Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Boy, I don't see anything urban about any vehicle 20' long really. Urban is small and space efficient as I see it. This thing exudes military quality to me. No chrome, no color scheme, high clearance, quiet, minimized lights and protuberances and lightly armored. The battery pack is probably somewhat effective in protecting occupants from below. There will probably be a bio-defense system. There are so many ways to go with this but it is not for everyone certainly. I like it more and more.

Our local sheriffs would find a lot to like IMO. I would think a lot of government organizations would find this vehicle interesting.
Perhaps urban was not the right word. Let's use cyberpunk as an adjective. It's cyberpunk. Which is not what the majority of F150 buyers are comfortable with. The red states. The red counties. It's a lot of states and a lot of people. We (tesla fans) are high on openness to experience, we are open minded, we can accept something new and weird. Red county folks are low on openness (as a personality trait - see Big 5 traits). So they will be less responsive to this. But they are the majority of truck buyers. But that's ok because as Elon has said and as he knows, this will not appeal to many. But yes it has perhaps more utility in a police/security setting. Big Jeb in Arkansas ain't buying this. It will not feel right playing country music in this thing. This is punk, hard rock, metal, hip hop, EDM.

I remember when I was scrapping vehicles with some friends. We needed to run a chain through a car so I could pick it up with my backhoe, one guy picked up a large rock and threw it hard at the rear side window. It bounced off it and flew about 5 feet in the air just missing another guy with his back turned, who couldn't hear us over the backhoe. Car was a Chevy Citation from the early 80's. Took a few more tries to fully break it. If they tested it ahead of time it probably did have previous micro stress cracks in it.

There's only one issue I can see with pulling an RV with the Cybrtrck and it's only relevant to 5th-wheel style trailers. The high sides of the vault will hit the trailer during radical turning, or backing into a campsite. Not sure because of my lack of experience, but maybe a gooseneck-style trailer might work. Travel trailers will work perfectly tho.
I think it might be a good idea to make those high sides of the vault either removable or able to be folded into the vault. Not only for what Lucky_Man describes above but also for aestectic purposes... I've seen some pictures showing the CyberTruck with a more conventional looking bed and I must admit, it does look "better." Even certain people from Georgia would probably find it more acceptable.

A cyber-model 3 / y would not appeal to everyone, I think most would still prefer the current design even if a bit more expensive.
There are still many people who can't afford a Tesla. Mostly, Tesla is software and supporting ecosystem, plus engineering excellence that gives you the best efficiency. I'm sure many who know this would compromise on the outer shell to get the experience, plus cyber is basically a style, one of many, which is not really inferior at all if you happen to like it.

I know Tesla has its hands full with tons of stuff and robotaxi may remove the need for any personal cars, but just an interesting thought - what would the streets look like if we had a lot of cars looking like the cybertruck. It would look like the future.

And a lot of stuff happens in sci-fi books and movies first, before someone makes it real. Could be one of these moments.

Reactions: skybluecgreen
Elon has already said he's not counting on this as a mass market vehicle but rather it's a passion project. If he wants to sell mass volume he said they can make a more conventional truck.

He's just saying they can always make a more conventional pickup in a coy manner. Because if they make the Cybertruck available, with the published specs and price points, they will sell as many as they can make. And Musk knows this, he's just saying this so he doesn't have to endlessly make the case that there is no reason to worry, demand will be there.

Big Jeb in Arkansas ain't buying this. It will not feel right playing country music in this thing. This is punk, hard rock, metal, hip hop, EDM.

I get your reference to Openess (OCEAN) and it is not for everyone. And there will be powerful marketing reinforcing the risk of change.

The looks will be a strong disincentive initially but the more they are seen the more they will be normalized.

The value proposition on these is going to be interesting. Low maintenance, low cost in use, high reliability (if kept charged).

The fascinating thing to me is the stainless steel. I have worked with stainless and I really like it in the right application. This truck will have a million mile motor and half million mile+ battery and will be nearly immune to dings, pings, fading paint and scratches. It should be an amazing value proposition on the used market. And particularly when there is corrosive salt in the air, this body should hold up extremely well.

We don't really know much about safety but I would guess that occupant safety will be excellent. Insurance costs might be lower after a bit of experience. No dings, dents, broke mirrors, cracked windshields etc for repair.

And this baby is made in America by design and fabrication. There is a lot to speak for this vehicle in our rural market or any market once the appearance shock fades a little.

I expect one of the early tests of StarShip will put one of these in space. First truck on the Moon maybe.

