Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla to install 800 MWh Megapack batteries for NV's Gigawatt 1 initiative
Tesla Energy, together with tech infrastructure firm Switch and asset management firm Capital Dynamics, is involved in a massive sustainable energy project that’s poised to become one of the largest solar and battery installations in the world. The initiative, dubbed as the “Gigawatt 1” project, is expected to generate 555MW of solar power and create 800MWh of battery storage for Nevada

That article says that Megapack can connect directly to solar with a reference to a previous Teslatari article that references the Megapack page
Every Megapack arrives pre-assembled and pre-tested in one enclosure from our Gigafactory—including battery modules, bi-directional inverters, a thermal management system, an AC main breaker and controls. No assembly is required, all you need to do is connect Megapack’s AC output to your site wiring.

I think they are confusing the inverter than connects the AC grid to the DC batteries. It would require an entirely separate system and DC disconnects to interface directly with solar.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldTAVguy
Ferdinand Dudenhöffer on Twitter - 2 hours ago: https://twitter.com/DudenhofferAUTO/status/1286646585108172800

Google Translation: Tesla 5 years ahead of conventional auto builders

Barron's - 13 minutes ago: Tesla Has a Giant Fan: Germany’s VW

Excerpt:

Dr. Ferdinand Dudenhoeffer, director of the Center for Automotive Research in Duisburg, sang Tesla's praises in a LinkedIn post written in German.

"While almost the entire [car business] sinks into losses in Q2, Tesla makes $327 million in profits in the operating business," he wrote, according to a Google Translate translation of the post. "Classic car manufacturers have to get faster."

Last edited:
Tesla to install 800 MWh Megapack batteries for NV's Gigawatt 1 initiative
Tesla Energy, together with tech infrastructure firm Switch and asset management firm Capital Dynamics, is involved in a massive sustainable energy project that’s poised to become one of the largest solar and battery installations in the world. The initiative, dubbed as the “Gigawatt 1” project, is expected to generate 555MW of solar power and create 800MWh of battery storage for Nevada
10,000 Model 3s.

Chamath is being a little bit reductive to get his point across. TE won't be providing the main source of growth for many years. MY, CT, Semi and M2 are all huge.

Billionaires like Chamath Palihapitiya are billionaires because they are constantly looking at a bigger picture than those around them. Chamath is saying the size of the opportunity in the energy markets is many multiples of the size of the auto market. He's not speaking to what will cause the next 2 years growth (that will be autos and trucks). TSLA's current valuation is based on autos and trucks. He's already won that bet, and in a big way. Is he selling out? No, now his bet is on energy. When markets are forward looking (and they are) the winners look further forward. Chamath is a winner.

Put another way, "You ain't seen nothing yet".

Only trying to give more information for members to work with when investing. If you don’t have anything constructive to add and don’t think it helps you, feel free to block me.
I guess I did what you did..and didn't give enough information for you to understand what I was posting...
I see people take the least amount of effort possible to "share" information here. And it gets old, real old. Giving YOUR insight when giving some "stuff" that doesn't make sense to most of the people in the world isn't "helpful" except to the few that you think about. And honestly they probably already have access to what you lazily dumped into the thread.
As to needing your permission to block you.... droll at best.
BTW I am NOT giving you permission to block me. (Now does that make as little sense to you as you "freeing" me to block you?
Come on guy, just give us newbies and clueless a little insight as to why you are posting what you post.

The daily/hourly SP move is actually meaningless if you are long, and the most important $ figure for me is at retirement time when i cash out. That's one key takeaway I learned in this forum.

Some people are still trying to not learn that lesson. Because they refuse to see the bigger picture.

It's hard work but someone has to do it so the rest of us can coast on easy street! Here's a big shout out to those dedicated souls! Thank you for all your hard work and resources! ;)