 12 vests, Elon personally gains no benefit from the CEO title (and has said he'd rather not be).

However, if they ousted him from the company entirely, he would have only one year to exercise his 304 million options with associated basis and tax sales (>150 million shares sold, give or take).

As to self awareness, Elon has previously commented that TSLA was overpriced and valuation was based on future performance (thus tied to interest rate comparison). So, from his point of view, this may be as expected.

Apparently the overly reductionist approach Elon has to free speech applies to his understanding of finance too. Or, he's simply obfuscating.

Of course, he's right for the market as whole and it quite obviously explains part of the decline, but definitely not all of it.

Maybe he should go back to his somewhat-less-stupid NPV equation from last week. At least NPV contemplates a change in the discount factor above-and-beyond changes in interest rates.

First principles are a great approach to engineering -- it doesn't work as well with human decision-making.

(And to use savings rates as the risk-free rate! Ugh. Even his own dumb argument would better served by using T-Bills like everyone else.)