Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new gigafactories are going to great. 2 years ago, Nevada and Lathrop feeding Freemont was state of the art, making other OEM's supply chains look ancient. Now, all we can see is the inefficiency of three sites that should have been one from the start. Elon was indeed human in 2010 when he bought NUMMI...
Yes, listen to what Dr. Jeff Dahn had to say about Elon's vision in this TEDx talk from 2017:

3 years on, we know how this turns out....

Cheers!

I never really thought much about V2G, but I saw a couple videos about it, and I can see this being a huge upside for TSLA. If people can charge their batteries at low rates and sell the electricity back at a higher rate, then Tesla could offer people the option to have the battery be basically free if Tesla keeps 100% of the revenue, or you can buy it and keep 100% of the revenue yourself, or some points in between. I could image that demand would skyrocket if the price of each car dropped $7500 or more because you buy the car w/o the battery and Tesla provides you one for free. If anything happens to the battery, Tesla just gives you another one. Tesla then gets millions of rolling power walls out there that can be generating revenue.

Maybe I'm missing something or misunderstand it, but this seems like it would be an amazing battery day announcement.

V2G lite (my name for it) is simpler, better for batteries, and almost as effective.

Provide two charging options, “charge car now” and “charge car when cheapest”. Most would use the latter option when possible...

When there’s a grid surplus, send cars a price signal via internet, charging commences, or steps up a notch, voila, the grid is rebalanced. Vice versa when the grid is straining.

Saw the following new addressing system today and immediately thought of robotaxis.

3 word address: ///guard.cling.radio

It reduces every 3m x 3m space on earth to a unique 3 word address. Thus:

Robotaxi: “where would you like to go?”
Passenger: “In three words, guard, cling, radio”
Robotaxi: “108 Elizabeth St, Sydney City, is that correct?”
Passenger: “yes”

Also useful for police, fire etc. I wonder how often they turn up to the wrong Smith Street.

V2G lite (my name for it) is simpler, better for batteries, and almost as effective.

Provide two charging options, “charge car now” and “charge car when cheapest”. Most would use the latter option when possible...

When there’s a grid surplus, send cars a price signal via internet, charging commences, or steps up a notch, voila, the grid is rebalanced. Vice versa when the grid is straining.

That is step 1...

For step 2, Tesla still hopes to sell a Powerwall, both the Powerwall and a V2G car can consume or produce electrcity on demand..

For example Australian standard require home inverters to back off when grid voltages are too high (sunny day lots of local solar), that electricity from the home panels is then spilled. Every grid would do something similar frequency and voltage need to be managed and kept in acceptable bands essentially balancing supply and demand.

The good thing about V2G EVs and Powerwalls is they can act on the demand and supply side, home solar can only provide supply.

Tesla has all the technology and patents to be a major supplier and consumer in the grid, both via large capacity like big batteries and by aggregation of smaller capacities. Aggregation of smaller capacity can act locally where it is needed balancing supply and demand more accurately in local sections of the grid, making optimal use of home solar at all times.

I can also see Tesla possibly having larger solar installations at Superchargers and Megachargers in future, directly generating and storing a lot of electricity and selling some into the grid. The big advantage is if the grid goes down that Supercharger or Megacharger site can Island and remain operational, perhaps if there is sufficient local solar it could operate for weeks without a grid connection. (Perhaps in summer only)

Last edited:
I never really thought much about V2G, but I saw a couple videos about it, and I can see this being a huge upside for TSLA. If people can charge their batteries at low rates and sell the electricity back at a higher rate, then Tesla could offer people the option to have the battery be basically free if Tesla keeps 100% of the revenue, or you can buy it and keep 100% of the revenue yourself, or some points in between. I could image that demand would skyrocket if the price of each car dropped $7500 or more because you buy the car w/o the battery and Tesla provides you one for free. If anything happens to the battery, Tesla just gives you another one. Tesla then gets millions of rolling power walls out there that can be generating revenue.

Maybe I'm missing something or misunderstand it, but this seems like it would be an amazing battery day announcement.
With a million-mile battery, who cares if you waste a couple of 100K miles on V2G. It’s not like you’re going to do V2G at supercharging speeds, since home electricity connections are more like 50kW max instead of the 100kW+ supercharging speeds.
And a car battery is an order of magnitude bigger (100kWh) than a powerwall (10kWh). You basically just need a 2-way home EV-charger, instead of the one-way currently.

