Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My educated guess is we'll be under extreme restrictions for at-least 2-3 months at a minimum. If the US can get its act together and coordinate a consistent policy response at the federal level then we may be able to relax some restrictions at that point along with massively scaled up testing and public health surveillance. This does not mean a return to normal operating conditions. Even 2-3 months of lock down is a catastrophic shock to small businesses. Even if the government gives the OK to open again, how many consumers will come back?

Over the next few months many businesses will become insolvent. Unemployment will spike. Deleveraging from secondary credit and loan defaults will cascade through the system causing deflation on a massive scale.

As far as what the broader market will do, that's tough to predict but I see it trading down significantly as fundamentals deteriorate.

TL;DR I think we're headed for scenario 2 and I don't see return to normal social operating conditions until 12+ months and it could take 1-2 years for the global economy to recover to pre virus GDP.
Yes, I think with a poll I'd vote for scenario 2 as well and don't think any of your extrapolations sound unreasonable.

• Love
Reactions: PlaidCPA
And I have had a PowerWall on order for 10 weeks now and I can’t get them to return a call. I also work part time for a local solar installer and we have submitted 4 applications to install PowerWalls and we don’t even get the courtesy of a reply email. It as if they do not want to sell energy products. Very frustrating.
Find a different third party installer. Ours had it all lined up within 2-3 weeks. Hi that was before everybody wanted to have it for their home office

I think after a month of lockdown across the country, yes, the population would essentially become emotional immune to news of a couple thousand deaths a day especially whens its been communicated that a peak is coming.

Not if one or more of their loved ones makes part of the numbers reported.

Human suffering is not easily forgotten. Think that has been true since the start of times.

Not every single American is going to get the virus. Even in a absolute horrific worst case scenario, not even close to half would get Americans. Virus like these just do not work that way and that's part of the reason I get annoyed with doomsday people here and out in life that make it seem that way. Even if the virus was left unchecked and no precautions made, it would likely die out naturally before a third of the American population got infected by it.

To answer you and RationalOptimist, I think after a month of lockdown across the country, yes, the population would essentially become emotional immune to news of a couple thousand deaths a day especially whens its been communicated that a peak is coming. I've just been around enough situations and people to think I know a good enough about human nature and how willing they are to accept certain things.

ok, so 1% of one third of the US population is over 1 million Americans dead. Are you saying you think Americans would be ok with that level of death?

I’m not disagreeing with your thought that at some point the death count becomes acceptable enough that people would take it if it meant the country got back to normal. But I don’t think 1 million deaths is low enough.

Wrong thread for that. There's a coronavirus thread.

I agree. I prefaced my post that this is a Tesla investment thread in my first words.

However, the majority of the posts here are not about Tesla, but about the virus. So I'm interested, besides many opinions on outside action on the virus, what personal action Tesla people are using.

Last edited:
Why are people arguing infection rates in this thread? Get that $&@+ out of here.

looks like stock futures are down 2% might see the 400s again tomorrow

you know why stock futures are down right? infection rate talk.

President just said on live TV less than 60 minutes ago that 100,000-200,000 deaths in America would be "A good result", as well as announcing extension of "self-distancing" advice through to end of April.

Wrong thread for that. There's a coronavirus thread.
We’ll probably open down 50 tomorrow strictly because of CV. Anything to turn this is relevant to if my April 17 options are going to sugar. Anything to force/shame 50% of the population on board is worth discussing. This isn’t deep in the weeds.

Sorry, but that’s not what this thread is. This thread is about TSLA the stock.

The largest impact on TSLA stock price movement currently is Covid-19 developments.

With Trump suggesting today that Self distancing practices may need to be implemented through to June, that has a real impact on the economy, and likely signals close downs (like those at Tesla factories) are going to possibly be in place longer than expected. If you would rather not know how things like this impact Tesla and TSLA that's your choice I suppose.