Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmm? Having multiple middle-men trying to take a cut of the pie will make other brands cheaper against TSLA which is a fully integrated stack. Not sure i get that logic. Think about the FSD chip. Buy from NVDA and get an inferior product which costs 20% more than the in-house chip.

*25% more. The new one is 20% less than the old one, making the old one 25% more than the new one.

If you were to own 50% VW (or almost any somewhat volatile asset with good fundamentals) and 50% TSLA, pair trading, would have made you up overall due to holding twice the number of shares. Pair trading for the win. Even on the way down is does tremendously well.

Now that advertising is a topic, does this mean the "production limited" paradigm is coming to an end?
I don't get that complicated with my investing. I'm not really one to own many individual stocks in general. Generally I'm an index fund person. I make exceptions for companies that I feel are poised to take advantage of long term cultural/technological shifts. Being a fan of Tesla does expose me to bias because I love this vehicle, but also gives me a better window into how the company works (or not) than casual observers.

My plan is either very stupid or very smart.

Hmmmm? Having multiple middle-men trying to take a cut of the pie will make other brands cheaper against TSLA which is a fully integrated stack. Not sure i get that logic. Think about the FSD chip. Buy from NVDA and get an inferior product which costs 20% more than the in-house chip.
With such a Tesla centric view there is no room for any company to succeed at anything Tesla is aspiring. A fallacy. Tesla is more hampered to achieve FSD through financing, shareholders and mismanagement than advantages from an active fleet of paying guinea pigs can every compensate for.

i just don’t think that’s the answer now. they can’t fulfill what they have. loading more orders may only make it worse. the next group of customers aren’t going to put up with the same wait and inefficiencies that the early adopters experience

At least that would show Tesla still has strong demand, especially domestically. For TSLA, that’s a heck of a lot better than worrying about customers waiting.

Overpromising? How is an overpromise on FSD worse than a car like a 3 series that has zero chance at ever getting FSD?

Maybe because one is an overpromise and the other was not even promised. People aren’t buying a 3 because of a stated potential for FSD.

Maybe it’s just within my network, but could be factual if we can see the data. The older generation 60+ around me, such as my parents and their friends, do not factor FSD into their purchasing decision. In fact, they seem to be the most wary of letting the car drive itself (even though it might be better for their age group, along with teenagers; to utilize FSD). They’re mainly looking at interior comfort and exterior design. Unlikely Tesla will change their interior design philosophy. So, there will always be a market for the big German brands.

Well i know its lethal to even suggest it but looking at the SP right now...I *think* that was the bottom?

For today.
Without any positive news from Tesla and continued weakness from our silly govt, I’m seeing sub-$200 in the trading range for this week.

The older generation 60+ around me, such as my parents and their friends, do not factor FSD into their purchasing decision. In fact, they seem to be the most wary of letting the car drive itself (even though it might be better for their age group, along with teenagers; to utilize FSD).
As a person in that age group, FSD is a major turn-on because I know that my reflexes aren't what they were thirty years ago, and they are not likely to get better. However, I'd prefer an X to a 3 because neither I nor my friends are as flexible as they once were.

The very same thing had already happened ~February of 2013, obviously before the “but, Elon Trump criticizes the media, you can’t criticize the media if Trump does,” game was invented.

Musk/Tesla had the temerity to call out the monkey business that John Broder had used to jump from his NYT energy sector coverage into a guest spot NYT automotive hit piece “test” of Tesla’s SuperCharger network (aside- the NYT’s automotive reporter’s review of the Model S several months earlier was glowing). Nearly all the media, from overtly for profit media to NPR, in lock step aggressively slammed Musk as a defensive ass for not just agreeing with Broder’s fabricated report and apologizing. It read very much like Musk was being shown the full force of punishment from the media tribe as a collective for not simply bending the knee for a member of the their tribe.

In fact, Margaret Sullivan, the NYT Public Editor who eventually acknowledged Broder’s piece was off (though politically/face-savingly watered down) included in her conclusion that her initial instinct was to simply take at face value a reporter’s claim over Tesla/Musk’s claim. Sullivan explicitly wrote that. It was only the fact that her brother happened to be very enthusiastic about Tesla and had reached out to her that led her to go beyond stopping at reflexively agreeing with Broder.

For those unaware of this- in the years since this incident, The NYT has 1) eliminated the public editor position, 2) promoted Broder to its editorial board.

Yup

(And Broder was promoted to the editorial board January of 2018, iirc. Consider what went down on NYT in 2018 ... Just one horrid story was covered superbly by @PapafoxThe Billion-Dollar Tesla Hit Piece | CleanTechnica )

The moment another supplier achieves FSD, it will undercut Tesla.
How and why can't Tesla match the cuts ?

Tesla's operational costs will be low compared to ICE - and nobody else has shown an ability to make profitable cheaper EVs. Don't assume others will have cheaper cars, even ICE - they apparently will rely on more expensive sensors.

ps : With 1 M cars and $1/mile charge, TN makes $81B per year. If they cut to 0.50/mile, they make $40B. Currently Uber has highly discounted rate of $2/mile avg.

Last edited:
As there is a lot of discussion surrounding Elon (of course), I would encourage anyone to read the Biography "Elon Musk" by Ashlee Vance.

I just finished it recently. It's not always complimentary, which is why I would describe it as "fair", but it's a good way to gain a deeper insight into the man, why he does what he does sometimes, and will give you a more realistic insight into him no matter your beliefs about Tesla.

Something that gets lost a lot in this thread: this isn't some CEO who is going to manage a company into the ground and then float away on a golden parachute. He's down several epic lifetime fortunes right now with the rest of us on $TSLA stock price. It's something that's easy to forget. He will either succeed in an epic manner or fail in an epic manner. Inform yourself and bet accordingly!

The older generation 60+ around me, such as my parents and their friends, do not factor FSD into their purchasing decision. In fact, they seem to be the most wary of letting the car drive itself (even though it might be better for their age group, along with teenagers; to utilize FSD). They’re mainly looking at interior comfort and exterior design. Unlikely Tesla will change their interior design philosophy. So, there will always be a market for the big German brands

Seems a little weird citing the 60+ age group as evidence that "there will always be a market for the big German brands"...

Am curious what the investor community makes of this. Elon Musk plans to port Unity and Unreal gaming engines to Teslas

I’m not a gamer myself, so I don’t have market perspective. Is there a market opportunity for this type of enhancement in the car? I can think of many things I’d like to see first, but maybe I’m missing something. Or is this for Robo Taxi time - give occupants something to do? Or this for some totally different technical purpose.

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and Snerruc
Am curious what the investor community makes of this. Elon Musk plans to port Unity and Unreal gaming engines to Teslas

I’m not a gamer myself, so I don’t have market perspective. Is there a market opportunity for this type of enhancement in the car? I can think of many things I’d like to see first, but maybe I’m missing something. Or is this for Robo Taxi time - give occupants something to do? Or this for some totally different technical purpose.

Robo Taxi entertainment. Movies, tv shows and video games.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger

The car will become and entertainment machine that happens to also drive you around. Similar to smart phone being a full computer that also happens to make calls. Long and strong

Don't know, but I think it would be cool to have a gaming engine to visualize on route attractions when on a trip (or just bored at home).

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger