Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purely anecdotal and not in a great area to compare (Wyoming), but a friend of mine bought a Mach-E and kept telling me that Ford is better than Tesla in all ways.... and that the Mach-E could be driven on the same routes in the same time. Just about 6 weeks later they have found that driving from Cheyenne to literally anywhere north, west or east is pretty much impossible without going far out of your way. Worse than that, the charging experience is mixed and not plug and play as is touted.

You can take your Ford to any destination you want so long as it's Denver.

I thought Jerome was someone good at the company or something. Not sure what's going on here? But Tesla has long been a company where people burn out hard and then just up and quit. I wonder what this means for Semi though.

Tesla has dozens of senior executives. They don’t stick around forever. He did for 11 years, which is a long time. And he already took a lenghty break before. Everyone can be replaced, plenty of capable people around. Look at Zack replacing Deepak and Drew replacing JB.

You can take your Ford to any destination you want so long as it's Denver.

Maybe I don't understand EA's strategy, but it really seems like their whole goal is get everybody in an area to fast charge. There has to be 15+ stations all around Denver. They jampack their stations around big cities, but very sparsely in more rural areas. Seems their efforts would be better spent taking 5 away from Denver and putting one or two in Fort Collins, one in Cheyenne, one in Rock Springs, one in Evanston, one in Casper and one in Sheridan. Open up passing traffic on I80 and I25 to Montana without really changing the experience in Denver at all. Seems like a misuse of resources. My guess is they are trying to target revenue (eventually profitability) on stations where the people are, but it isn't tackling the root issue of EV road trips... at least right off. Maybe in a few years when they can afford to put chargers in a random little town.

It means the Tesla Semi is done and ready to go.
LoL what? You mean the easiest part which is the prototype is done? Until I start seeing hundreds of semi going into the Fremont Logistic lot, the Semi is FAR from done. The hardest part, which is building the thing at scale, is not yet solved.

So no his departure doesn't mean Tesla Semi is done. It means Tesla semi was not going in the direction Elon wanted, or Jerome just wants to move on, or someone have superseded Jerome in the semi project.

After hours price movement is trolling now.

1623106410811.png

departure timing couldn't be better.(Seems it was even aligned for initial Jun 3rd plaid event date). SP hasn't taken too big of a hit so far, and I guess that's because of Jun 10th Plaid event.
The semi delay has been supposed to all be about battery shortage, so hope it's nothing else.

How long before former execs can join another company? ICE EV programs have a lot of money to burn these days - so Tesla alumni should be in demand.

Last edited:
departure timing couldn't be better.(Seems it was even aligned for initial Jun 3rd date). SP hasn't taken too big of a hit so far, and I guess that's because of Jun 10th Plaid event.
The semi delay has been supposed to all be about battery shortage, so hope it's nothing else.

How long before former execs can join another company? ICE EV programs have a lot of money to burn these days - so Tesla alumni should be in demand.
Maybe ICE companies are allocating their advertising budget more towards poaching Tesla employees..... :D

I thought Jerome was someone good at the company or something. Not sure what's going on here? But Tesla has long been a company where people burn out hard and then just up and quit. I wonder what this means for Semi though.
Just finished "liftoff" a book about SpaceX early days.

Highly recommended reading....germane as to people burning out and leaving a hard charging enterprise.

well, getting the sub 2 second 0-60 and 9 sec 1/4 mile time with 18650 format and 2 motors is quite an accomplishment. no reason to have the cost, complexity and weight of 3 motors when 2 will do it fine. plus some spy shots of possible rear casting to save weight.

I'll bet that these changes actually result in a cheaper car to build.

I'm looking forward to Friday.

well, getting the sub 2 second 0-60 and 9 sec 1/4 mile time with 18650 format and 2 motors is quite an accomplishment. no reason to have the cost, complexity and weight of 3 motors when 2 will do it fine. plus some spy shots of possible rear casting to save weight.

I'll bet that these changes actually result in a cheaper car to build.

I'm looking forward to Friday.
Plaid is Tri-Motor and Musk said that it is cheaper to build than the previous S/X

Purely anecdotal and not in a great area to compare (Wyoming), but a friend of mine bought a Mach-E and kept telling me that Ford is better than Tesla in all ways.... and that the Mach-E could be driven on the same routes in the same time. Just about 6 weeks later they have found that driving from Cheyenne to literally anywhere north, west or east is pretty much impossible without going far out of your way. Worse than that, the charging experience is mixed and not plug and play as is touted.

Seems like this was destined to happen after he got demoted, but this will gain some traction with the shorts. Likely a good thing in the end.
A neighbor down the street got solar panels and a Mach-E recently. FWIW, the 7500 tax credit on the Mach-E was a huge factor in their considerations. One less ICE on the road, so while it definitely helps in the grand scheme of things - however it goes on to show how people do not look at the total cost of ownership yet, so there is still a curve to be had in the messaging.

That said, Ford has done a great job with this car... looks the part, isn't as boring as the Leaf/Bolt. Just a few years late, and a few dollars short when you look at where Tesla is - and once they experience the super charger network, anything else is a tough sell. There is only one way this goes - the more Teslas Tesla sells, the more Teslas Tesla will sell.

Also, re: Mach-E:

The Norwegian Automotive Federation (NAF for short) staged its second electric vehicle range test this year. It tested 21 new EVs, driving them on a full charge of their batteries, until they died on the side of the road. The goal of the test was to not only see the vehicles’ actual real-world range, but to also see just how accurate the claimed WLTP range really is.

The Tesla Model 3 Long Range was the overall winner, according to the source, and it managed a very impressive 654.9 km (406.9 miles). Next was the Ford Mustang Mach-E Long Range RWD 617.9 km (383.9 miles), or just 27 km (16.7 miles) less than the Tesla. The source points out the Model 3 it tested is the updated version with the 614 km WLTP claimed range (up from the pre-refresh model's 580 km).

Comprehension ability of Ford fans(?)