Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it weird that they don't do the transport to Philadelphia by freight train. The satellite picture shows the Fremont factory is connected to the infrastructure, and shouldn't it not only be be more CO2 2 neutral, but also cheaper when 1000s of cars are shipped to the west coast?
Not when the cars was held as hostage in Denver for several weeks, not sure what happened there.

Everything that's been hinted or leaked so far has reinforced the narrative that Q3 will be higher production. Wouldn't be surprised if the average for model 3 for all of Q3 is closer to 7,500/week than 7,000/week
Hey hey hey! Please stop the volume bidding war we do every quarter which ends up disappointing us.

That said, battery production increased at the end of last quarter so there is some hope for better figures.

Note that unlike gascars where driving them faster almost always gets you to your final destination faster, for EVs, somewhat counterintuitively, there's a practical speed limit defined by the average charging speed of the Supercharger you will recharge at: if you drive faster than this speed then you'll increase the total time spent driving and recharging.

For example if your next Supercharger session is going to charge you from 60% SoC to 90% with an average charging speed of 45 kWh (starting at 60 kW then gradually tapering down to 30 kW), and if we consider the Model S constant speed power consumption graph:
s75d_grande.png

Then driving faster than ~160 km/h will probably increase total travel time. If we also consider the more dynamic acceleration+braking cycles that high speed driving on the Autobahn requires, then with such a charging session there's probably diminishing returns at speeds over 140 km/h. (!)

If you allow the SoC drop much lower, and increase the recharging speed accordingly, then high speed driving makes more sense - but I suspect it requires 150-200 kW charging for 200 km/h peak velocities to reduce the true total travel time measurably.

The travel time optimization gets more complex if you have a fixed time quota until the next biologically forced charging stop :) - but even then it probably doesn't make sense to go beyond 200 km/h on the Autobahn, as power consumption increases sharply due to drag increasing quadratically with speed.

Maybe I'm going to plot my typical Brussels to Denmark route and see if I can model it with different variables, but the thought of it makes my head hurt.

I was always worked on the basis that if the average charging rate is faster than your average speed between chargers then the extra charing time would be less than the time saved on the driving stint.

Indeed, soc is a major factor. On my XP100DL, it will stay at 60kWh up until around 25% battery, then go to peak until 50%, after which it starts tapering off. I tend to charge until a) the charge rate drops below 100kWh OR b) I have 2x the range I need to next anticipated stop or c) I have 100kms of reserve until the next anticipated stop - because "typical" range on a Performance MX is a mythical figure, especially in Germany!

And GB/T (China).

I really wish CharIN would just declare CCS Type 1 deprecated and support moving to only CCS Type 2 in the future (since CCS Type 2 has taken off faster than Type 1, and is more capable). That split was a ridiculous idea.
The thing is, CCS Type 2 does not exist in the US. At all. And, that's because the Type 2 AC connector doesn't exist in the US either.

J1772 - that is, Type 1 AC charging - is quite widespread, though, and that's the entire reason CCS Type 1 exists, to have a single connector that takes the dominant local AC charging standard, as well as DC charging. To implement CCS Type 2 in the US, you'd need to have two connectors (like a CHAdeMO car), defeating the point of CCS.

The other way to do it is to have a government mandated flag day, on which all manufacturers agree to swap any CCS Type 1 charge connector assemblies in cars for CCS Type 2, free adapters from J1772 to Type 2 provided (so the huge mass of existing AC charge stations still work), and all DC fast charging station owners swap the CCS heads from Type 1 to Type 2. But, the US isn't big on large actions like that.

• Informative
Reactions: Thumper and Lessmog
Why the camouflage of it's two regular Model 3's?
Agreed, something is up. I'd put LWB M3 at plausible but needs verification.

The MS may not have succeeded with exec rear seats, but from my understanding there was no additional leg room.

A true LWB M3 could well be worth the effort in China, just as many LWB versions of other vehicles from other OEMs are.

It would also allow for an M3 ultra long range due to additional under floor space.

This would be a compelling product in China for premium buyers. Great back seating, great range, a way of differentiating between standard M3s, no tariffs. May Xi put in an order for one.

OT:
Future autonomous M3s will run in herds like Zebra to confused predators.

You may have a point there. It could be for testing AP against non-typical vehicles.

Or just free advertising.

Regarding HW:
My understranding is that the AP1 system is made of two parts. The MobilEye chip with its software and the Tesla board with another set of software. Post breakup, MobilEye stopped providing updates to the data stream from its chip (binary driver). Tesla has been updating the code on the rest of the system. Jason, (@wk057) made his own driving code using the data stream. (And will correct me if I'm mistaken on the setup).

As suggested, this could just be exchange rate adjustments. The pound has been pretty weak, thanks to our genius politicians.

edit: aha...was forgetting that the price changes were in euros... ignore my stupidity :D
Hopefully it IS a sign of decent EU demand. UK interest anecdotally seems very very strong. The #1 concern i hear is charging infrastructure. Not superchargers, but home charging availability.

As suggested, this could just be exchange rate adjustments. The pound has been pretty weak, thanks to our genius politicians.

edit: aha...was forgetting that the price changes were in euros... ignore my stupidity :D
Hopefully it IS a sign of decent EU demand. UK interest anecdotally seems very very strong. The #1 concern i hear is charging infrastructure. Not superchargers, but home charging availability.

According to the thread, it only happened in the NL. It could just be an effort to squeeze more out of NL - their order rate this quarter has been through the bloody roof :)

upload_2019-8-30_11-10-7.png