Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard the owner of those two Model 3s also owns a chess board company in China. It makes sense.

They are practicing camouflaging?

Maybe demand for a checkered wrap met supply of desire to practice camouflaging?

In any case, the wrap is clearly a warranty case:

upload_2019-8-30_6-28-24-png.448239

Well, the src of that 'camo 3' pic finally shows up in Google image search. It's from Jay in Shangai

Yup. The same Twitter user that posted the fake '1st Model 3 made in China' tweet yesterday. That was fun for a day. At least if you njoy pranking InsideEVs.com

Note that it was twitter user @BarkMSmeagol (a known parody account) that implanted the 'longer wheel base' suggestion, not Jay.

Bark‏ @BarkMSmeagol

Replying to @JayinShanghai
Camo to hide a longer wheel base? (One can dream)

9:49 AM - 29 Aug 2019​

So just remember that @anthonyj likes to repost *sugar* he finds on twitter for lolz but he never includes a link. That ruinz the phun.

TL;dr When rumours run rampant, consider the source.

Here's a comparison:

upload_2019-8-30_6-33-39.png

upload_2019-8-30_6-34-13.png

I agree with @KSilver2000 that this doesn't look like a 'longer' Model 3, it looks like a mostly regular Model 3 photographed close up, which makes the closer portion appear larger.

This seems like low-hanging fruit for any 'citizen-scientists' out there that also own an AP1 enabled Tesla Model S. Just hang a 'modified' sign and drive past. If the on-board display shows a change in spd limit its reading the signs. If it don't, it isn't.
Interesting, that's how I experiment. Call it "Trial and Error", but I spend less time planning for the perfect experiment with DOEs than if I just try 10 things and learn fastest what doesn't work. Cycle Time Reduction applied! Fail often is my MO.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Missed you guys. Been dealing with Solar layouts, but the topic here lost some focus. Maybe a sign that a lot of people are learning about Tesla, buying a Tesla, telling friends and family about Tesla, buying $TSLA... and then they all come here.

Besides, nothing big from Tesla news and so I ignore the SP now. When I don't expect anything (for another 3-5 years... including legal FSD), I don't get disappointed. Just settling in for the long haul, you might say.

Looking forward to Q2 20'.

An insurance actuary friend did some digging on tesla insurance. Here are his findings:
1) Insurance is through State National, which is a big name in this industry.
2) Pricing and claim service are outsourced. Tesla acts as an insurance agent in CA to claim 15% commissions.
3) There is autopilot discount in the policy. No tesla specific statistics are being utilized.
4) Other than that, no innovative pricing structure found. similar risk factors and pricing strategy as used by other insurances.
5) Detailed filing of rate algorithm and rate tables to insurance board attached.
6) Page 3 to 37 includes risk factors etc for CA zip codes.

Attachments

• Tesla_CA Rating Algorithm and Rate Tables_20190408.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 70
  • WeChat Image_20190829232546.jpg
    WeChat Image_20190829232546.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 46
  • WeChat Image_20190829232601.jpg
    WeChat Image_20190829232601.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 34
  • WeChat Image_20190829232613.jpg
    WeChat Image_20190829232613.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 38
  • WeChat Image_20190829232607.jpg
    WeChat Image_20190829232607.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 39
  • WeChat Image_20190829232621.jpg
    WeChat Image_20190829232621.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 41
  • WeChat Image_20190829232628.jpg
    WeChat Image_20190829232628.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
One trick. self reported annual miles need to be fewer than 9000miles to get cheaper rates according to the rate table.
According to people in this industry, the self reported mileage will not be used against you in case of a claim. :)

An insurance actuary friend did some digging on tesla insurance. Here are his findings:
2) Pricing and claim service are outsourced. Tesla acts as an insurance agent in CA to claim 15% commissions.
3) There is autopilot discount in the policy. No tesla specific statistics are being utilized.
4) Other than that, no innovative pricing structure found. similar risk factors and pricing strategy as used by other insurances.
5) Detailed rate algorithm and rate tables filing to insurance board attached.

Here's a comparison:

I agree with @KSilver2000 that this doesn't look like a 'longer' Model 3, it looks like a mostly regular Model 3 photographed close up, which makes the closer portion appear larger.

Lolz, after a quick pass with an image editor, I think the twitter pic was photoshopped. I had to rescale the camo'd image width to 95% to get it to match the dimension of blue Model 3 you provided for comparison: (also converted to line-art to lessen visual distraction)

chk3.png

Jolly jokers. :p

Last edited:
5) Detailed filing of rate algorithm and rate tables to insurance board attached.
Perhaps Tesla is absorbing some of the 15% commission to keep rates lower/competitive, if that's even legal. Maybe just a starter program, till they eventually use more data and autopilot to reduce rates (further). Too early to judge.

But if Tesla can get a hub going for trans-Atlantic delivery, that can shave off half of the time on the boat and save money on crossing the Panama canal.
I find it weird that they don't do the transport to Philadelphia by freight train. The satellite picture shows the Fremont factory is connected to the infrastructure, and shouldn't it not only be be more CO2 2 neutral, but also cheaper when 1000s of cars are shipped to the west coast?