Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'd be quite strange if April production was only ~3.5k, because March was far higher. Even February was higher than that if I'm not mistaken.

Official numbers for April production came out at over 11k. I guess it's not impossible for that number to be incorrect, but unlikely imo. I think it's more likely inventories in China increased a fair bit, and maybe even some cars were shipped to APAC pre-price cut in China?

I just got done listening to Rob’s latest podcast. He expects the production and sales numbers to be announced on Friday 2 PM Shanghai time, not sure if those numbers are coming from Tesla or CPCA

I just got done listening to Rob’s latest podcast. He expects the production and sales numbers to be announced on Friday 2 PM Shanghai time, not sure if those numbers are coming from Tesla or CPCA
Rob was reporting on this tweet from China local blogger "Moneyball". It's a scheduled Press Conference by the China Assoc. of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM):

That's Fri, June 10th @ 2 PM Beijing time (that's 2 AM Friday NYC time)

Cheers!

On the subject of Nikola...

I’m a 64 year old electrician, and I have lost a step or two. I do not possess the speed and agility of my youth. That said, I can install a 240 volt outlet in your garage, in an hour or so. I can have you charging that new Tesla pretty darn quick; and reasonably inexpensive.

Just a little blue-collar horse sense.
How long would it take you to install a hydrogen supply? Or is that more of a simple job for a plumber? /S

Odd, and seemingly innocuous story in Electrek this evening: Tesla hires guy behind Apple Pay to lead Supercharger experience. What you want to improve? - Electrek

Tesla has hired Michael Rihani, the Apple manager behind Apple Pay and Apple Cash, to lead the Supercharger User Experience and Strategy team.

Fred's take on it is that Tesla is doing it to improve the Supercharger experience... But honestly what could they improve upon? You walk up, you plug in, you drive off.

A possibility I think Fred missed... What if this is about Supercharger experience for non-Tesla vehicles?

Elon raised the possibility of allowing third parties to buy into the Supercharger network back in 2018. And who would be better placed to figure out how to let non-Tesla vehicles pay for Supercharging than the guy behind Apple Pay?
Seriously, WHAT non-Tesla vehicles? You think it’s worth the trouble for Tesla to retrofit US Superchargers to accommodate all those Bolts and Taycans? That’s what Walmart is for.

More likely to be related to restaurants/cafes attached to the Superchargers. Didn't Elon talk about this at some point on Twitter?

That could even be related to opening up Superchargers to other car brands via the addition of CCS.

A restaurant/cafe would be at a larger site with more stalls. stalls could either be dedicated as Tesla/Non-Tesla or shared dual purpose stalls. Have enough stalls and the likely inconvenience in waiting for a stall is very low...

Overall the site could be profitable as restaurant/cafe/shop purchases would help.

It also defeats a possible criticism of Telsa that the charging network is a closed system.. if the process involves the addition of a suitable number of additional stalls, Tesla owners will not be inconvenienced.

A likely mix is 50 Tesla's for every Bolt or Taycan... these other brands will provide novelty value, and it is an opportunity for Taycan drivers to buy Tesla merch in the shop ahead of their next vehicle purchase.

NIO share price has been performing better than TSLA recently, although TSLA is already performing excellently.
Some of you may remember that I was seduced by my colleague to buy it at $5 in Jan. It went down to $2.2 bottom. That was a painful process but now I only regret that didn’t buy more with my spare life saving money.
Anyway, do you think the market is big enough for both Tesla and NIO (maybe many others), or at the end only one of them will survive?
I think that if you build a half decent ev you will sell it. Even compromised ones sell. A bit/very overpriced, slow to fast charge, passive air cooling, fake grill, not that aerodynamic, weird / innovative info systems, awful seats. They all sell in a way that ICE cars with same limitation don't.

Lesson to manufacturers - let fossils go extinct, go skunk works with a new brand, ditch dealers, ditch advertising, secure batteries, make cars/vans/trucks and make profits. Let fossil brands go away, don't push on a piece of string, stop advertising budgets now and direct to a small team of your best engineers in a new location where the corporate suits are banned.

Well until robotaxis anyway.

Daily OT:

I just charged at a 250 kW Supercharger for the first time and holy crap. I arrived at 14% charge. The speed of a charge is quickly approaching gas station speeds, I had about enough time to find a bathroom and randomly buy a jar of olives at this store and write this post and I'm already about to unplug and go on my way with 80% charge.

I'm trying to imagine anyone trying to even build out a charging network like this much less have 250 kW charging capability in the next 5 years and... Yeah. This is just one of many competitive advantages Tesla has that I just don't see the traditional OEM's being willing to invest and compete in.

22nd it is.

Tesla Announces Date for Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results and Webcast | Tesla, Inc.

23D404FE-0AE2-4E25-9583-0ED110F39ABB.png

Uh, no, not just in Cupertino. I've used superchargers all over California, Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming, and Colorado. Also, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Vermont. So, limited but varied experience. Enough to know that there are non-trivial issues.

I doubt very much that Maryland and surrounding areas have no problems.

I listed:
Scheduling, parking, routing, managing waiting lines, stall selection, food, bathrooms, WiFi. Lots of room for improvement.
But I'm sure that those who don't have home charging have a set of things they would like to see improved about their local superchargers. And people who tow trailers no doubt have another set of issues I know nothing about, It goes on and on.

Last edited:
Daily OT:

I just charged at a 250 kW Supercharger for the first time and holy crap. I arrived at 14% charge. The speed of a charge is quickly approaching gas station speeds, I had about enough time to find a bathroom and randomly buy a jar of olives at this store and write this post and I'm already about to unplug and go on my way with 80% charge.

I'm trying to imagine anyone trying to even build out a charging network like this much less have 250 kW charging capability in the next 5 years and... Yeah. This is just one of many competitive advantages Tesla has that I just don't see the traditional OEM's being willing to invest and compete in.
Joining some dots... If Tesla open up superchargers in Europe (most new car brands are CCS) and e-Niro/Zoe pulls in for a charge, then Tesla next to them, Tesla leaves, get replaced by new Tesla then third, it might mean your next lease/buy/recommendation is a Tesla. Charging speeds and charging competence directly advertise. It also prevents anti monopoly investigations and might open up public land which might be off limits for proprietary charging. EU is diverse with many local policies, restrictions and grants. Many countries are big on company cars. Your company may force you to have a non Tesla for a few reasons (too posh, not domestic brand, existing direct leasing deals, old policies). Seeing wasted travel time and employee complaints might break down some company restrictions. I see it as a win for Tesla as long as more charging stations open. It might also allow them to buy existing networks with hard to source locations especially in some awkward countries/jurisdictions.

Last edited:
No need for me to go back and point out what were in fact NOT facts in his many posts of recent and past; an intelligent person can read for themselves.

Oh my apologies. I was just trying to say, lets stick to facts, and not make things personal. But as you point out, I just do not have the intelligence to comprehend the situation. My bad.