Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could be controversial, but I’m willing to bet there are a lot of conversations going on in the Pentagon today. The Cybertruck presents a massive military advantage, especially if the solar panel extensions offer 40 mi/day from sunlight (as Elon tweeted today).

The reduction of logistical footprint would be revolutionary in combat operations.

I am torn by this because it could lead to dangerous times ahead, but also at the same time a democratization/individual control of energy production and consumption for all Americans (and the globe).

The cat is out of the bag on the massive implications of Tesla/Sapcex driven developments, it will be up to people as a community to keep the negative effects from ruining the overwhelming liberating democratic/ individual broad based wealth generating potential.

Like Elon’s concern over AI, hopefully we can start having this conversation quickly before our worst intentions get to it first.

I agree, and as I commented earlier, the product seems like another step towards uniting the energy and transportation sides of the business.

Interesting the Cyber Truck Plaid like version will not be available til 2022. This leads me to believe the Model S Plaid, using the same powertrain will be available for order next year and not delivery. Just speculating, could we see a new gen Model S in two to three years?

I don't think it is the power train but the battery. My guess is they can put a plaid 3-motor power train on an existing 100kWh pack and sell that next year but >100kWh will be in the the 2021 time frame when some upgraded chemistry kicks in.

I love our Model X.
I prefer the Mars Rover.:cool:

More: Jenny just said that for decades she idolized the square boxiness of, eg., Land Cruisers, and that it took her a long time to like curvy autos. And she does indeed adore the Model X.
I think the totally new - not Old Box but certainly Not Curves either is growing on her.

Growing up in the 80s/90s angular cars were very much in fashion:

300zx - Google Search

ferrari testarossa - Google Search

celica 1984 - Google Search

But they never took the angles to such an extreme as this. This is a good article showing some of the history of wedge shaped cars which the CyberTruck takes design cues from.

Wedge Wonders – the Angular Era in Automotive Design

I really like this wedge design but only if it is done with rounded elements to soften to harshness of the shape like many of the cars in the above link. I also think the sides flaring out wider is an important aspect of the wedge design, otherwise the cars just look too boxy.

Stock might be down 5% or up 5% or do nothing but so far on my yahoo finance feed, surprisingly hardly any negative articles on the Cybertruck. I think the price of the 39k and 49k version genuinely shocked
Yes the price of the truck is giving the market pause, because the mileage claim of 500+ is shocking, and simple math does not add up to a 69k car/truck. And i don't think the pickup is superlight weight or using super light exotic materials. Battery day was named battery investor day just like they snuck in the word investor regarding the FSD update several months ago because they like investors, they are waving huge flags saying, hey we are doing something special here...

Selling set of 8 Cybertruck keys. $12
C9BB5C04-A483-43E4-BADA-C79FE9BA1B6D.jpeg

Batteries. Lots and lots of batteries with new tech by 2022.
I was thinking about this, and almost went 2-motor just to get the thing quicker. But then I remembered that by the time they get to tri-motor they will have perfected the process, so I guess I'm ok with waiting for so long

There's NO requirement for keeping body style. Obviously one can modify what's on top of the chassis.

It's a unibody exoskeleton. There's NO ladder frame. Changing the body style IS changing the chassis.

But it's okay, the triangle design minimizes the initial tooling costs, so there's minimal sunk cost with a body style change.

Some more perspective...

The year was 1938 and the best selling cars were the Chevrolet Sedans. 1938 was also the year the VW Beetle was released. The Beetle went on to become one of the world's best selling vehicles of all time. Some 23 million of them were sold over it's 80+ year run. Radical design change can lead to radical success. Utility and affordability often win out over pure looks. Just sayin'.

Dan

I don't know if people feel the same way but I think Tesla is leading up to raising more capital after the battery investor day. They have too many exciting things going on with a crap ton of demand. Not sure where they will deploy their capital (mining? more gigafactories?) but the world can't get enough of Tesla. Raising at $400++ is certainly better than $245.

Reactions: sundaymorning
I agree, and as I commented earlier, the product seems like another step towards uniting the energy and transportation sides of the business.
The other military implication with electrification and near “limitless” energy availability is in individual weaponry as well. Instead of “gunpowder” there can electric powered, rapid slinging of “bullets.” No carbon residue, significant reduction in heat degradation and again, at scale, a vast reduction of logistical tail to support such firepower.

As a reminder, gunpowder itself transformed the globe and gave rise to new empires.

It is safe to say, we may need to have this national/international conversation sooner rather than later.

The shareholder returns are going to massive, but wouldn’t want it to be on the back of “summoning demons” at the same time.

• Disagree
Reactions: UrsS and canoemore
Growing up in the 80s/90s angular cars were very much in fashion:

300zx - Google Search

ferrari testarossa - Google Search

celica 1984 - Google Search

But they never took the angles to such an extreme as this. This is a good article showing some of the history of wedge shaped cars which the CyberTruck takes design cues from.

Wedge Wonders – the Angular Era in Automotive Design

I really like this wedge design but only if it is done with rounded elements to soften to harshness of the shape like many of the cars in the above link. I also think the sides flaring out wider is an important aspect of the wedge design, otherwise the cars just look too boxy.

Don't forget Lamborghini Countach
lamborghini countach - Google Search

To me it looks like a F-117 Stealth fighter on wheels. For $40 - 60K!

O.T. During the first Gulf war I attended an Air Show that featured a low altitude fly by a Stealth. One of the coolest things I've ever seen.
It came in at a few hundred feet. Initially a black speck in the distance and 2 or 3 seconds later it zooms overhead. No smoke trail at all.
No sound either until it flew over the grandstand. Then the roar of its engines hits. A second or two later and it's again a speck in the distance. :D
Ohh, Yes! The stealth factor! Does this mean it'll blast thru radar speed-traps too? :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: larmor