Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are a liability that they have to carry on the books, which companies like to clear off. Also, the offer came with a clearly spelled out expiration. And it sounds like you got a 3.5+ month grace period already...
I wonder if it is too late for these provision releases to be counted in Q1. Wiping out free miles that should have been wiped out earlier and releasing a provision sounds exactly like what you would expect a good CFO to be doing to manage the quarterly P&L. Or going back to those hollow logs as @The Accountant calls them.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I think Cybertruck is the most likely first vehicle for V2G, it should be a big battery and a "million mile" type chemistry.
Eventually most Tesla cars will probably have this feature, but I don't think it is a high priority.
If they are already including inverters so they can add outlets to power AC tools/equipment then they would just need to make the inverter slightly larger to handle a house. So V2G would certainly make more sense for Cybertruck.

• Informative
Reactions: Thumper and MC3OZ
Is your opinion still tge same when it cimes to CMBS? I saw that you mentioned RMBS so wanted to see your opinion on the specific area I am looking at.

I am guessing commercial entities will look at this as more of an opportunity to get out of long term leases instead of home owners trying to keep a roof over their head.
I haven't worked on CMBS directly and do not know the nuances of the commercial underwriting process, ratings methodologies and structuring decisions - so would't want to speculate.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
I finished my Q1'20 Earnings Forecast:
  • Automotive Revenue = $4.96B
  • Automotive Sales Gross Margin Excluding Credits = 18.3%
  • Automotive Sales Gross Margin Including Credits = 20.9%
  • Total Revenue = $6.05B
  • Gross Profit = $1.08B
  • EBIT = $70M
  • GAAP Proft = -$150M
  • GAAP EPS = -$0.78
  • Non-GAAP EPS = $0.78
  • Free Cash Flow = $25M
Compared to Wall Street's current expectation of Non-GAAP EPS of -$0.10

For the full model on which these predictions are based check out my blog or the near-quarterly financials thread.

Last edited:
Tesla will build its own maps using driving data from the fleet, confirms Elon Musk

Tesla CEO Elon Musk just confirmed on Twitter that the Smart Summon feature in the future will use the GPS points from the maps/navigation data generated by the Tesla fleet cars that have previously been at that location, in order to further refine this feature, he was responding to the following tweet directed at him by @thirdrowtesla podcast.

What this means is that the automaker is already gathering enough data to be able to create its own maps or a routing engine that will help in navigating parking or private spaces much easier for Tesla vehicles resulting in a smoother Smart Summon experience.​

Source: Tesla will build its own maps using driving data from the fleet, confirms Elon Musk

The tweets: Elon Musk on Twitter

u/__TSLA__ on Reddit just posted a really interesting finding about $140M in deferred revenue from credits sold to FCA in 2019:

Just wondering, did you include the $140m deferred revenue from the FCA deal that Tesla did not recognize in Q4 and which is still on the balance sheet?

The 10-K put it this way:

"Deferred revenue related to sales of automotive regulatory credits was $140 million and $0 as of December 31, 2019 and 2018, respectively."

This revenue was earned in 2019, because Tesla lowered FCA's 2019 emissions penalties - but the exact sum might not have been known until January or so, with both FCA and the EU Commission crunching numbers of exact fleet emissions and penalties owed - which is why Tesla didn't recognize it in Q4.

We know that this was from the FCA deal, due to estimates of Tesla's impact in 2019 to the pooling deal, and also because the first time this deferred revenue showed up was in the Q1'2019 10-Q:

"Deferred revenue related to sales of automotive regulatory credits was $140.0 million and $0 as of March 31, 2019 and December 31, 2018, respectively."

I believe Tesla has the discretion to recognize most of this revenue in Q1.

Maybe @The Accountant could tell us how long Tesla is allowed to defer this revenue? I'd imagine not indefinitely.

Monro is being a dick (that’s a technical term) in this video. He’s disappointed that the world’s cheapest EV SUV cross over isn’t using a brand new highly advanced wiring system that no other car in the world is using? And then he’s disappointed there isn’t vehicle to vehicle charging capability? Does anyone have that?

Obviously Monro isn’t looking to sell any of his reports to Tesla...

His hopes for the wiring improvements are based on Tesla filed patents and the fact that Elon basicly confirmed it will be added to the mY about 2 years ago (guesstimate). So his disappointment is not unjustified in this.
The V2G comment is a less founded, but since other (cheaper) EVs will support this feature it's not ridiculous for him to search for the feature and not finding any indication of the (future) possibility.
Munro has found ALOT of things he likes about the Y, seems like you're not open to some negative comments?

