Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we're talking about delivery experiences, I did my part for Q1 and it was fairly painless, (some annoying glitches in the app not allowing me to complete tasks).
I had the app issues also .. but those i forgot about until you reminded me ... like entering my Insurance ID card 4 times and every time it went back to expired ... better put a few FSD folks on a rotation to clean up the Tesla app ;).. i must stop obsessing

Super pump'd seeing this. Giga Texas is a go!

(just to be clear, that vehicle isn't for a customer, it is an engineering mule, but it is in the wild and driving around, that is why I'm super pump'd, 4680's out in the wild!!!)

Last edited:
I think it's kinda silly to compare a car delivery with picking up a Phone. How about compare it to ya know......buying a car from a car dealership. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather have Tesla's car delivery subpar service verses sitting in a car dealership for 4 hours as they try every attempt to upcharge/price gouge me.

Mods can delete this post if they want, I won't bother responding if someone quotes this. It's just silly to compare car delivery to picking up the new Iphone.
I think you are paying too much attention to the object(s). I read his comment to say that a purchase that costs $76k should have a much better transaction experience than he received.

Reactions: Drumheller
Texas is 4-6 times the size with cell production much further along.
Hard to compare this way. Berlin is just the car manufacturing and they haven’t started on the battery facility yet (or are only just). Berlin didn’t leave room for Cybertruck production.

Much of the space in Texas is used for other purposes or unused right now.

How many Gigapresses in Berlin? That is probably the true measure of the initial capacity. I know there are 4 in Texas right now.

A tornado touched down just north of Austin a few hours ago. The tornado watch expires in 30 minutes. Sounds like the heavy stuff was well north of the factory, hopefully no wind or hail damage to the factory or all the new Y’s sitting out on the lot.
They'd move the cars inside if there was a risk, but I witnessed the last F5 tornado when I worked at Dell in 97 and it was not predicted.

A mile wide black pipe that removed entire concrete foundations and left only dirt with gusts over 260mph.

So wait.....does this mean Berlin won the race? Sad day for Texas.
Depends on your metric. From groundbreaking to first deliveries, Austin was 1.2x faster. Giga Austin's footprint is also 1.6x bigger. So if your metric is square meters of factory/day, Austin was almost twice as fast.

sources:

3EE7F11F-F4E8-4CD3-8225-4B395912A4C0.jpeg
B413D23D-4892-4648-8522-99534E1EBFB0.jpeg

Depends on your metric. From groundbreaking to first deliveries, Austin was 1.2x faster. Giga Austin's footprint is also 1.6x bigger. So if your metric is square meters of factory/day, Austin was almost twice as fast.

sources:

View attachment 784273View attachment 784274
Just a fyi, Troy isn't a source and some of us definitely do not agree with his assessments on a number of things, the Gigafactory footprints being one of those and the actual sq footage of space inside that is useable for production.

Better numbers available?
I think there's way too many unknown factors about interior layouts, % of usable space per floor, production line speed/efficiency improvements, etc...to act confident of anything. We simply don't know enough, and we won't know enough. Shanghai was supposed to max out of 450k annual capacity and well.....they just simply sped on past that number to much, much higher levels of production output.

When it comes to the factory footprints, the outline of the factory is rather meaningless when you don't know those variables such as I listed up above.

As for your initial post, I agree with you. In my mind Austin won the race even though it won't deliver the first car. Larger factory that started 6 months later including a near complete battery factory when Berlin's battery factory is still in the building blocks phase.

Let's leave the moving of the goalposts to TSLAQ. This is not complicated, the most commonly debated contest was which factory would be delivering cars to customers first. There were also some who wanted to define it as volume production. So we could also see which factory is the first to hit a few hundred per day.

Sure, any metric can be debated after the fact but the contention was between those who thought Berlin would be selling cars first and those who were sure it would be Texas due to American productivity and German bureaucracy. The size of the factory or the complexity of various products never entered into this debate. It looks like Berlin is going to win this one even though plenty of people were so cocksure it was going to be Texas.

That said, it looks close enough to me to call it a virtual tie. Which makes me happy! Hats off to both Texas and Berlin crews who persevered through COVID, nasty weather and swarms of curious drones!

Last edited: