Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Real life data point. Margin cushion 9.25% remaining - and I thought I was being conservative ;(

Now I may have to really scramble for mo' cash. Anyone knows what IBKR's modus operandi is? Do I have a 1 day respite or are they going to automatically liquidate if margin gets to zero? Or should I transfer cash right away? (not advice accepted)

Now to check on Schwab's margins. Any hints -not advice/ advice - there too galdly accepted.

View attachment 863349

View attachment 863350
IBKR does not issue margin calls. They liquidate.

Inflation has peaked and will continue to grind down over the next nine months short of oil prices spiking to 150 - 200. Can’t say when it will hit 2%.

I'm not sure I agree with that. The CPI numbers are up across almost all key metrics, that was very unexpected. If inflation had truly peaked I'd expect to see many of those metrics down, not up. I think that's what is causing the overly negative market reaction, we haven't peaked, not quite yet. Certainly trending towards it though as inflation is starting to flatline.

Reactions: Kutu
I'm not sure I agree with that. The CPI numbers are up across almost all key metrics, that was very unexpected. If inflation had truly peaked I'd expect to see many of those metrics down, not up. I think that's what is causing the overly negative market reaction, we haven't peaked, not quite yet. Certainly trending towards it though as inflation is starting to flatline.
7C8DE3C4-8504-487C-BCB5-89A7DC692D63.jpeg

Talking about short term moves. Already said we may well be lower a month from now.

My point is these ‘hot readings’ are rounding errors at this point. The importance of them lies in what the FED will do, but the FED is already a known quantity. We are definitely getting 125 basis points this year. Known quantities are not usually what moves the market hard in the short term. Fear mongering certainly does.

There is no way to know what the CPI reading will be in December, but it will be at that time that continued misses may translate into more and higher rate increases, in which case more panic selling would make sense.
I'm just tired man, im 95% invested, down all time now. The portfolio isn't what I would call small either.

It's just a real grind. I'm not overly bearish but I'm just tired and also annoyed at how stupid J Powell is. He literaly said inflation was transitory and it isn't, it's so sticky that even after all these rate hikes it's still not peaking. I mean to be this wrong but be in such a senior position is very impressive.

Real life data point. Margin cushion 9.25% remaining - and I thought I was being conservative ;(

Now I may have to really scramble for mo' cash. Anyone knows what IBKR's modus operandi is? Do I have a 1 day respite or are they going to automatically liquidate if margin gets to zero?
IB gives no grace period. They will start liquidating within minutes of your margin going negative. You probably have at most an hour to try to salvage something. Try buying some 190 puts expiring tomorrow to give you some breathing room.

I'm just tired man, im 95% invested, down all time now. The portfolio isn't what I would call small either.

It's just a real grind. I'm not overly bearish but I'm just tired and also annoyed at how stupid J Powell is. He literaly said inflation was transitory and it isn't, it's so sticky that even after all these rate hikes it's still not peaking. I mean to be this wrong but be in such a senior position is very impressive.
Same here, man. I am getting killed. And I was stupid enough to introduce margin into one of my acounts that is getting blasted now.

And yeah, these FED heads….

A few possibly useful thoughts-
- Be careful what you bid on, you might get it.
- Do not use margin.

Am I the only one who wakes up, checks the stock price vs. my open bids for shares and LEAPS and frantically lowers all my bids most mornings lately*? The only reason I have anything left to buy with is my slow motion, painful selling of older LEAPS and even slower buying of January 2025 LEAPS. My account balance is a fraction of what it was at it's peak, but I've been riding this roller coaster a few years now; sincerest of hugs to all my comrades in a similar situation.

Life has become an exercise in rolling out LEAPS. Yes, perhaps I never learn, still playing with options. But at least I learned never to use margin unless I have a pile of cash ready to deposit...

*Often to wish, at the end of the day, that I'd not lowered my bids quite so much... only to be vindicated a week later as the stock price drops a bit further.

(Edited drastically for clarity)

Last edited:
Same here, man. I am getting killed. And I was stupid enough to introduce margin into one of my acounts that is getting blasted now.

And yeah, these FED heads….
Yer I was also stupid enough to sell "far OTM" puts which were margin secured. They aren't far OTM Anymore.

And another thing, Elon is also doing my head in. I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but he literally posted on twitter saying he had a bad feeling about the economy, then orders the company to reduce the work force / stop office hiring.

Then he goes and offers above market price for Twitter. Who actually does that? Imagine firing people from your company then going to buy a stock that makes no money for above market price.

Well, MMs and hedgies have piloted this ship into port with crafted skill. As a reminder to all, Stats for TSLA:
  • 52 Week Low $206.86
  • 52 Week Low Date05/24/22
Just like a well-handled brigantine, the pirates have arrived at the intended destination precisely on time. So now:

TSLA Pre-Market Low:$208.07 (09:17:39 AM)

Dry powder in the hold... Deck-chairs!

EDIT: New 52-week Low SP set at 09:33 ET (now let's see which holds the day: fear, or greed).

EDIT2: 52-week Low now at $206.24 as of 09:34 ET)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-10-13.09-33.png

Last edited:
IDRA casting press machines don't make exoskeletons.

I've been wondering, what the heck do they really need the 9000 ton press for to make the Cybertruck? It's supposed to need bending machines to origami the flat stainless sheets into body shapes, not load-bearing castings like an H-beam truck or auto. It bothers me hearing that IDRA presses make the "body" of the car when the body of most cars is stamped sheet metal.

I wonder how to move this post to the engineering thread?? Can I do that myself?
You talking about the Idra 9000ton casting press? It is for the rear casting as it need to be huge to handle the loading capacity.

Well, MMs and hedgies have piloted this ship into port with crafted skill. As a reminder to all, Stats for TSLA:
  • 52 Week Low $206.86
Just like a well-handled brigantine, the pirates have arrived at the intended destination precisely on time. So now:

Dry powder in the hold...

Deck-chairs!
So...now stonk go up?

• 52 Week Low $206.86

Dry powder in the hold...

Deck-chairs!
What is the significance of matching the 52 week low AD?

Reactions: aGreenGuy