Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the SEC is seriously worried about the judge dismissing their motion without even a contempt hearing...

It's funny but also infuriating that the same SEC who sent a demand to Tesla on 10am on a Sunday with a deadline later that day (!), who couldn't wait a single day to file their contempt motion (!!) - which motion removed $1.1b of market cap from Tesla shareholders (!!!) - the same SEC now wants to delay the resolution of this urgent matter another 7 days, when it suits them ...

Their argument:

Docket for United States Securities and Exchange Commission v. Musk, 1:18-cv-08865 - CourtListener.com

"Dear Judge Nathan:

I write on behalf of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission tor respectfully request the Court's permission to file a reply memorandum of no more than 15 pages by no later than March 19, 2019, in order to respond to new factual assertions and legal arguments raised in Defendant Elon Musk's Response to the Court's Order to Show Cause."​

Today's filing was the day the court ordered Elon to "show cause", it was his first chance to defend himself against the SEC's attack. Why is the SEC acting surprised that Elon is presenting facts and defenses??

But while the SEC's request is a bit unusual I think, I'd not be surprised to see the judge grant the request, unless Elon's lawyers are opposing it. She might also schedule a hearing.
If the judge has any sense of humor, they will grant the SEC's request, but give them until the end of the day.

Yeah, Canada. That's where Elon's family came from when his Dr/Pilot/Adventurer Grandfather moved from Saskatchewan to S. Africa.

Elon's mom, Maye Musk, and her twin sister were born in Regina. Kaye, Elon's Aunt, still lives in Calgary to this day.

So thanks, Canada. And ur welcome. :p

No offense, Lodger. Ribbing you, eh?

I occasionally crew for a buddy from Canada who retired early and who’s got a nice 45’ sailboat (Didn’t make anywhere near as good of calls on companies to work for myself :().

Of course, he made his fortune here in Silicon Valley. Another nice source of innovators for the US is Canada. As you were just sayin’ :p

I resisted jumping of the "bash the blowhard" bandwagon but yeah I think he deserved a little teasing.
I try to follow the sage advice of not criticizing someone until I've walked a mile in his/her shoes.

There's some good logic behind it. If I really piss them off, what're they going to do? I'm a mile away! And THEY DON'T HAVE ANY SHOES!

I have waited a while before making posts here, mostly because I was doing a bit of research to make certain of my views. The subject of my contemplation is, of course, Tesla and Elon in recent months.

First, some facts as I see them:
-Since Model 3 introduction Tesla customer service has suffered in every respect, including parts, information updates, ordering and delivering;
-Since Tesla first offered cars they've rapidly updated and improved every aspect of the vehicles themselves;
-Almost without notice Tesla has become a major global innovator in wholesale electric power storage and grid services;
Second, some historical context in an area in which I have personal expertise:
-Since at least PayPal credit card offers (Peter Thiel has discussed] Elon has thought about a problem and acted on his thoughts, often without considering precedent (on credit cards Citibank tried Elon's idea in California a couple of decades earlier with similar results). This specific insight was offering credit cards to anybody who wanted one. Years earlier, early 1970's, I participated in a project to lend money to anybody in Germany who applied (after all Germans always paid their debts). In all three of these cases the people who accepted the deal were not the people one imagined would respond. In my case the borrowers were 'guest workers'. In all three cases the results were catastrophic. In all three cases the people who made the mistake learned rapidly, albeit painfully, from their decisions.
Third, what all this has made me think:
-These days we call the kind of decision-making described above "agile",
-In more refined words we can call that the scientific method;
1. Think about a problem,
2. Examine the relevant information readily at hand,
3. Formulate an hypothesis,
4. Test the hypothesis,
5. Examine the results,
6. Refine and repeat as required.
-Elon lives by that process every day,
-Elon also openly discusses his process and the results, so,
-Elon is almost proud of his mistakes, but tries very hard not to make the same mistake twice.

So, the mess in customer service, parts supply, constant pricing changes etc. are manifestations of the same process.

Thus, I conclude that all this will continue to be a source of delight and dismay for everyone involved.

Conclusion: I just placed an order for more shares. A wild ride it will continue to be, but that is the story of my life so I am convinced this will be as it has been, changing the world for the better.

Someone in the media thinks that VW is actually serious about EVs thanks to renewed declarations of commitment (how short memories can be).

Not a lot there IMO, but the author posits Tesla might make money by partnering with legacy manufacturers. While it is clear what the legacy manufacturer would have to gain from this, it isn't that clear how it would benefit Tesla. The premise that Tesla would make money through partnering seems unlikely given that the legacy manufacturers can't even reach Tesla's gross margins, and in a partnership Tesla would be giving up margin.

[edit to add: I originally missed that the author seems to be in denial about the M3SR as he says: "[Tesla] only competes in the luxury end of the market". Yeah, right]

Volkswagen Is Planning an Electric-Car Onslaught. Here’s What It Means for Tesla.

Really hoping the judge refuses. SEC is delaying. Elon's team should make the case that they want this cleared up as soon as possible and that she should refute the SEC's request because it makes a very material impact on the companies value/market cap the longer it goes on.

Elon's team will have a night to think this over, but they might also have anticipated this move and might have a canned response ready already (not unusual with well funded legal teams):
  • Their response might be "do nothing, let the judge do what she thinks is appropriate",
  • or they might have an opposition filing ready,
  • or they might support the SEC's request, if Elon is allowed to file a rebuttal brief,
  • or they might do something else,
  • or the judge might grant (or deny) the SEC's request before Elon's lawyers have time to act.
Basically if Elon's lawyers want to play really hardball, they could:
  • Point to the harm the delay and uncertainty does to Tesla shareholders, and insist on a hearing.
  • Argue that the fact that the SEC needs another attempt is prima facie evidence that the settlement wasn't "unambiguously, clearly" violated, right? If the SEC's legal team needs two attempts to explain a "violation" of a settlement that requires accelerated contempt proceedings then it's not such an obvious "violation" the SEC pretends it is after all, right?
I'd expect the judge to be cautious. I'd expect Elon's lawyers to be cautious as well, until they have a good impression of what the judge is thinking about all this. Then I expect them to go for the jugular...

Last edited:
CNBC and BLOOMBERG speaking slot for today secured. Whenever one of these analysts lower or increase his/her price targets - he/she gets to go on stage and look intelligent. Adam probably wants to share some thoughts out of his ass related to the SEC. It’s also a big week for Tesla with Model Y - Adam just wants to make sure he gets to dance on stage a bit

Don’t hate the players - hate the game.

Pfft! I do hate the player because they always have the choice to not play the game and even go so far as to make their own rules. You don’t see Tesla playing the automotive game.

I sent a short e-mail with my thoughts about that.
"...I am a shareholder of Tesla TSLA,
I firmly believe you have filed a frivolous complaint against Elon Musk and Tesla.

This has caused me material damage due to a decrease in stock price caused by your complaint of several thousands of dollars and damaged Tesla

I firmly believe your complaint is completely without merit..."
(i expect no reply tho)

edited and amended, with cc to
Office of Professions Responsibility of the DOJ

[email protected]

"I am and have been for years, a shareholder of Tesla (TSLA,)
I firmly believe the SEC and Ms Cheryl Compton have filed a frivolous complaint against Elon Musk and Tesla.

This has caused me material damage due to a decrease in stock price caused by your complaint of several thousands of dollars and damaged Tesla
This has been repeated with many others

I firmly believe your complaint is completely without merit

I am cc'ing the Office of Professional responsibility of the DOJ and requesting any help they may be willing to provide to stop this farce
"

Last edited:
91sn32Q.jpg

Jeez, they purposely put easter eggs on the page :rolleyes:

What you posted went far beyond easter eggs.

Does this mean it is real? :rolleyes:

The Tesla Semi diecast scale model was officially commissioned by Tesla and meticulously overseen by the Tesla Design Team in California. The same 3D CAD data used to manufacture the actual Tesla Semi was used to replicate every detail, curve and surface found in the scale model.

Diecast 1:24 Scale Tesla Semi

Maybe it was pre-orders of that and they got confused...?

• Funny
Reactions: Sparky
It's funny but also infuriating that the same SEC who sent a demand to Tesla on 10am on a Sunday with a deadline later that day (!), who couldn't wait a single day to file their contempt motion (!!) - which motion removed $1.1b of market cap from Tesla shareholders (!!!) - the same SEC now wants to delay the resolution of this urgent matter another 7 days, when it suits them ...

This put me over the edge. I emailed Crumpton and politely let her know my opinion.

Would it have any legal effect if every TMC account had to actively disable a small-print message placed after every post saying something to the effect: "This poster holds the copyright to this text and it cannot be quoted outside of TMC without the poster's express permission" ?

With the prospect of violating copyright, Fred will then have to think twice before copy-pasting his stories from TMC.

PS. I have manually an attempt at such a message for my own account.
No, copyright captions are only effective if the owner of work is willing to pursue enforcement to protect his rights.

OK, I wrote to the SEC lady. I copy it here for inspiration, but I don't claim to be Shakespear, OK:

Dear Ms Crumpton,

I’m writing to you in order to express my dismay and disappointment at the current SEC charge against Elon Musk.

I am a retail investor in Europe with a long position in Tesla and I do not agree at all that Elon violated his settlement agreement, the information he put out on Twitter was already in the public domain - as was clearly demonstrated by the effect it had on the stock price at the time - zero.

All I see is that the SEC charges are damaging the stock price and diminishing the value of my investment. These moves only seem to play into the hands of short sellers and swing traders, neither of which I would classify as investors, the former group existing only to gain profit from repressing the stock price though any means possible, many of them apparently fraudulent, but seemingly never investigated by your agency.

I would urge you to please reconsider and withdraw the charge.

Kind regards,
Lycathrope (aha AskDrStupid)

OK, I did sign it as that, but don't want you rabble knowing who I am...