Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regular 2170s may generate more heat, the structural pack was 4680s, we know that combination works, 2170s may or may not work.

I'll take a guess that they will eliminate the welded wire to the cells and glue the anode and cathode to a metal plate with a material that is both electrically and thermally conductive. Then cool that plate. The glued connection would stay intact due to the rigidity of the pack and steel cells. The epoxy between the cell is air entrained to reduce mass and insulate each cell to prevent thermal runaway cascading cell to cell. The epoxy could even have some positive properties built in if exposed to high heat.

The material science in such a system would be state of the art. But the manufacturing could be simple.

I'll take a guess that they will eliminate the welded wire to the cells and glue the anode and cathode to a metal plate with a material that is both electrically and thermally conductive. Then cool that plate. The glued connection would stay intact due to the rigidity of the pack and steel cells. The epoxy between the cell is air entrained to reduce mass and insulate each cell to prevent thermal runaway cascading cell to cell. The epoxy could even have some positive properties built in if exposed to high heat.

The material science in such a system would be state of the art. But the manufacturing could be simple.

I think other car makers have done end cooling of 2170s....

We went down this rabbit hole because I was a bit sloppy with my choice or words, I was originally talking about the casting machines at Fremont..

What I outlined for 4680s at Berlin was one possible scenario, sure there are other options....

I have a question about electric vehicles that maybe has been answered before, but I haven’t seen it yet.
What do we do if the power is out for a long period of time (I.e. blackouts, etc)? How do we charge our vehicles? I wonder sometimes if this could be a source of “control” that the governing forces could have over the people. Hmmm...:rolleyes:
I think about this all the time, that's why I keep an oil well and refinery in my back yard.

I have a question about electric vehicles that maybe has been answered before, but I haven’t seen it yet.
What do we do if the power is out for a long period of time (I.e. blackouts, etc)? How do we charge our vehicles? I wonder sometimes if this could be a source of “control” that the governing forces could have over the people. Hmmm...:rolleyes:
No different than any other electric appliance: generator, Powerwall, solar panels. Plus if you can still travel at all, then the nearest charger that's functioning or at your workplace. There's no magic.

And I'm sure there's a better thread for this.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy and UCF3
@Sofie, if there is a power outage, this also affects ICE vehicles as no gas stations can operate. Gas pumps and cash registers run on electricity.

Sounds familiar.

Reactions: SPadival and zecar
Not likely. They'll be going into the S Plaid first, which doesn't come out until the end of next year.

Structural pack, castings and Plaid Model S are a whole other rabbit hole...

I'm still trying to dig my way out of the first one....

But I assumed the Structural pack and casting presentation on Battery Day related to Model Y, if true, it is an matter of when not if..

Plaid Model S is a low volume project, fair chance anything they do for packs will eventually be done for all Model S/X. ditto for castings, but I'm not even game to speculate on that.

True! Thanks for that!
It has been a thought in the back of mind recently as I look to buy the Model Y.
Amazing how oil and gas companies have brain washed us so much that we end up believing that finding oil wells, pump it out of the ground, refine it in a factory, ship it to a gas station, and lastly pump it into our car is the easier way to get energy for propulsion. A multi step process that takes months and massive work force to accomplish while the other solution is just sun, to solar, to car...at your house.

Structural pack, castings and Plaid Model S are a whole other rabbit hole...

I'm still trying to dig my way out of the first one....

But I assumed the Structural pack and casting presentation on Battery Day related to Model Y, if true, it is an matter of when not if..

Plaid Model S is a low volume project, fair chance anything they do for packs will eventually be done for all Model S/X. ditto for castings, but I'm not even game to speculate on that.
Anybody remember when the Model Y was going to cut down on hundreds and hundreds of feet of internal wiring saving time during installation, reduced complexity, and cost?

#pepperidgefarmremembers