Apparently the first V3 Supercharger in Taiwan is under construction at the National University of Taiwan in Taipei. It’s a massive campus of course, but I should get the specific details tomorrow.View attachment 542301

Do you have any input to the Hawaii super chargers? They’ve been “coming soon” for years now, but supposedly there were Tesla scouts on the Island a bit ago.

Anyone dare take a guess for how many cars Tesla will produce in Q3?

Shanghai aiming for 5k per week from July, let’s say the manage 4k in average. Freemont at 500k/year in Jan, with plenty of time for upgrades in Q2 and Model Y should be easier to produce than 3. Let’s say they have 12k/week capacity in Freemont. 12weeks of production (12+4)*12=192k produced vehicles. 200k doable?

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and Drax7

Shanghai aiming for 5k per week from July, let’s say the manage 4k in average. Freemont at 500k/year in Jan, with plenty of time for upgrades in Q2 and Model Y should be easier to produce than 3. Let’s say they have 12k/week capacity in Freemont. 12weeks of production (12+4)*12=192k produced vehicles. 200k doable?

I'm a bit sceptical about 12K per week out of Fremont in Q3.

I think it might be possible if the following are all true:-
  • The 2nd paint shop has been restarted at Fremont - Tesla is allowed to paint 12K cars per week (CA emissions rules)
  • A 2nd casting machine has arrived for Model Y and is set up.
  • GF1 can produce sufficient cells/packs for 12K per week
On the other hand I think 8K per week at Fremont in Q3 seems easily possible and Tesla might exceed that.

I've speculated earlier that even with a $200M loss in Q2 it is easily possible for Tesla to easily qualify for S&P 500 inclusion after notifying Q3 results.

8K per week Fremont and 4K per week Shanghai shoudl be enough to deliver a very good Q3 result, assuming no issue with demand, my best guess is demand will not be a problem, Tesla will vary the Fremont mix intelligently, some of the uncertainly around COVID-19 may be starting to taper early in Q3.

Last edited:
Saw the following new addressing system today and immediately thought of robotaxis.

3 word address: ///guard.cling.radio

It reduces every 3m x 3m space on earth to a unique 3 word address. Thus:

Robotaxi: “where would you like to go?”
Passenger: “In three words, guard, cling, radio”
Robotaxi: “108 Elizabeth St, Sydney City, is that correct?”
Passenger: “yes”

Also useful for police, fire etc. I wonder how often they turn up to the wrong Smith Street.

Sure, but numbers are far better. Guard, cling, radio easily becomes lard, king, radio....alexa / telephone operator / siri -type issues.

The Q1 letter said that Shanghai could be at 4,000 per week in mid 2020. What source does your 5,000 per week from July come from?

I don't look at it this way at all. Perhaps you could label their actions as evil, but I don't think you can label any of these individuals (or almost any human being for that matter) as evil.

The reason for that is that we just don't have enough information about their lives, backgrounds, and reasons for doing what they're doing. I bet that someone like Aaron Greenspan, who's dedicating his time to fabricating disinformation about EVs and Tesla, had a pretty rough childhood and/or went through some severe trauma during his life to end up in a place as filled with hate as the one he seems to be in.

For a lot of TSLAQ folk, I wouldn't be surprised if they're suffering from loneliness/isolation, and simply need a place to belong. The TSLAQ community might be a way to make up for a lack of strong family ties and a life of rejection/isolation. Can you really label a human, who's simply trying to fulfill one of his most basic needs (human connection), as evil?

I'm theorizing here of course, but I'm skeptical that these people had a great life filled with love, and good role models. If they did, and they nonetheless, aware of what they were doing, decided to join TSLAQ and participated in TSLAQ's harmful efforts, then yes, I guess that could be considered evil. I doubt that's the case though, and either way, I don't think we have the information to make that judgement call.
I can't even keep the investment strategies straight on here. I certainly can't handle family therapy issues. LOL!

Dan

Frankly, this is a scenario where everyone needs to come together on as a society and say, "f it - we're going to make sure life survives for the future."
It's too bad the Administration is doing everything they can to make sure we don't survive just so they can have a few short term profits.

