Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t believe the full interior refresh rumors initially. Then even respectable Tesla reporters started to spread it as news, even with a target release date of September.

Why refute those rumors only now? I know for sure, people have been holding off purchases to wait for the interior refresh, and they might be disappointed now, even changing their mind on the car all-together.

Elon didn't refute them now. He said during the shareholder day event that there will be steady improvement in the next few years for the battery range and it won't be before long before we see a 400 miles range car. Everyone just heard the last part and said "400 miles range confirmed for refresh..". What??

All the refresh rumors pinned a 400+ mile range car by Sept..which contradicts what Elon said.

Min 32 if you want hear it yourself

No, but I'm not qualified to educate them on FSD.
Maybe Andrej is more accessible?
Apply for a job maybe(not sure of chances of it being filtered by the bots)
Jobs. - AP design engineer
Jobs - motion planning
Might be a path to talk to him.
Hmmm. How to get a meeting with Elon? Might help a great deal if you resemble Amber Heard...lol

In the Philly area, a lot of people have long commutes (and we’re by no means the worst in the country!). Some from suburbs into the city, some from NJ suburbs to Philly suburbs, some even to NYC. If you’re commuting an hour or more each way, will a Robotaxi be cost effective? It’s a lot of time and/or miles to be paying for, ten times a week.

In the suburbs, the grocery store, gym, post office, or restaurant is 10+ minutes away. Is it going to be cost effective to add $10 to every one of those trips?

I get there’s a big market for Robotaxis in dense cities, and not as much in highly rural areas. But aren’t suburbs a bit out of the economic zone as well?
Clever marketing of "ride packages" designed to be a good deal for ride customers (based on their individual social media/Google profiles) so they'll feel good about those teeny little trips to the stores, but result in enough unused prepaid trips expiring that the Tesla transport network makes as much profit overall might easily address these customer's concerns about the overall ride network value.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden
I don't believe S and X purchasers will stand for a dinky 15" screen. It would sure put me off.
I'd love it if my 17" Model X screen was replaced with a smaller, sleeker looking screen engineered to be just as usable as the 17" monstrosity I have now! -Smaller target area that might get damaged, a tad cheaper to manufacture and replace, less gaudy looking. I think it's kind of dorky looking and a little embarrassing- "Look at me! I have the biggest display of any car in the world!".

I don't really dislike the 17" screen, but I'd prefer a smaller, more tasteful looking one.

Clever marketing of "ride packages" designed to be a good deal for ride customers (based on their individual social media/Google profiles) so they'll feel good about those teeny little trips to the stores, but result in enough unused prepaid trips expiring that the Tesla transport network makes as much profit overall might easily address these customer's concerns about the overall ride network value.
A round trip to the store is about 15 miles (unless I want to go to the store that's a few blocks away but actually takes longer to drive to due to traffic and lights and doesn't have the same items), so $15 each trip (plus wait time charges). Amazon prime adds $7.50 to the cost if you get your groceries delivered (the couple of times I checked), but getting fruits and veggies picked by a store clerk is sub-par, so trips have to be made. Driving the S costs 38 cents (plus 15 miles of wear and tear).

A ride package might mitigate this.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and UncaNed
Elon said "feature complete" which means that the first versions of all the necessary functionality would be available like traffic light and sign recognition. That's still very far from reliable FSD. He then said that it would take a year more for all the different functions to mature enough that it would be capable of FSD where "you could basically fall asleep at the wheel". But note that the car would still not allow you to fall asleep at this point. It would need regulatory approval before unsupervised true FSD is enabled.

Even in Elon's mind FSD is at least 3-5 years away.
Yeah, I think people are constantly getting confused by the timeline. The first level will be like AP where it will require active feedback. Then after a few years you would able (legally and/or functionally) to sit in the seat and just pay attention. Then probably sit in the driver's seat and watch a movie. Finally "get in the back and sleep".

Hmmm. How to get a meeting with Elon? Might help a great deal if you resemble Amber Heard...lol
If you look like her you can probably meet about any guy you want.

Reactions: humbaba and AndyH
V9 mainly. And the removal of the rear centre console in the X.
YES THIS*!

I'd LOVE to remove the front console in my 5-seat X75D. And oh, to get rid of 60% - 100% of my second row seats so I could have a nice big, empty, lower, open floor platform. I'm in love with the VW bus "concept" thing that WV, for reasons I can't imaginable, pees away their advertising money on.

*I really only have a front console, not a rear console.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden
I'd love it if my 17" Model X screen was replaced with a smaller, sleeker looking screen engineered to be just as usable as the 17" monstrosity I have now! -Smaller target area that might get damaged, a tad cheaper to manufacture and replace, less gaudy looking. I think it's kind of dorky looking and a little embarrassing- "Look at me! I have the biggest display of any car in the world!".

I don't really dislike the 17" screen, but I'd prefer a smaller, more tasteful looking one.
Virtually every person who has sat in my car has said something like "Wow, I can actually read the map". That big screen is what sells the Tesla. A smaller car, M3, needs a smaller screen, no question.

Some more details from the information on the AP team shake up story a few months ago. Glad they have brought Drew in, I think he has led on many of Tesla’s tech breakthroughs over the years. Mostly it looks like Elon moving neural net guys/believers to leadership positions of the sub teams and pushing/forcing out some other employees

“Among the people who left the Autopilot group are Frank Havlak, who led controls and path planning—basically, figuring out where the Tesla should drive—and one of his deputies, Nenad Uzunovic; Drew Steedly, who led perception; Ben Goldstein, who led the simulation team and has already landed at another self-driving vehicle developer, GM’s Cruise. Those four individuals along with seven other recently departed members of the team either did not comment for this article or could not be reached for comment.

Among those who were elevated after the shake-up are Ashok Elluswamy, who now leads the “perception” and computer vision teams; Milan Kovac, who works on firmware and embedded systems engineering; and CJ Moore, the head of quality control, who took over the simulation team previously run by Mr. Goldstein, according to a former employee. (An in-depth look at the Autopilot group’s managers and rank-and-file employees can be found here.) Drew Baglino, a 13-year veteran of Tesla who had been overseeing engineering for battery cells and other components, took over Mr. Havlak’s group. “

Who is going to limit the wide lane algorithm to recognize that if it is over 15 feet it is not a lane and the car should not be centering. The car should track off the driver’s side lane line when the passenger side lane line falls outside the 15 ft window or disappears altogether.

The car currently jumps to the right at every highway entrance merging from the right.

This unexpected behavior at 70 mph rattles the hell out of people new to Tesla. They won’t buy the car or the stock until this is fixed.

Ummmm.....there are 150 million average American families. How many 5 year old 2nd hand Leafs will there be out there? 1-2 million perhaps, Tesla and other TaaS will service the other 148 million, well 95% of them anyway :)
AND give those who could never afford/or apartment dwellers with no place to charge/park - their only chance to ever enjoy a Tesla.

Who is going to limit the wide lane algorithm to recognize that if it is over 15 feet it is not a lane and the car should not be centering. The car should track off the driver’s side lane line when the passenger side lane line falls outside the 15 ft window or disappears altogether.

The car currently jumps to the right at every highway entrance merging from the right.

This unexpected behavior at 70 mph rattles the hell out of people new to Tesla. They won’t buy the car or the stock until this is fixed.
It is doing this. It isn't perfect but it has gone from doing this every time, to only doing it 10% or so of the time for me. (sometime in the past few months)

Virtually every person who has sat in my car has said something like "Wow, I can actually read the map". That big screen is what sells the Tesla. A smaller car, M3, needs a smaller screen, no question.
It's a huge plus to anyone that isn't trying to NOT like the cars.

I think it's interesting Musk waited until now to finally refute the 'refresh coming' claims. I think the upgrades they were doing to allow room for Model Y production restricted the production capacity for S/X, and they're just now getting back to previous capacity, so now he can re-ignite demand. Maybe Q3 will be back near 25k?

He didn’t. He’s been saying that same thing repeatedly. Fred et al just always assume he’s lying, despite that being the exact way Tesla has operated for its entire existence.

Since when is there a law about number of years before a style refresh? Tesla does not follow auto company rules. If they did they would advertise and not innovate. They are constantly updating the tech and not just at new year models. The car is still the most stylistic of any sedan out there. New tech for other auto companies is more buttons and complicated buttons and controls. Nobody simplifies it like tesla and the style still not duplicated by others. Would like modelS vents to be changed to the model3 style and functionality though
Exactly!

For years I was pestered by "web designers" offering their services in exchange for mine. I'd ask how they'd improve my business website, and all they could offer is that my site was getting "outdated" and they'd "update" the design. I'm sure their "refresh" would have made my webpage DIFFERENT... but in my book, that's not necessarily the same as BETTER. Tesla is doing just fine with gradual improvements to both hardware and software that I'm the happy beneficiary of; I'd hate it if my 2018 Model X was identical to the 50th Model X off the assembly line with all the issues they had back then.

Last edited:
Exactly!

For years I was pestered by "web designers" offering their services in exchange for mine. I'd ask how they'd improve my business website, and all they could offer is that my site was getting "outdated" and they'd "update" the design. I'm sure they would have made my webpage DIFFERENT... but in my book, that's not necessarily the same as BETTER. Tesla is doing just fine with gradual improvements to both hardware and software that I'm the happy beneficiary of; I'd hate it if my 2018 Model X was identical to the 50th Model X off the assembly line with all the issues they had back then.
I have to assume that I'm not the only one that get's really annoyed when my favorite websites do a re-design that doesn't even offer new functionality. Great. Your web devs got to bill a few hours, but now I can't find anything.

I have to assume that I'm not the only one that get's really annoyed when my favorite websites do a re-design that doesn't even offer new functionality. Great. Your web devs got to bill a few hours, but now I can't find anything.

I'm happy when the only thing they change is the background picture.

Re, Rivian:

How deep is their battery supply?

article-1366811-0B32705F00000578-364_634x320.jpg