Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

China says U.S. orders it to close its consulate in Houston

upload_2020-7-22_2-7-25.png

So I guess it will be Waymo vs Tesla, with all the legacy industry choosing Waymo. Feels like iOS vs Android.

Waymo
+Longest time in development
+Best AI team
+Google Cloud Compute
+High quality narrow dataset
-Need to work with slow development in legacy industry, non-vertically integrated, multiple platforms
-Lacking diverse dataset right now

Tesla
+Rapid progress
+Good AI team
+Dojo
+Largest and most diverse dataset
+Vertical integration
+Only EVs(good for power supple to hardware)
-Stuck with current sensor suit

Other contenders: Amazon, Baidu

So I guess it will be Waymo vs Tesla, with all the legacy industry choosing Waymo. Feels like iOS vs Android.

Waymo
+Best AI team
+Google Cloud Compute
-Need to work with slow development in legacy industry, non-vertically integrated, multiple platforms

Tesla
+Rapid progress
+Good AI team
+Dojo
+Vertical integration

A key differentiator is IMO the business model.

Wamo is a few commercial only and with driver requirements, usable in limited areas of the world, and high senor costs a business model that won't create high profit for a longer time. Without solving vision, Waymo will not solve FSD too which required much more real life data from all regions of the world.

Tesla is privately owned vehicles with scale and maybe later commercial Robotaxis but the break-even is much lower, it can be used almost everywhere but depends of course also on regulation. Tesla will print money because of the mass amount of vehicles on our roads in different continents. Tesla can offer what Wamo offers plus many more services in many more regions for users.

Maybe...

If D is dimension then 2.5 is interpreting 2D as 3D imperfectly. 4D is 3D plus time as a dimension. Perhaps with predictions on velocity changes due to braking/collisions etc

2.5D is a term used by video game developers to classify their rendering / world engine. One of the most famous examples of a game with a 2.5D engine is DOOM (Id Software, 1993).

The biggest issue with 2.5D engines is that sprites can not be stacked vertically. Like going under a bridge. Sound familiar?

Cheers!

Waymo
+Best AI team
+Google Cloud Compute

Tesla
+Rapid progress
+Good AI team
+Dojo
+Vertical integration

Tesla vs Google(Waymo)-FCA (Stellantis) vs Legacy OEM-Mobileye(Intel)

Then there is Amazon(Rivian?), Baidu, Apple (may partner with VW?)

Waymo
+Best AI team
+Google Cloud Compute

Tesla
+Rapid progress
+Good AI team
+Dojo
+Vertical integration

I'll take Tesla's AI team over Waymo's any day of the week. Karpathy is a rock star.

Also, you forgot what is in my opinion Waymo's (and all of Tesla's competition's) biggest issue. Nobody except for Tesla has a viable plan to convince regulators to actually allow their cars to drive around as robotaxis en-masse. Nobody but Tesla has any way to gather enough data to without a doubt prove that their system is safer than a human. Considering there is a fatality every ~110-115M miles in the US (less frequently in a lot of other countries), going to regulators with anything less than a billion miles is never going to work. Ideally you show them billions or tens of billions of miles with significantly less accidents than the norm, and then it's a no-brainer for regulators to approve your system, because it has statistically proven that it will safe lives.

You're also forgetting about Tesla's AI chip, which is at least 1-2 years ahead of any competition.

There's also scalability. Waymo's strategy, which is reliant on HD maps, is not scalable, whereas all Tesla has to do is upload the software, perhaps make some adjustments for certain jurisdictions (elephants in India/Africa?), and their system works globally.

Vertical integration is like 5 pluspoints all in one. Waymo won't just have to partner with OEMs, but also with dealership networks if it wants to service its cars. Same story for insurance. Same story for charging infrastructure. And who's going to design a snake-charger for Waymo?

I could go on and on, but there's truly no comparison between Waymo and Tesla. It's like comparing Mike Tyson with a teenager who's been boxing for a couple of months.

Lastly, I'm not aware of Amazon's nor Baidu's FSD development efforts, but Intel Mobileye is #2 in the race as far as I'm aware. Far behind Tesla, but definitely a much better strategy than Waymo. In the Mike Tyson and teenager analogy, I'd call Mobileye a strong amateur boxer, or perhaps somebody who's about to go pro.