Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 P85 and I'm on my 4th MCU. First one had screen oozing, next one wouldn't come out of reset, and one stopped accepting touch input. On the bright side, it didn't cost me any money and now I have LTE instead of 3G

There's a pretty big thread about it on Tesla's Model S forum

That being said, I view it as a minor inconvenience rather than some kind of massive problem.

Yeah and I had 4 replacement drive units in my 2013 P85 - didn't cost me anything other than the time to go to-and-from the Service Centre.

With my 2017 XP100DL+ I've had no issues at all with drive units.

That's how it goes with Tesla. If media trolls can't comprehend this then they're not qualified to write about it.

P.S. I loved that P85 so, so much, I miss it still, all that RWD *power* was just, well, mental!

We're staring at a 2-3 week macro downturn so put your big boy pants on and let's not howl "Shorts!" at every SP dip. I was tempted to sell at $1010 and buy back in late Aug, but then I remembered I'm a moron.

Holding forever, unless we hit something absurd like $2k in early 2021. Gonna stock to my strategy of buying oil industry puts on the upswings and churning out of them on days like today. Will take the profits from the next 6 months oil volatility and buy more TSLA one share at a time.
What would be a good entry point for some more Tesla shares? Have some dry powder. What is the upwards trend in 2-3 weeks?

Based on the current Covid19 stats from California, Arizona, Flordia and Texas, I wonder how they will get it under control. Another (partly) lockdown? Still don't understand why masks are not mandatory. Looking at Taiwan it clearly helps. Still bullish on Tesla in the long run, but worries about macros.

What would be a good entry point for some more Tesla shares? Have some dry powder. What is the upwards trend in 2-3 weeks?

Based on the current Covid19 stats from California, Arizona, Flordia and Texas, I wonder how they will get it under control. Another (partly) lockdown? Still don't understand why masks are not mandatory. Looking at Taiwan it clearly helps. Still bullish on Tesla in the long run, but worries about macros.

I'm in the same boat but have decided to purchase on Friday and Wednesday next week as to not miss out on the potential run-up for positive delivery numbers, profit in Q2, battery day and S&P500 inclusion.

Reactions: phantasms
I got scared this was the last possible time to pick up shares under 1k USD, so I picked up a handful at $999.99 just before market close. :D
Beware: I alternate between buying at the perfect time, and buying at the top and according to my notes this time is supposed to be at a top.

Guess my pattern still holds... I'll let you guys know the next time I buy!

JD Power… From what I’ve read of it, this “survey“ is structured predictably as a way to manufacture the negative Tesla story they wanted. All the usual suspects fell into line to broadcast it right at the end of the quarter. It is completely irrelevant to my experience from my 2015 Model S, and my 2018 Model 3. It is 100% relevant to every BS MSM clickbait article I’ve ever read.

In fact, Tesla is an oasis of innovation in the wasteland of yesterday’s monotony that this kind of 'industry (funded) report' is unimaginatively trying to resuscitate.

Last edited:
I'm aware of all that, exiting times. When will Tesla publish the Q2 Financial Results (Not P/D)? In September with battery day or do they have to publish it earlier?
best estimate is 7/22. Could be 7/29 if they needs more time to finalize things due to COVID but the last Wednesday of the month seems to have been reserved for Q4 lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeC
I'm aware of all that, exiting times. When will Tesla publish the Q2 Financial Results (Not P/D)? In September with battery day or do they have to publish it earlier?
Probably Wednesday July 29th. Q1 was Wednesday April 29th after market close.

Edit: Wednesday July 22nd is possible also. Last year was Wednesday July 24th.

• Informative
Reactions: capster and wtlloyd
Given we have many Tesla owners in TMC, how many received the Survey?
Most Telsa customers seem to be highly satisfied with their car.

Who provided oversight? All good surveys could just be thrown own, to provide a narrative that suits their need.