So for the V2G thing, is it a matter of charging overnight at a lower cost and then selling back to the grid during the high-demand daytime? Is a Powerwall required?
The car is supposed to replace the Powerwall. Presumably, the charging is done at night and the selling is done during the day, but not necessarily in the same location (e.g. sell power at the workplace). The beetle in the pudding is getting the workplace to do more than put in one or two token plugin spots, and it relies on Tesla providing the batteries at no cost because no one will want to reduce the effective battery life by fifty or more percent.

I'm not into politics whatsoever. I don't even know what left and right are besides two opposites on a spectrum of political opinions?

*I typed out this post, and then re-reading yours I noticed the "and I recognise that's not always due to economics". so I guess you don't believe that. So forgive me for incorrectly starting off this post with that statement.*

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these arguments sound like they're based on the belief that money = happiness. Growing up in an economically advantaged/disadvantaged household does probably correlate somewhat with a good/bad upbringing, but I'd be very careful to think those are one and the same.

It's probably an unpopular opinion, and I'd guess most people disagree with this, but I believe that generally not the individuals are to blame, but some part of the system. Either their parents, their education (imo every single education system is terrible), and/or bad circumstances. Of course there are people like Elon and Steve Jobs (adoption), who manage to overcome adversity, but I've been through some bad times myself, and the biggest thing I've learned is that in certain cases you can't claim to understand how others feel. Especially when it comes to pain/suffering, the rabbit hole goes deeper than a lot of people can imagine.

I'm open to changing my belief if given enough evidence to the contrary, but as of right now I don't believe that humans end up doing evil things if they grow up well, don't experience major trauma, and have all their basic needs met, which goes beyond food/water/sleep/housing and includes human connection, and physical and emotional well-being.

Maybe the problem is that that's still too uncommon in today's society in spite of all of our advances. But instead of punishing and hating the people who do bad/evil things, I'd rather focus on fixing the things that caused them to do those things in the first place. I don't mean to say we should give out hugs instead of prison sentences.... although... now that I think about it, I reckon people would commit less crimes afterwards if they were given hugs & compassion for 5-10 years instead of spending 5-10 years in prison :D

I came across this Reddit post a month ago asking about people who adopted children above the age of 5. I'd say at least about half of the stories are pretty rough. Don't think this is where my beliefs come from, because I've thought this way for much much longer, but even I was kind of surprised by how bad this was:

[Serious] Parents who have adopted a older child (5 and up), how has it gone for you? - Reddit

Meh.

You’re excusing people’s behavior because their childhood wasn’t ‘better’. If only everyone would have had Elon’s childhood...oh, wait.

You clearly have far more sympathy and empathy for people than I do. Do you think it’s because my childhood was less better than yours? That I experienced more trauma or less hugs and kisses from my parents? Why is Elon so incredibly sympathetic and empathetic? Maybe it’s exactly because he got the crap beat out of himself over and over again and thus has a much deeper understanding of the hurt on an emotional level than someone who wasn’t beaten: me. (It’s not the reason in this case - I don’t like people in general for specific reasons that have nothing to do with my childhood or parents, though I reserve the right to blame my parents whenever I don’t want to hold myself responsible - but it is for others.)

That single example counters your entire premise. I can list thousands of contrary ones. It’s not about one’s upbringing unless that person wants to make it about that.

Once we reach maturity we decide to live by our past or choose another way. Yes, we do. Lots of people say, ‘I will never treat my children the way I was treated.’ And they don’t. They do better. Lots of people make no conscious choice or effort and treat their children as they were treated.

A person can do anything they want and set their mind to barring brain injury or mental illness that interrupts correct brain function.

I could, in fact, choose to work toward increased sympathy and empathy for others. I choose not to. I have my excuses and I own them.

Self awareness is not something everyone cares to embrace. Lots of people aren’t interested in knowing why they do what they do. They’d rather respond to the world at their baser level - TSLAQ members.

People are interesting and fascinating and complex and simple and good and evil and broken and stupid and brilliant and greedy and generous and hardworking and lazy and they suck, often times because of or in spite of their childhoods.

We consciously get to choose to be better and do better and be responsible for our actions. We can be like Elon or we can be like Mark Spiegel or anywhere in between.

TSLAQ members can bite me. I will drive right on by them, while they’re being attacked by zombies. On the other hand, I’d stop and risk my life for anyone who’s run their Tesla battery to zero.

Maybe we could get through Q2 first and see where the factories are following the reopening of the world?