I think it might be a good idea to make those high sides of the vault either removable or able to be folded into the vault. Not only for what Lucky_Man describes above but also for aestectic purposes... I've seen some pictures showing the CyberTruck with a more conventional looking bed and I must admit, it does look "better." Even certain people from Georgia would probably find it more acceptable.
Wait...I'm from Georgia and I'm ok with it as is. ;)

Dan

Regarding the debate on whether to hold or swing trade, I cannot speak for people who have been in the market for a long time, but for new folks in the US like myself:

It was actually more profitable to hold through this drop than to sell yesterday and buy today.

My long term capital gains tax rate is about 10% lower than my short term capital gains tax rate. The stock only dropped 6% today. So by holding through the drop, and continuing to hold TSLA for at least 1 year, I've earned 4% more than I would have swing trading this movement.

Last edited:
I remember when I was scrapping vehicles with some friends. We needed to run a chain through a car so I could pick it up with my backhoe, one guy picked up a large rock and threw it hard at the rear side window. It bounced off it and flew about 5 feet in the air just missing another guy with his back turned, who couldn't hear us over the backhoe. Car was a Chevy Citation from the early 80's. Took a few more tries to fully break it. If they tested it ahead of time it probably did have previous micro stress cracks in it.
Hmm. I can believe that scenario. Might be a difference between flat glass and curved glass. Thinking about those old hydro-dam structures, which are curved toward the forces, putting the structure in compression. Any certified engineers care to chip in?

I think those high sides are part of the structural rigidity of the truck. If I'm right, lowering those is going to be tough.

I don't think the Cybertruck design is pretending to cover the segment of the market of people who need to tow gooseneck trailers. While those have become more popular in recent years, they are still just a tiny part of the market, I guess 1-2% of the market. The Cybertruck is more of a mass-market truck.

If the typical gooseneck needs more clearance than that offered by the Cybertruck, it *can't* be accommodated. Here's why:

As I've been saying for a long time on this Forum, the Cybertruck will be uni-body construction and it will be shaped like an arched bridge. This is to achieve the high load capacity and rigid structure necessary for high tow ratings and to handle like a sports car. I'm afraid the typical media commentator just doesn't understand this aspect of the Cybertruck. It is not evolutionary, but revolutionary even though they can't get beyond talking about the styling.

Musk and company actually one-upped my preconceptions by making the actual body panels a more significant part of the unibody frame (exoskeleton). While current unibody SUV's and cars use some of the thin painted body panels as stressed members, their contribution to the structure is somewhat minimal. With the Cybertruck the thick stainless steel panels really ARE the frame. You are looking at part of the frame when you see the body panels. Making the sides of the bed fold inward would reduce the necessary vertical component that gives the "bridge" it's strength.

This is completely opposite the situation with traditional trucks where the sides of the bed are only to hold the cargo, nothing else. They do not contribute to the strength of the frame or the chassis rigidity and driving dynamics at all. The bed is dead weight. That is why trucks have such terrible driving dynamics. In the Cybertruck, the bed contributes to the overall structural integrity in a way that makes it impossible to cut it down in height. This truck will appeal to those who want a REAL truck, one that drives like it's hewn from a single piece of steel, not bolted together like a bunch of un-engineered disparate parts that are mostly dead weight like the current cheap jalopies are.

Ford, Chevy, and Dodge, I'm looking at you! The big three pickup makers have been building the basic structure of the pickup the same since the pickup was invented. They are ridiculous! They are incapable of change and are part of the problem. The Cybertruck will use fewer and higher quality materials to build a superior truck that costs less, lasts longer and drives like it's hewn from a single piece of metal.. No more gas tanks, fuel pumps, frame pads, exhaust hangers, transfer cases, axle U-bolts, etc. etc. etc. Detroit has been doing it all wrong and it should be highly embarrassing to them. Their customers have been enablers of this bad behavior because they didn't know there was a better way. Leave it to Elon Musk to redefine just how good a pickup truck can be. How completely embarrassing!

And anyone who thinks the side windows were not supposed to break is not too smart in my opinion. This was a *planned* stunt obviously.
Elon says they didn't expect the windodws to break:

Reecepbcups‏ @reecethesaxman 2 hours ago

Were the windows last night planned to be hit with the ball? Or was this spur of the moment

Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk
Replying to @reecethesaxman

We threw same steel ball at same window several times right before event & didn’t even scratch the glass!

1:16 PM - 22 Nov 2019

And Tesla is pricing it the cost of a Model 3 SR+. That means that Model 3 and Model Y will edge down into Camry, Honda Accord and mid-size ICE SUV pricing to keep demand up as supply expands.
Yes, and the step down in Tesla's battery costs means that the Model 2 just became feasible. Toyota Corolla, Honda everything, just got gutted. Still on track for 2022 from GF3.5/Shanghai. At $25K each, Tesla will be printing money. :D