Moody Credit ratings, JD etc etc I just don't trust them --
JD power is paid by companies to do surveys for them. Do we really think that they are likely to find results that the company paying them doesn't like? There is a reason why GM etc. all talk about their JD power awards for quality (because they are expensive awards they want to show off)

JD power is paid by companies to do surveys for them. Do we really think that they are likely to find results that the company paying them doesn't like? There is a reason why GM etc. all talk about their JD power awards for quality (because they are expensive awards they want to show off)

In other words "JD is their Bitch" ;)

Yes I do- because it's how statistics work.

If there's no substantive difference between the 35 states included, and the 15 not, in terms of vehicle quality, then it shouldn't matter to the validity of the results nationally.

That's a common misunderstanding when it comes to survey data. It's not just the subject matter (vehicle quality) that has to be the same from state to state, it's also the demographics. People in traditional auto producing states could view minor Tesla flaws as more serious than the same flaw on their Ford or Chevy (and we don't know which states were included/excluded from the survey).

Can you unpack that a bit?

To my knowledge they send the same survey to everyone.

You don't know they send the same survey to everyone. Hopefully the survey contents are the same but the packaging can greatly impact the response rate and who (and why) someone might respond. JD Powers might mention the survey is done on behalf of Ford (for Ford owners) or GMC (for GMC owners) in order to tie the survey to the brand the owner purchased and make the survey seem more legitimate (which it would if it was being done for the benefit of the manufacturer). This could increase response rates. On the other hand, it would be fraud for JD Powers to claim their Tesla survey had the manufacturer's approval.

So again there should be no difference from one person to another in that regard.... and no impact of any kind regarding who 'sponsors' anything.

Everyone gets the same set of questions.

I would like to assume that is true but JD Powers didn't address the specifics. More importantly, the presentation of the material (as mentioned above) impacts the response rate (and this in turn impacts the kind of person who responds and their reasons for responding might be motivated by different things). People have conscious biases but the unconscious ones are the hardest to control for.

That's possible. But again doesn't really change much unless you have a reason to think upset Tesla owners are somehow MUCH more likely to respond than upset owners from all other brands?

I don't have an opinion on that because I don't have enough data to form one. Neither do you and that is my original point. There is a reason they didn't include Tesla's in their final results (because they wanted to claim it was properly performed according to commonly accepted standards). Obviously, it wasn't or they wouldn't have to present the results separately.

But they don't exclude it.

The entire point of the story was that they're publishing their results based on the 35 states they were able to send surveys to.

Wrong. They exclude the Tesla data from their scientific survey. While you can claim they published the results, they are not claiming the Tesla results are statistically valid or meet the same standards.

The larger problem is counting a minor fit/finish flaw with the same weight as a reliability problem or a car that needed a new transmission in the first 1000 miles. But, of course, doing it in a more reasonable manner would not add as much value to their paying customers (all the existing OEMs).

Seriously- they explain all this.

They've been doing this for decades- and their methodology has been explained a bunch of places.

They send a survey to registered owners (I think twice a year) based on public registration info, asking the same 200+ questions of everyone. They require a statistically significant # of replies for to be counted (which they GOT for Tesla), etc...

Nope. They didn't include Tesla results in the survey so those results are not held to the same standards.

Reactions: UncaNed
I see Fred has been reading the TMC boards again. Shame he won't credit you guys and Vincent for the work and research you put in on the Roadrunner battery production information

Btw he fails to acknowledge that these permits and requests were made back in March and are already approved and that the expansion work has already started and/or already done.

Because a large chunk of Americans was convinced by a propaganda spewing demagogue and his media allies that the virus is just a flu, it only hurts old people, it's a hoax, and that masks don't work and just show that you are a sissy. My bet is that cases keep climbing, deaths go up somewhat but nothing crazy, and America just keeps slogging through this until we get a vaccine.

RE Tesla? Heck if I know. I'm pretty bullish in the near term overall. Even before today's downturn there was 5 trillion dollars in cash on the sidelines, which is higher than during previous crises. That money has to go somewhere eventually. People can't vacation or go out and spend money on movies/restaurants. A nice shiny Tesla or some solar panels are possible buys though.