Yes, I have done it in the past. And when I've done it (or had calls automatically executed) the message from my broker always says "You bought ...
Account: xxxx-xxxx Your 2 TSLA Apr 09 '20 $510 Call have been exercised. You bought 200 TSLA at $510. For details, see order #4242 on the Orders page.
"
That covers the executed part, but aren't you buying from the call writer as opposed to the market? Either the writer had shares which they no longer do, or they are now short shares which they need to purchase. The only thing that could push down the stock price is you selling the shares.
Oh wait: @Artful Dodger, was that a list of trades with their historical basis?(As opposed to the current stock price)
If so, could those have been executed long ago and the shares held time now versus exercise and sell at the same time?
Sorry to drag this on, but it seems like something fundamental I'm misunderstanding.

If they are already including inverters so they can add outlets to power AC tools/equipment then they would just need to make the inverter slightly larger to handle a house. So V2G would certainly make more sense for Cybertruck.
A V2G inverter also needs to synchronize to the utility power (grid tied vs island). Also important to have an interlock to avoid backfeeding. A Gen 3 wall connector could communicate with Gateway to achieve thst goal.
Alternatively, Tesla could make a combo wall charger + inverter product (like a powerwall without batteries). That would cost more, but also provide the additional utility interlink and allow any Tesla that can supercharge to be the source (DC to the wall unit) (not neccesarily a good thing).

Auto industry: China is giving cash to car buyers to revive sales crushed by coronavirus - CNN

This could be one of the drivers in yesterday's upward price movement, other than @Curt gettng back in TSLA.

"China is taking steps to try to shore up sales. Beijing last month announced that it would extend subsidies and tax breaks for new energy vehicles, such as electric or plug-in hybrid cars, for another two years.
The country had begun dramatically cutting those incentives last year in order to weed out underperforming companies. But electric vehicles have suffered more than the broader market. Last month, only 53,000 such cars were sold, a 53% drop compared to a year earlier. (That amount, though, excludes Tesla (TSLA), the American automaker that has lately been pushing hard for Chinese customers.)
Local governments are also stepping in. At least a dozen cities or provinces have encouraged people to buy cars, mainly by offering cash subsidies of as much as $1,400 per vehicle."

Interesting. Tesla seems to be the only exception, the only auto manafacturer, ICE or EV that is growing. Does anyone know why? /s
If you don't know the answer to this question, please read the last 7772 pages of this forum to find out.

Last edited:
...It doesn't matter if those (Teslas to Europe) are produced in Fremont or in China....
Curious if there is preference in Europe for Teslas built in US over China. My thinking is no, as Tesla will stand behind their product. Also reports of fit and finish coming out of Shanghai are very good.

Point of reference, I used to be a Honda fan, my first '83 Accord was built in Japan and I was disappointed my '91 and '98 Accord were built in US as the quality of parts was not as great. Testament, my '83 lasted 360k km, '91 lasted 270k km, '98 lasted only 185k km.

Last edited:
Curious if there is preference in Europe for Teslas built in US over China. My thinking is no, as Tesla will stand behind their product. Also reports of fit and finish coming out of Shanghai are very good.

Point of reference, I used to be a Honda fan, my first '83 Accord was built in Japan and I was disappointed my '91 and '98 Accord were built in US as the quality of parts was not as great. Testament, my '83 lasted 360k km, '91 lasted 270k km, '98 lasted only 185k km.

From a quality and technical point of view I don't think there would be a difference in how China built is regarded compared to US built these days.

The US as a country has lost a lot of goodwill compared to even five years ago but here we are comparing it to China and it's hard to lose that comparison.

Try selling one for 50k and the other for 51k and most would buy the cheaper one with no regard to where it's manufactured.

So I doubt most buyers would even know or think about where their car is actually manufactured. I see where a car is made as an almost non-issue for almost every European buyer. Actually building them in Europe in a year or so will of course be a plus.

• Funny
Reactions: RobStark and junas

I would say there is no preference.

Are American-made GM&Ford vehicles quality products? No.
Are iPhones decent phones even though they are produced in China? Yes.

Consumers are not stupid.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: RobStark
Elon and Sandy will be on the Third Row Podcast this week!!

tr podcast.jpg

Sam (confined in España ‍♂️) on Twitter

So I doubt most buyers would even know or think about where their car is actually manufactured. I see where a car is made as an almost non-issue for almost every European buyer. Actually building them in Europe in a year or so will of course be a plus.
Where a car was built used to be important for customers in Europe, but then it turned out that the BMW X series of SUV's built in the US were good enough for European customers so now the affinity is limited to where the brand's "home" is. Even that is becoming less and less important if you look at the nordic Volvo being bought by Geely and putting out quite decent and nice looking cars.

There is still some affinity - French cars are quite popular in France while they're not a typical holdout for German cars, and vice versa - but more and more people are being convinced that cars produced or from brands outside of Europe are of reasonable good quality and price.

Producing cars in Europe, certainly halo cars like Tesla, is on the other hand a big plus, if your competitors aren't as good or aren't producing competitive cars.